PDA

View Full Version : What do I get?

Bullshop Junior
06-02-2006, 12:54 AM
Ok here's the deal. I am trying to get a hand gun. The two guns that I am concidering are the CZ 52 and the Carpati 380 Walther copy. I do not know what to get, I like them both, so I am going to have you vote, and what gets the most votes I buy. Ends 7-31-06. Both the same price. The Carpati comes with a holster and two mags, and the CZ comes with 3 mags, two cleaning rods and a holster.
DANIEL/BS JR.

Frank46
06-02-2006, 02:26 AM
Daniel/BSjr, given the choice of the two I'd opt for the cz52. If you have access to cheap surplus ammo you can shoot a lot for less. Be prepared as that pistol does make a loud bang. My buddy had one and even with ear protectors it was loud. But fun to shoot. He finally managed to locate some czech 7.62x25 sub machine gun ammo and it really was quite accurate. Frank

Bass Ackward
06-02-2006, 06:43 AM
Daniel,

How can we make a recommendation when you don't say what you want the gun to do? What purpose? Concealment? Manstopper? Bear through the bathroom window piece? Which one is the superior design?

Remember, there are so many different guns on the market because somebody finds them interesting.

We all have our biases. Mine is that "real" handguns don't have magazines. So do you want me voting for you with an attitude like that?

Bret4207
06-02-2006, 06:56 AM
Dan- Do you already have a 357 and a 22? You HAVE to have a 22 either auto or revolver first, it's like a law of nature. Then you NEED a 357 (preferably a S+W 19 or 28 or a Ruger Security 6) for an all around gun. Then you move on to the auto loading, spray and pray, bottom feeding, lousy sighted, brass loosing type guns. If the above isn't an option I'd go with the 380 as you KNOW you'll be able to get ammo for it in 50 years.

Wayne Smith
06-02-2006, 07:36 AM
Do you want speed and splatter and condom bullets or something relatively boring that you will always be able to shoot and can shoot cast from? Unless you got armor plated squirrels up there there's no real practical use for either of them in what I imagine your current conditions are.

So, in reality you are asking us which toy to get, and I never let someone else choose my toys! Toys are by nature personal, impractical, and illogical.

Bullshop Junior
06-02-2006, 02:05 PM
Well what I want it for, is BANG BANG BANG BANG BANG BANG BANG BANG!!!!
Does that help?
DANIEL/BS JR.

Bucks Owin
06-02-2006, 03:05 PM
FWIW, I'm with Tpr Bret. Start at the beginning! ;)
(Preferably with a revolver..)

Dennis

BTW, I'm assuming this'll be your first handgun?

StarMetal
06-02-2006, 03:23 PM
BS Junior,

I have a CZ52, I have large hands, that said the CZ52 has a fairly large grip. Don't know what size your hands are. Don't use a 44 mag Ruger Super Blackhawk as a guide because they don't have big grips. The 380 more then likely will fit your hands, never seen a 380 with a large grip. Thing is it's a pitiful round in my opinion. Tpr Bret is right about it having ammo around for a long time. The 7.62x25 on the other hand might be a reload only proposition in the future. You have to be careful of what surplus you shoot out of those because there is some very dangerous machinegun ammo floating around for them. It tells all about it on the web. I believe it's either Yugo or Czech that is dangerous. The other poster is right about it being loud. In fact loud isn't the word, even with earmuffs it's uncomfortable. They said the Germans were horrified of the muzzleblast from the Russian submachineguns that used the same cartridge. It does have alot more power then a 380 and shoots flat pretty far.

If you can swing it, go for the 22 or 357 mag revolver like Tpr Bret said, you really can't go wrong with those two. They both have hunting applications, usually can be obtained with good adjustable target sights, the 357 is good enough for deer and black bear, plus you can reload for it. I know being a young adult reloading is lots of fun.

Joe

Bret4207
06-02-2006, 03:30 PM
If BANG,BANG,BANG,BANG,BANG, ad infinitum is the object, then I suggest a Ruger Mk 1,2 or 3, or another brand of quality auto loading pistola. It'll be WAY cheaper than even the cheapest mil-surp, probably more accurate, easier to shoot, easier on the ears, more usefull in the long run and will be something you return to again and again. Ammo is available in most every crossroads store and bait shop, parts aren't an issue with mainstream guns and when you discover girls it won't scare them to death to shoot it.

StarMetal
06-02-2006, 03:37 PM
Just think of that Ruger Mk I, II, or III as a Ruger Luger.

Joe

Poygan
06-02-2006, 04:50 PM
Concur on the Rugers. Plus, you don't have to pick up the brass. I have an older Mark I with a bull barrel and a Clark trigger that shoots far better than my meager capabilities. Its a permanent member of my family. Also have a Mark II 22/45 thats a fun piece but haven't had it long enough to see how well it can do.

