PDA

View Full Version : New toy...1860 Uberti Henry...45 colt...and JAYS GUNS!

j23
01-16-2010, 08:02 PM
...well I went and did it again... I paid off my 'fun' card and then ran it up again. *sigh*

Ive been wanting a Uberti Henry for a long time, but at over a grand, it was a little pricey for my taste... however, everytime I fondled the one at Cabela's, I just melt..

Today I was browsing around GunsAmerica.com.. and found some Uberti 'demo' models at Jay's Guns in Florida... called down there, NICE PEOPLE, cant recommend them enough!!! They have several of the model I wanted (45 colt...) so the gentleman went through them while I was on the phone with him and picked me out, what he thought, was the best one... described every square inch of it... then sold it too me at the bargain price of $795. Thats several hundred dollars off of the usual going rate. I believe Cabela's wanted over $1,100 for theirs.

He stated that even though it was a Uberti Demo, Uberti considers it new and applies their warranty too it, as if it were.

He stated it should be in around Wednesday, so Ill post a report as soon as I can, along with some photos!

From what I gather, SAAMI 45 Colt loads are fine in the Henry, the same sort youd use in a SAA or equiv. I already ordered brass, dies and a Lyman 454424 Keith mold for her. I figure that 255 grain Keith around 900-1,000fps ought to do just fine for some plinking and short range deer, black bear and hogs; and Im sure a round ball squib would work great on squirrels and rabbits! ...and at around ten pounds loaded, Im guessing recoil would be nonexistant.

Anyone want to share some of their favorite SAAMI 45 colt loads?!!?

runfiverun
01-16-2010, 10:31 PM
you might need to load the 454 over the front driving band like a 200 swc.
i do with mine.
cowboy loads i use are 7 grs unique. [leaves a streak on the case]
5 grs clays,or 6 grs of titegroup.
you should have a powder in one of those burning ranges.

Southern Son
01-17-2010, 12:46 AM
Load her up with the Holy Black. You'll have a hoot. And post a photo of your new toy.

bullshot
01-17-2010, 08:42 AM
You are correct on the lack of recoil. With ear protection the noise is just "blap". They are a lot of fun to plink with. I have a Uberti 1873 rifle 24 in barrel straight grip in 45 colt. Using 6 gr Unique and a 250 gr RNFP boolit.:grin:

Rockchucker
01-17-2010, 09:56 AM
Would Jay's happen to be in Panama City, Florida? Nice people there, I belong to that indoor shooting range and have bought several guns from them also.

mag44uk
01-17-2010, 10:17 AM
I had the Uberti 1866 yellowboy carbine in 45colt and it was very fussy on projecting boolit nose out of the case.
The 250 RNFP style was great. I tried some 45 acp 200 gn SWC,big fail!
Took me awhile to get all the rounds back out the gun.
I think the Henry is the same receiver.
With the bolt to the rear hold a loaded round over the top and line up by eye to see if it will fit the space.
You will like it when it arrives!
Tony

j23
01-17-2010, 11:05 AM
Rockchucker: Right... from my understanding, they have several locations. Initially, I called the Panama City location... but the Henry I wanted was located at their Crestview store... so I called there and bought it over the phone. Great people, everyone I spoke too.

Southern Son: You know Im gonna have to post some photos!!!

Rockchucker
01-17-2010, 02:35 PM
The Creastview site has the outdoor range set up but, I've never used that range before. I said one day I'll get over there and check it out. We use our hunting lease for rifle shooting as well as a friends range. Good folks at both sites thought I've always jewed them down somewhat on their prices. Good luck on the new purchase I know you'll enjoy it. / Ron

Gunslinger1911
01-17-2010, 03:21 PM
j23,

brass or case hardened reciever? I wish I had held out for the steel rcvr - still the brass looks cool, one of the "funnest" rifles I have to shoot.

Mine dosn't like SWC profile boolits, any kind of round nose - flat point or not, feeds great !!

Wait till you learn the "juggle" to let the follower knob past your hand.

Enjoy !!!

Bull Schmitt
01-17-2010, 04:42 PM
j23,

In case you are not familar with shooting a Henry there are a couple of thing to be aware of. Do not drop loaded rouns down the magazine. Let them slide down gently. Do not allow the follower to slam down on a loaded magazine. Both of these actions and have caused the rounds in the magazine to detonate because the bullet of one round is resting against the primer on the next one.

The tab on the follower will hit your hand before you have shot all the rounds. You can either do the Henry hop or use a piece of wooden dowel to act as a spacer following the last round. You can even put a brass pin in the side of the dowel that can ride in the slot of the magazine and keep the dowel from going into the action and stopping you from closing the action after ejecting the last round.

They are hoot to shoot!! Have fun.

j23
01-17-2010, 07:01 PM
Thanks for all of the advice guys... I got a kick out of the "Henry Hop." LOL... but after seeing the tab on the photos, I get what youre saying... Im sure Ill forget for the first thousand rounds or so and lever home on an empty chamber at least a few hundred times. [smilie=s:

As far as mine... it has a brass receiver... I looked at the case hardened which are gorgeous, but for some odd reason, I dont know why, the brass really appeals to me!! ...besides, they only had the brass on sale as demos...

...which by the way, if anyone else is interested, he said they had quite a few of them... and that price is a STEAL.

...as far a bullets... :cbpour: Im rather disappointed that it most likely wont feed a 45-255-swc RCBS or a 454424 boolit. I was so looking forward to hunting some deer and hogs with it during this upcoming season. RNFP's to my knowledge, arent exactly ideal for deer, as the Keith style heightens the shock, and killing effect. No doubt though, Ill still try before giving up completely... though I am going to hold off on purchasing the molds before I can try a few bullets to feed through it. I already have the dies and brass, and about twenty or so variety of powders to work up a load.

Which brings me to my next and final point... a favor!!!

Does anyone have a few spare 454424 Lyman or RCBS 45-255-SWC's they could send along so I could test for feeding??? Id appriciate it, and even throw a few dollars your way for the effort... it would beat buying a mold I couldnt use!