PDA

View Full Version : Cast Boolit Myths?

Bass Ackward
06-01-2006, 07:03 PM
We here pride ourselves in busting cast boolit myths. We have a lot of new folks on board and I wondered if anyone has discovered any contradictions to these myths that they would like to share so far.

I have a ton, but want to see what conclusions others have come to before I pop off. I'll give one to get things started.

1. You need a hard bullet to go over 2000 fps. I have had 14 BHN to 3200 fps in clusters that some people would refer to as groups and 3500 fps before the started to melt in the air. That's ACWW +2% Sn.

Who's next?

PGBsuperior
06-01-2006, 08:19 PM
Heheheee!

Shooting at least 2000 of my cast boolits cures bursitis.

Amy

felix
06-01-2006, 08:21 PM
Fact or fiction? Casting boolits is a dirty job. ... felix

44man
06-01-2006, 08:53 PM
It may be a dirty job, but someone has to do it.

Goatlips
06-01-2006, 09:57 PM
"Cowboy Action Shooting boolits have to be close to perfect. "

At CAS distances, and with our sized targets, the finned, whiskered, hollow-based, round-edged, wrinkled, unlubed and just plain ugly slugs work fine. One reason I'm here is because some day I'd like to get a real rifle and hit some real targets before my vision deteriorates any further. Thanks to everyone for all the help I've found here.

Goatlips

KCSO
06-01-2006, 10:19 PM
You can't size a bullet down more than 2-3 thou or you will ruin it.

JohnH
06-01-2006, 10:38 PM
All the lube grooves must be filled or you'll get leading

mag_01
06-01-2006, 10:52 PM
:coffee: You need a perfect boolit to hit the X ring-------A friend and I would compete with each other by taking a fired round from the range (with its dings) reload it and shoot it again putting them thru the X ring---pistols---25 yrds. off hand---so much for the perfect boolit------------------Mag:Fire:

454PB
06-01-2006, 11:00 PM
Lead melting and boolit casting causes lead poisoning.

NVcurmudgeon
06-01-2006, 11:06 PM
I did use the "lead melting causes lead poisoning" BS to discourage an obnoxious yuppie who wanted me to cast Whitworth boolits for him because he "didn't want to breathe all that junk!" Gue4ss he thought that I was an expendable slave.

NVcurmudgeon
06-01-2006, 11:10 PM
My favorite myth is that cast bullets always cause severe leading. I can show them excellent groups shot with cast, show them that cast are the only boolits I have with me, and let them look down my barrel to no avail. Non-casters are logic proof.

waksupi
06-01-2006, 11:26 PM
A drop of water in the pot will cause an immediate steam expolsion. Was happy to find this one untrue. One has to work at it a bit, to make them blow up!

montana_charlie
06-01-2006, 11:51 PM
It's pure lead if you can mark it with your fingernail.

357maximum
06-02-2006, 12:35 AM
Boolit casting will save you money.

[smilie=1: my wife pretends she still believes this, but I know that she knows that I know that she knows......

cherok9878
06-02-2006, 12:37 AM
Casting your own and getting them to shoot well is a long and drawn out process..................Not if you pay attention to this forum...........larry

walltube
06-02-2006, 12:47 AM
If one believes CDC warnings that lead boolit casting MAY cause lead poisoning, then heed the following seven:

1. Loverin designs promote the disease, "Aloxia".

2. Sen. Ted Kennedy is temperate.

3. Alimony is an alloying agent.

4. "Tinnitus" is a result of too much tin in the melt.

5. All WW must be degaused!

6. Beware of MANYL ingot moulds.

7. Lanolin in boolit lube is a powerful aphrodisiac.

With Good Cheer & trying to stay on-line,
YT
Wt

Bass Ackward
06-02-2006, 06:28 AM
Good points.

Can't shoot cast accurately from a rough or pitted bore. If it's rough or pitted, it won't be for long.

Undersize bullets always lead.

