PDA

View Full Version : Dipper & 2 cavity molds

swage86
01-15-2010, 10:48 AM
Hello,

I've casted alot of bullets with 2 cavity molds but with the bottom pour. I've casted lots of large BPCR bullets with a dipper and single cavity molds.

When using the dipper with a 2 cavity mold, what's the process? Since I found the best fillout of the BPCR bullets was with flipping the mold upright, how do you do that with a 2 or more cavity mold? Do you do the same thing and wait for the sprue to cool then do the 2nd cavity or do you do the first cavity then put the dipper back into the pot, wait for the sprue to cool then do the 2nd cavity?

I was amazed how my rejects went way down using the dipper with the big BPCR bullets and think that may be the way to go with smaller pistol bullets with multi cavity molds.

Thanks

swheeler
01-15-2010, 11:00 AM
swage 86; I started out with 2 bottom pour furnaces and went to ladle and 20 pound Lee pot years ago. For my two cavity molds I turn them on their side, insert nozzle of ladle , roll up to vertical, fill first cavity leaving good amount of alloy for sprue. I then dip the ladle back to bottom of the pot, now sprue is ready on the first poured, and repeat. Once you get a rythum down it goes fast and produces bullets with very few rejects. It has always been FASTER for me and FEWER rejects for me. YMMV

powderburnerr
01-15-2010, 12:57 PM
I just made me a two spout ladle ,,,, works welll ..........Dean

HORNET
01-15-2010, 01:59 PM
Depends on what the mold wants. I can think of at least 4 different techniques for dipper casting with a 2 cav. mold. Which one I use depends on the cavity size, alloy, sprue hole size, alloy temp., and how the mold is reacting to the way that I'm trying. I keep telling myself to write down which method works better with which mold, but never seem to do it....swheeler describes a good starting point method.

SciFiJim
01-15-2010, 02:21 PM
I haven't cast any big ones yet, just up to 300gr. My dipper holds enough for both cavities. I pour with the mold upright. With about an inch air gap, I pour the first cavity with sprue and then immediately move on the the next.

Mk42gunner
01-15-2010, 03:20 PM
All I can say is try some different techniques, you will find one that works for you. Your mold will tell you what it likes best.

I don't really like the put the spout to the sprueplate and rotate method, but sometimes that is the only way that works with a mold.

I really despise trying to pressure fill a mold from a bottom pour pot, but I have one single cavity 313445 that absolutely will not fillout without it.

Robert

GLynn41
01-15-2010, 03:33 PM
i started with the Lyman method of lay the blocks over and then touch the dipper to cavity and straighten up-- then repeat-- this has worked very well for me--on my Mountain Mold I can do that but it does a little better if I pour -- I rest the mold on the edge of the pot and put the dipper over and pour from about .5" or so-- Lyman molds seem to me to like the first method which is what they recommend-- I have an NEi and it does not seem to matter-- just experiment and have found with the sliver stream