PDA

View Full Version : Scope mount for Ruger Redhawk .44 Mag

garandsrus
06-01-2006, 09:55 PM
Hi,

I just bought a Weigand Combat scope mount for a Ruger Redhawk. I need to drill and tap two screw holes in the top strap above the cylinder to hold the mount. I have the proper drill and tap.

Should the holes go all the way through the top strap or should they be stopped at a certain depth? Part of the instructions say "Trim the screws flush with the inside of the cylinder window". I assume that this means that the holes go completely through the top strap and then I grind the bottom of the screw if necessary so that it doesn't interfere with the cylinder.

Will two holes spaced about 3/8" apart (lenghwise, not side to side on the strap) weaken the top strap to where I should be concerned at all? The third screw goes in the existing rear site. The mount is desinged for a Redhawk.

My plan is to make sure the drill press table is perpendicular to the drill bit, mount the pistol (padded) in a drill press vise, square the top strap to the drill bit, centerpunch the holes, and drill away. I would guess that I want a fairly slow spindle speed. The pistol is stainless. Any coments or suggestions?

Thanks,
John

meldrimgunsmith
06-07-2006, 12:42 AM
midway has one that is no drill for about 30 bucks
also brownells hax one.
unless you have a way to make sure the weapon is square and level be extra slow and careful

Bass Ackward
06-07-2006, 06:10 AM
Should the holes go all the way through the top strap or should they be stopped at a certain depth? Part of the instructions say "Trim the screws flush with the inside of the cylinder window".

John,

I chose not to run them all the way through so that you won't see the holes if and when I go back to open sights. If you do go all the way through, just watch the front screw hole and what is under that. You don't want a hole there.

garandsrus
06-07-2006, 09:58 AM
Thanks...

I will stop the holes short of the bottom of the strap.

I have tried a "no drill" mount and didn't like it at all. It scratched the sides of the revolver when I installed it (I was carefull) and moved under recoil.

John

meldrimgunsmith
06-07-2006, 12:53 PM
the screws need to be deep enough for you to bottom tap, other then just go slow when you are tapping and use good cutting oil

bobthenailer
06-10-2006, 08:52 PM
for what its worth s & w revolvers are drilled all the way through the top strap, and freedom arms are not!