PDA

View Full Version : Electric smelter help...

TriggerHappyAndy
01-17-2010, 03:26 PM
I´m gonna build a smelter for pre melting and ingot casting. The pot I have is stainless and about 9" across and 6" high. I was thinking about using a heating band, but know little about them. As I live in Europe I need one with 230v. Can anyone point me to where I can get one that would suit my needs?

:drinks:
Cheers!

imashooter2
01-17-2010, 04:06 PM
One of our posters used several elements from an electric stove top in a larger version of what you propose. As I recall it, his was a work of art. You could get by with a much simpler design. Do a search and you'll turn the post up.

badgeredd
01-17-2010, 04:07 PM
THA,

I won't pretend to know all of what you are asking for. I smelt my WW on an electric stove from a apartment. Although I'm not sure of the diameter of the bigger elements, it would seem that one could adapt one with some sheet metal and angle iron to build a small smelter that was self contained. Just a thought that I hope is helpful.

Edd

imashooter2
01-17-2010, 04:11 PM
Here is the pot I was talking about:

http://hgmould.gunloads.com/newpot/instructions.htm

TriggerHappyAndy
01-19-2010, 11:55 AM
Thank´s for the help guys! imashooter: that would be the smelter of my dreams ;-)

imashooter2
01-19-2010, 01:24 PM
Yeah, but a single element under the pot you have should be pretty simple to cobble up and inexpensive to boot.

Willbird
01-19-2010, 01:30 PM
They sell those elements at the hardware store here in the USA :-).

Bill