PDA

View Full Version : Which Model 94

BSkerj
01-14-2010, 10:50 PM
Today I found a Marlin 1894c in .357..nice checkered stock, smooth action etc.
This store wanted 579.00 for it. I went to another gun shop and found a 1894 in the cowboy with the octogon barrel in .357 (I reload alot of 38 and 357) and plan on using the rifle as a plinking gun/maybe deer hunting. This store wanted 719.00 . Both are new in box. Since I am new to lever guns, what are the major differences in the 2. Would I be better off spending the extra 140.00 and get the cowboy or be just as satisfied with the 94c. I really liked the 94c until I handled the cowboy. These are the only 2 rifles in the 94 that I could find in my area. Hope this isn't beating a dead horse on this thread.Any and all opinions will be appreciated. Thanks

Pat I.
01-14-2010, 11:19 PM
I think you answered your own question in your post. You said you liked the 94C until you handled the cowboy. The extra money will be forgotten in a week or two but if you buy a gun you settled on and didn't like as much as the other you'll be kicking yourself as long as you own it.

01-14-2010, 11:30 PM
Might also watch the parallel thread on the Marlin vs brand X small levers.
I'll be the odd man out and suggest also looking at the Brown-chester 92 repros in the handgun calibers. For the $ you're looking at with the new Marlins there may be some options also available in the used but repro "Win 92" models by both Browning and Winchester. The Brown-chester 92s are stronger and generally more gun for the $ than the Marlins. Just another option to consider.

EDK
01-14-2010, 11:58 PM
I had an original 1892 Winchester re-bored to 357, with a 24 inch octagon barrel.
Next gun was an 1866 replica carbine in 38 special.
Then an early 1894c, when they came out. (Gave it to youngest daughter, who passed it on to one of our grand sons...after I got the Cowboy.)
Bought a 24 inch Marlin Cowboy when they came out, but was primarily interested in the 44s.
I wanted a second rifle in 357, bought a 20 inch Marlin almost NIB. Then got a deal on a clean used 24 inch Marlin from a gentleman in Riverside CA...before the 20 inch arrived.

Buy the 24 inch...and smile at the guys who try to talk you out of it! The $719 is a pretty reasonable price.

:Fire::cbpour::redneck:

crabo
01-15-2010, 01:41 AM
I like my cowboy. The extra barrel length will help if you ever shoot pistol cartridge silhouettes. The 24" are hard to find, I would snatch it up.

NickSS
01-15-2010, 05:34 AM
I have both and like them both for different reasons. The cowboy with the 24 inch barrel is great for hunting in my opinion as the longer barrel swings better when shooting at running game. I like the shorter barrel for plinking and as a camp carbine.

shdwlkr
01-15-2010, 04:33 PM
Well I have one of the winchester model 92's made in Japan with a 24 inch barrel and you will not get me to give it up. Some don't like them because they are made in Japan, some claim they are not built as good as others, some don't realize that the browning and the winchester model 92's were made in the same place and mostly some just don't like anything but marlin or whatever. What it all boils down to is which one do you like better put your money down and have fun with your choice as it is your money and you have to be happy with what you buy not anyone else.
Have fun with your new toy and forget what anyone says.

mack1
01-15-2010, 09:11 PM
I have a marlin 1894c 357 and am compleatly happy with accuracy and function. the rifle was my daily carry in the truck and horse gun till i let my wife shoot in now it is hers, never got a deer with it but did make an impressive 165 yard shot on a cow chasing critter. bottom line the 1894c is lighter and handier for horse and truck work. Replaced it recently with a 1892 win short rifle 44 mag. this rifle is very smooth and as soon as I fix the rebounding hammer it should be fine but I think I like the 357 better.

BSkerj
01-15-2010, 09:40 PM
Thanks for all the replies...I went with the Cowboy today. Put on lay-a-way. Now just got to start saving to get it out before Spring. May be the first in a collection of many.

docone31
01-15-2010, 10:11 PM
I had one of those little pups. I wanted a Cowboy!
Glad you got one.

shdwlkr
01-15-2010, 10:29 PM
Now that you have made your choice I will tell you that I have more levers with long barrels than short. I have never found them to be hard to hunt with even in tight cover. But I started with long barreled firearms and learned how to move around with them.
congratulations on your soon to be new toy.
The only thing now you have to worry about is leveritis it is a very dangerous disease and will in the end make you want to own even more lever action firearms and then you will need a larger gun safe and a very understanding wife or one who also shoots but that can be dangerous too as she may just decide that some of your levers are hers and you will be forced to go buy more.
See what I mean very dangerous disease to get and there is no cure.

docone31
01-15-2010, 10:48 PM
Yes, that dastardly Leveritis!
I have Palmaitis, bolt gun itis, gads, more itis than I ever thought I would have!
It is terrible!
The disease of more.
One more. Just one more.

shdwlkr
01-16-2010, 12:12 PM
docone31
I have a goodly share of bolt action firearms also but the last few years levers have been calling to me to the point I have 7-8 of them and looking for more and looking at building to custom ones in calibers that they were never available. One will be a 44 special and the other will be 256 win mag. Both will sport long barrels,yep I am hooked on them, only have two short barreled models. One because of it age and it just kind of suits me that way and the other because I bought it to customize but it was just in too good of a condition to do it so I went o ut and found a beater and rebuilt it into the rifle I wanted.
So I guess I have leveritis, palmatis, and firearmitis and reloadingitis and muzzle loadingitis and worst of all shootingitis. So I guess it is terminal for me and the only cure will be when I leave this life then someone can figure out what to do with the collection if the government doesn't first.

Rem700
01-21-2010, 12:37 AM
I have 20-24'' Marlins and 20-30" Uberti 73s booth round barrel carbines and octagon cowbys, Presently I am having a Marlin 94 44mag cut down to 16" trapper length for hunting. Guess you could say I like em all.

Irascible
01-21-2010, 12:33 PM
Besides the longer octagonal barrel and the extra magazine capacity, the Cowboy model PROBABLY has Ballard 6 groove rifling and the 1894c has Microgroove (12, I THINK). The Ballard rifling would be EASIER to develope cast bullet loads for, if you are so inclined.

Rem700
01-22-2010, 12:43 AM
I do believe all new model Marlin lever actions in pistol caliber 38/357,44Mag,45colt all use ballard rifleing. All also have a mag capacity of 10rds except for the 1894C.