Bret4207
06-02-2006, 06:43 AM
1. Cast boolits are inaccurate

2. You can't kill an animal with a lead boolit.

3. They won't shoot without the gas check.

4. PB boolits lead.

5. Only really, really hard LBT boolits will kill a big game animal.

6. A 310 gr 44 mag boolit out of a Freedom arms revolver will kill an elephant, but a 310 gr 44 out of a Marlin carbine is "barely adequite".

7. Under no circumstances firea lead boolit in a autoloading rifle! You'll clog the gas port.

8. Lead boolits only work at speeds up to about 1000 fps.

9. Spire poiint cast boolits cause huge groups.

10. Boolit casters are nuts.

NucEm
06-02-2006, 07:02 AM
If one believes CDC warnings that lead boolit casting MAY cause lead poisoning, then heed the following seven:

4. "Tinnitus" is a result of too much tin in the melt.

With Good Cheer & trying to stay on-line,
YT
Wt
This one must be a true one!:-D When i was testing a 378 Weatherby with a few fullpower premiumbullet loaded cartridges i thought i forgott my peltor hearing protection.:twisted: I was not, that gun is VERY loud and tinnitus was the result of it. And everybody knows that heavy premium Africa bullets have more antimony and tin in them than usual:mrgreen:

Wayne Smith
06-02-2006, 07:47 AM
Trooper, your #10 aint no myth, we're all certifyable, aint we?

shooter575
06-02-2006, 08:24 AM
Got to agree with Wayne the Shrink."Trooper, your #10 aint no myth, we're all certifyable, aint we" Hey but insainaty is only a state of mind!
Minnes will not shoot as well as a PRB
Subs are better and cleaner than BP
BP will blow up in any measurer
SPG is the only BP lube that will work
Fillers will not help any group, or will allways ring your chamber
Must be a zillon more of then

mooman76
06-02-2006, 01:26 PM
You can't shoot cast bullets out of a .40 cal. Pressure is too high!

Bass Ackward
06-02-2006, 04:59 PM
My all time favorite myth.

Never shoot anything but lead in a good cast barrel. False, false, false.

There isn't a "new" barrel in the world that would be harmed for shooting cast if it was broken in shooting jacketed.

357maximum
06-02-2006, 07:19 PM
My wife bought me a shirt that reads

"The voices aren't real, but they do have some good ideas"

Think she is trying to tell me something.

She also bought me one that reads

" I let my mind wander, it never came back"

I personally think I am alot more saner than most, it is not me, it is the rest of the world that has issues, but that is just my opinion. You know what they say about opinions.

I too believe we are all nuts, but in a good way. Just imagine if the president, and all his/her appointed officials were like us, .....

" and the world would be a better place, for you and me, just wait and see"

Michael

Bent Ramrod
06-02-2006, 09:22 PM
"Shooting a cast bullet that is anything less than perfect is a waste of good powder and primers."

Only applies to professional expert shots who don't enjoy anything but center shots and regard the whole shooting thing as a "job." Poor guys.

"Preparation H mixed into bullet lube shrinks groups."

Now really. It may reduce the groups' inflammation, but shrink them:-D ?

wcb_gabe
06-03-2006, 01:47 AM
If you read it on the web it must be TRUE.

You can't fit 3400 lbs of lead in the back of a toyota pickup.

A cast bullet doesn't have good expansion capabilities.
A cast bullet doesn't have good penetration capabilities.

If you cast bullets you'll have more lead in your blood stream than in your mercury amalgum fillings.

Oh, yea I almost forgot. You can't shoot cast bullets in a Glock...
I'll stop there!

mooman76
06-03-2006, 11:19 AM
Someone told me I should get rid of the lead in my garage. Evidently it puts out lead fumes even in solid form!

223tenx
06-03-2006, 01:20 PM
Do you mean to tell me that Lanolin in lube is NOT an aphrodisiac.