Bodydoc447
06-02-2006, 05:13 PM
I think you are getting some really good thoughts and advice on this. I have a Walther PP in .32 acp and a CZ50 in the same caliber. Both are fun guns. I have a CZ52 which is loud and fun. I have a couple of .380s, too. But for a first (and I don't know if this is your first or not) handgun, it is awfully hard to beat the utility, frugality and wide availability of the .22 LR. I probably shoot my Ruger single six and MkII as much as all my other gun combined. They are fun for plinking, small game and won't wear you out with muzzleblast.

BUT, what it really comes down to is what YOU find the best value for your entertainment dollar. Good luck whatever your choice.

Doc

NVcurmudgeon
06-02-2006, 05:39 PM
Daniel, Trooper Bret's advice is the most sensible that I have ever seen. I have a number of pistols, accumulated over the last 40+ years. Three of my pistols are .22 LR cal. The very last one I would give up is my Colt Woodsman Sport Model. A Ruger .22 auto is a perfect starter pistol, and one that will prove to be the most useful over the long haul. You NEVER outgrow a good .22. As a matter of fact, I have a CZ 52 and it is fun to shoot, but my three .22s, including a Ruger Govenment Model Target, get used a lot more, and I am 69 years old. One bit of advice, that took me a lot of years to learn the hard way, is avoid all fixed sight pistols if you are left handed, unless you enjoy missing to the right! At the very least a windage adjustment is a necessity.

Wayne Smith
06-02-2006, 06:29 PM
I gotta go along with the above. If burning a lot of ammo is your goal, there simply aint no cheaper way to do it than with a semiauto .22. The Ruger is a good choice, affordable, available, rugged, and accurate. It'll knock over a rabbit or squirrel as well as the CZ, and a lot cheaper.

Then you talk your dad into getting Paco Kelly's Accurizer tool and make some hemongous hollowpoints that will really get the job done, and size the bullets all the same size to boot. Soon as I find out how much I've already spent I'm gonna get one.

StarMetal
06-02-2006, 07:40 PM
Curmudgeon,

If when shooting a pistol, especially a semi-auto, and it shoots to the left if you're right handed or to the right if you're left handed, that's telling me your shooting procedure isn't refined...namely your trigger finger. Sounds to me like your finger in too far onto the trigger. With a semi-auto the pad to the tip of the finger should be on the trigger and the pull or squeeze should be straight back. If a right handed person has say the first joint of his trigger finger on the trigger and the shot's seem to go left, he's pushing the pistol to the left while he's pulling the trigger. I would see no difference in a handgun that is sighted dead on with either a right or left handed shooter. Am I missing something you see that I don't?

Joe

Bucks Owin
06-02-2006, 09:13 PM
Going bang, bang, bang, bang, bang, bang, bang,,,,,,,gets kinda expensive and you'll be surprised how short a time a brick will last in an afternoon's "fun"!

Unless your heart is set on an autoloader, I'd recommend a Ruger Super Single Six for a first pistola. You get an extra cylinder to shoot .22 Mag if you want to and it has adjustable sights. It'll "feel" just like a Super Blackhawk, same gripframe. Besides, you'll be joining the ranks of the few, the proud, the elite, the "shootists", THE SINGLE ACTION SHOOTERS! [smilie=1: (:roll: :-D )
(Like ol' "Quiggly Down Under"!!!)

Some folks figure an autoloader is more accurate than a wheelgun.
I say it depends on the gun...

FWIW,

Dennis

BTW, this was shot with my "pet" Old Model but my wife's New Model is just as accurate....

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a356/BucksOwin/22WM001.jpg

Bullshop Junior
06-03-2006, 01:39 AM
Thank you for all of the advice. I would much like to get a ruger single six, as my first handgun. But the thing is, is that the ruger is about 100% more than the Cz or the Carpati. I at the time have just enough money for one of the two auto's of 150 dollars. I get no money from work, and Dad can not help me, He does not have the money either, so I will not be getting the ruger until I get more funding.
Thank you thank you!
DANIEL/BS JR.
P.S. On the ammo I have developed a very efficient puppy look, that is guaranteed to get me free ammo, and all I have to do is assemble it, and shoot it!!!

Frank46
06-03-2006, 02:59 AM
Well I kinda must be missing all the fun of having a 22 either revolver or pistol. One of these days I'll have to do something about that. I do have a walther pp in 32auto, two 1911's, one 357, two 38specials, one 9mm, and a ruger redhawk in 44 mag. My favorite are the 45's and the 357. Haven't shot the walther yet. Frank

Bass Ackward
06-03-2006, 06:42 AM
P.S. On the ammo I have developed a very efficient puppy look, that is guaranteed to get me free ammo, and all I have to do is assemble it, and shoot it!!!

Daniel,

Remember that used guns need a good home too. You can get a good used 22 for that kind of money if you just watch the auction sites.

And the puppy looks will disappear faster that you can blink an eye. Eventually, you are going to look like an .... adult. Girls will start chasing you and everything. :grin: Warning: Young girls won't reload for you! They burn money, not ammo.

Bret4207
06-03-2006, 07:28 AM
Dan- Any scrap metal dealer up there? Scrap is high right now and there should be some around if look under the dirt a little. Or as BA said- Dad has an FFL and if you watch the auction a used gun can work fine. In addition to the Ruger S+W made a few nice 22 auto loaders, the 422 I think was one and the Browning line is nice too. Colts are high, I 'm drawing a blank on other suitable brands. You other guys know of some candidates maybe lower prices tan a Ruger MK1? A Single Six should be on auction for your price range.

