PDA

View Full Version : Soft nose sucess on meat

Von Gruff
01-15-2010, 07:38 PM
I have been experimenting with cast softnose for my 7x57 as reported, with a 65gn soft nose on a 160gn bullet at 2415fps, and yesterday was to be the day that it was to have its first run at meat. My wife and I left home at 5.30 yesterday morning for a day in the hills. Arrived by 8 and spent a couple hours in the lower ground and got about twenty rabbits for the chiller, then drove up the track to the tops to look for a goat. We had a cup of tea and a bite first and again I was very slack with the camera but here is where we stopped for a break
http://i667.photobucket.com/albums/vv39/VonGruff/001-3.jpg
As you can see there is quite an elevation difference down to the river and there is a series of bluffs right along a 2-3000 yd face which I didn't get a pic of and when I went down for a look I went with as little extra weight as possible simply because of how steep the climb is especially if I have to carry back up. (the truth added is, of course, that I am old and unfit and puff like a train on the climb out)
I saw the first pair at about 80 yds and my first soft nose cast shot on the nanny was a bang - flop. She was lying down facing directly away from my down a 60 degree slope. Later examination showed the bullet entered just to one side of the spine and exited out the bottom of the brisket taking one lung and the heart on the way. The bullet went through the back strap without bruising but opened and destroyed very well after the first couple of inches. The next shot was on the 3/4 grown kid and it was a broadside shot , but still down the 60 degree slope at 80 yds or so, and I had momentry concern about a zip through on such a light animal, however with a point of entry high in the lung traversing down through to exit and leave frothy blood mixed with lung tissue followed by a 15yd blood trail of very big splashes - small pools culminating in a fall to a shelf that was unreachable, (for me anyway) especially as I had the nanny to carry out. I took the legs and beack strap and was just finished and had a look over another bluff to a sunny face about 120 yds away and 50 down on the slope and there were another 8 or 9 so took another nanny. I wanted to see how the bullet would perform when it had slowed down a bit in case the softnose was a bit hard but a high lung shot was as effective as I could have expected from a jacketed cup and core so to say I was pleased is putting it mildly. I didn't try for shoulder - spine shots as this would have not given my the feedback on the softnose I was after and came away with the understanding that I will use this bullet for everything now where I expect the shots to be within 250 yds.
Setting off back up the hill with the rifle on one shoulder, the 4 legs on the other and carring the backstrap required much stoping for a breather, but eventually I made it back up to where my wife and dog had waited. The dog wanted to help with the backstraps till I explained that was not the way we did things, so we ambled back to the truck for a coffee .
http://i667.photobucket.com/albums/vv39/VonGruff/004.jpg

This is what all the fuss has been about, and what I will be casting for now.
65gn softnose on 160gn Lyman 287641
39gn ADI 2209 (H4350)
2415fps
http://i667.photobucket.com/albums/vv39/VonGruff/castbullets001.jpg

Von Gruff.

MT Gianni
01-15-2010, 07:59 PM
Nice going. South or North Island?

Ernest
01-15-2010, 08:00 PM
wonderful tale and pictures!!!

Von Gruff
01-15-2010, 08:02 PM
South Island. That is the Nevis river that runs into the Kawarau River from Queenstown's Lake Wakatipu.

Von Gruff.

Nrut
01-15-2010, 08:13 PM
Beautiful country, rifle and performance on the goats..
Looks like you are set on your load and thanks for sharing the load details.. I have an old Brno 21H in 7x57 that I hope to have time to work with this spring/summer.. I will be making a throat slug impression this weekend and when BABore gets his 160gr/7mm mold done I'll be ordering one..
As an old logger first thing I noticed was the cut in the upper right of the photo..
:smile:

Von Gruff
01-15-2010, 09:07 PM
Niels if you are refering to the area that looks lighter in colour then it is only the sun through a gap in the clouds. This is not an area that has trees of any sort, all tussock, a scrub called mataghouri, spiky plants called five finger jacks, rocks and mountain flowers, which my wife tells me are a tiny orchid and daisy types.

von Gruff.

Blammer
01-15-2010, 09:23 PM
Great job! Loved the story and the pics are very nice, thanks!

Glen
01-15-2010, 09:41 PM
Excellent report and pictures! What is the twist in your 7x57?

357maximum
01-15-2010, 10:00 PM
Nice hills and kills.........I am almost ashamed of what caught my eye in them nice pics though.

Tell me more about that safety on that rifle please...who makes it and where does I get one for mine?

Von Gruff
01-15-2010, 10:23 PM
Twist is 9 inch and the safety is a Parker Hale. It is an elongated and dropped flag safety. What you may be seeing is the base for the aperture sight on the cocking piece. The stem is away to be worked on which was why the scope is on for this trip. This is a pic that will show it more clearly.

http://i667.photobucket.com/albums/vv39/VonGruff/7x57StalkingRifle02-02-09022.jpg

Von Gruff.

Larry Gibson
01-16-2010, 02:36 AM
Nice looking dog, Schnauzer I presume?

Larry Gibson

BTW; the rest of the post is very nice too, beautiful rifle and good looking bullets.

Larry Gibson

Von Gruff
01-16-2010, 04:12 AM
Yes Larry he is a schnauzer, Bruno is a great little mate but he does need a good brushing after a day out like this. He was a tired boy by the time we got home.

Von Gruff.

357maximum
01-16-2010, 05:51 AM
Twist is 9 inch and the safety is a Parker Hale. It is an elongated and dropped flag safety. What you may be seeing is the base for the aperture sight on the cocking piece.

Von Gruff.

You are absolutely correct. I saw it wrong. I was seeing what I wanted to see. That is one beautiful sight......all custom I presume.

Von Gruff
01-16-2010, 02:46 PM
You are absolutely correct. I saw it wrong. I was seeing what I wanted to see. That is one beautiful sight......all custom I presume.

It is a Rigby style sight that is made by a chap who hand makes four or five at a time as demand dictates. Beautifully made and a very good price. Contact is Rob at rusty42marlin@yahoo.com.

Von Gruff.