Bucks Owin
06-03-2006, 01:31 PM
Someone told me I should get rid of the lead in my garage. Evidently it puts out lead fumes even in solid form!

That's true!

But being the great guy I am, I'll volunteer to come and haul it away for you....

(No need to thank me)

Dennis [smilie=1:

JSH
06-03-2006, 01:49 PM
I think you all about have it covered.
Bullets, all of my WW sources think I am the fishingest fool they ever ran across. A couple of them fish, so with some of the questionable alloys I have ran across, I usually make up a few hundred jigs and hand them out. It was a garage sale find along with some stuff that dad had. Garage sale find was a boot box full of jig hooks of various sizes, imagine some one string together a gazillion paper clips, they were a mess. Down in the bottom of that mess were two lures still in their original boxes. A little research, found them to be worth 100X what I gave for the whole mess.
I never say I am making bullets, as most people think guns=$. Some poor sap that has to fish as much as I do to feed those 6 kids should be shown pitty.
Jeff

waksupi
06-03-2006, 06:20 PM
Do you mean to tell me that Lanolin in lube is NOT an aphrodisiac.

It is, for Carpetman!

nighthunter
06-04-2006, 07:53 AM
I'm gonna have to try that one about putting Preperation H in the lube to shrink the groups. I need all the help I can get.
Nighthunter

shooter575
06-04-2006, 09:12 AM
" I'm gonna have to try that one about putting Preperation H in the lube to shrink the groups. I need all the help I can get.
Nighthunter "

I have used that line before.Allways good for a grin.
Couple years age I had loaned out one of my muskets.He was shooting pretty good for his first time with one and we had a bunch watching.He was bitting the minne out of the cartridge tube to load.While ramming the minne home he said the lube tastes funny,asked what I used.Straight faced I said as he took aim"Used toilet bowl rings I collected from the girls dorm"
He blew that shot and the whole group lost it.
God I love being a smart ass

44man
06-04-2006, 02:45 PM
I have enjoyed reading all of this, but the last post by shooter did me in! I cracked up and it's hard to type with tears in my eyes. Damn, I wish I would have been there.

StarMetal
06-04-2006, 02:58 PM
My favorite line about Preparation H was from Joan Rivers when my wife and I saw her live at a show in Vegas. Jimmy Carter was president and her was : Jimmy Carter is such a big A**hole that if he rubbed his whole body down with Preparation H, he'd disappear. Boy that tore me up good.

Joe

Finn45
06-04-2006, 04:12 PM
One that just came to my mind is that lead alloy is like Italian salad dressing, if you let it sit it will separate; tin and antimony settling at the top and this is the main reason for fluxing. Well, being few times in Italy, eating their salads and also dressing I can say pretty surely that's false statement; it just smells and tastes totally different...

fatnhappy
06-04-2006, 04:26 PM
You can't cast good bullets with WWs unless you add tin.

twoworms
06-06-2006, 06:04 PM
(It takes years to learn to cast good boolits.)

I got started last fall, and with a little help and some reading on this web site I'm doing well casting boolits. Thanks for a great site.

Tim

windwalker
06-07-2006, 05:55 AM
Spire point cast bullets wont expand for hunting, wrong they will as long as you use a 20 to1 or 30to1 lead tin mix and if using black powder pure lead[plumbers sheet lead it is 99% pure.]
bernie:-D

Newtire
06-10-2006, 09:58 AM
You can't load a cast bullet with part of the shank into the powder space...Although it doesn't sound like too good of an idea, I've done it now with my new 30-30 Ackley & it doesn't seem to hurt the group size.

I also think the hardness of a bullet had less to do with how fast you can shoot it than does the shape. Liquid alox isn't good stuff...I'm pushing 2200 with BHN 17 and about 35,000-40,000 PSI. It's all a bit mysterious! I am liking it. I have saved so much money doing this over the last few years too!

swheeler
06-10-2006, 02:11 PM
You can't shoot cast bullets in polygonal rifled barrels