StarMetal
06-03-2006, 10:27 AM
Daniel,

All comes to he who waits. What that means is don't let that money you have burn a hole in your pocket. Yeah, I know it's tough to do because it was always one of my problems when I was young Daniel.

Joe

Randy in Arizona
06-03-2006, 12:00 PM
Bullshop Junior,

The CZ-52 is a fun gun, but it is LOUD!

It also has a few problems, brittle firing pins, worn safety interlocks on high mileage ones, etc.

Parts are available to fix all the problems, but by the time they are all fixed, you may have spent an additional $100.

My suggestions - get either a good used 22 pistol or a 38/357 revolver and load for it. Your dad or you should be able to cobble together a decent bullet trap for most of your practice so you can recycle the lead, even if you end up with a 22.

Practice, practice, practice!

Bucks Owin
06-03-2006, 12:20 PM
Thank you for all of the advice. I would much like to get a ruger single six, as my first handgun. But the thing is, is that the ruger is about 100% more than the Cz or the Carpati. I at the time have just enough money for one of the two auto's of 150 dollars. I get no money from work, and Dad can not help me, He does not have the money either, so I will not be getting the ruger until I get more funding.
Thank you thank you!
DANIEL/BS JR.

I can sympathize with the money thing Daniel. But like Bass Ackward said, there's always the auctions. I got the Old Model that fired that group from "Gunbroker.com". Had a chip out of one of the grips and only included it's mag cylinder, but was otherwise in 98% shape. Cost me $201....

Anyway, best of luck to you, I'm glad you're interested in shooting!

Dennis

FWIW, Heritage makes a pretty good .22 S/A in your price range.....($189 MSRP I think....)

Scrounger
06-03-2006, 12:44 PM
http://www.auctionarms.com/search/displayitem.cfm?itemnum=7446923&aa=%20Beretta%20%20U22%20Neos%2022LR%20Semi%20Auto %20Pistol%20-%20Blue

http://www.auctionarms.com/search/displayitem.cfm?itemnum=7446926&aa=%20Browning%20Arms%20Co.%20%20Buckmark%2022LR%2 0Semi%20Auto%20Pistol%20-%20Blue/%20Nickel

Wayne Smith
06-03-2006, 03:08 PM
Daniel, if you are gonna put a bid on that BuckMark pistol please post here. Otherwise I will. It's on my watch list. Actually, your Dad would have to, but that's fine. Three days plus from this post.

Bucks Owin
06-03-2006, 05:43 PM
Daniel, you'd probably be interested in the test of the CZ-52 over at gunblast.com

Dennis

Bass Ackward
06-03-2006, 08:53 PM
Daniel,

I just went to Auction Arms and searched for guns less than $150 and I got 111 responses in any manner of guns and calibers. Just so you know.

montana_charlie
06-03-2006, 09:35 PM
Thank you for all of the advice. I would much like to get a ruger single six, as my first handgun. But the thing is, is that the ruger is about 100% more than the Cz or the Carpati.
If I chose a gun simply because I could afford it, that would only happen if I was suddenly in need of one.

If I know I want a Ruger, but only have half of the money saved, I'm sure not going to blow that nest egg on something that isn't what I want.
Much better to continue to save until the Ruger is mine.

And, that will happen much sooner if you hang onto your $150 because you're halfway there. Blow it and you're back at zero.
CM

Bullshop Junior
06-04-2006, 12:06 AM
I will not be bidding for awhile. I have to sell my 22 rifle, and some other things, and and hoping to get $150 for it. I just learned that I have at least $50 now, so am probably going for the Ruger. Thanks for all the help!!!
DANIEL/BS JR.

Bullshop Junior
06-04-2006, 12:14 AM
Bass,
I just and went and looked at used ruger revolvers under $200, and got a lot of single sixs and ALL where under 200!!!
THANKS FOR THE HELP!!!
DANIEL/BS JR.

Bucks Owin
06-04-2006, 02:51 PM
Description for Item # 49900756

Ruger Old Model Single-Six .22 Magnum. All the usual features and quality of the Old Model Rugers including blued finish, walnut grips, six-and-half inch barrel, and fixed sights. Excellent condition and a great shooter. This gun is .22 Magnum only, the .22 long rifle cylinder is missing. From my FFL to yours for $35 shipping and insurance.

BID
Current Bid: $150.00
Bid Increment: $5.00
Minimum Bid: $155.00

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a356/BucksOwin/SingleSixOM.jpg

This gun will go for more than that price I imagine as it's worth $300+ IMO but it shows you what's out there....
(Wish I wasn't so broke, I'd bid on this one myself! What a beauty!) :D

PatMarlin
06-05-2006, 05:11 PM
I took a break from shooting the years I was dating. Boy what a mistake. I could a used that one to my advantage.. :mrgreen:

You see alot of good lookin' girls at the range these days.. :Fire: