PDA

View Full Version : "Lost" Gun

jim4065
01-14-2010, 03:22 PM
I sometimes wonder about Alzheimer's (even though the doctor says "No").

Yesterday I misplaced a 38 Special Smith. "Had to" take it out of my pocket to work on a project, and flat forgot about it until this morning. Then it's a big frantic search - got company with kids coming over tonight. Finally called SWMBO who knew where it was (of course) but wondered why I left it on the dining room table under some magazines. I don't know - stupid I guess.

It makes me wonder what's going on? Am I getting that scatter-brained? :oops:

Orygun
01-14-2010, 03:35 PM
Gotta hate those "panic" moments! Was just at the range the other day trying a new load in a friends J frame, and when we went back to the rig he says "what did I do with the revolver?

Turned out he had set it on the ground while setting up a target. We almost drove off and left it!!!

Edubya
01-14-2010, 04:01 PM
Well, it could'a been worse!
My friend was loading up to take his wife to the range and as he started to get in he realized that he forgot something in the house. He placed his pistol that he was carrying on the roof of the car. He came back, jumped in and drove off. About a mile away from his house he heard a noise as he went around a corner but figured it was something in the road. a few minutes later he realized what he had done. He went back and searched until dark. Never found it and had to report it to the police.
EW

Shiloh
01-14-2010, 04:08 PM
Left a rifle leaned up against the car once at the range. Put stuff in the back, closed the door, drove off. Had that funny feeling something wasn't right. Pulled over, looked in the back, no rifle.

Turned around and saw the cased rifle on the parking area dirt. Makes you feel kind of sheepish and dumb.

Shiloh

Old Grump
01-14-2010, 04:19 PM
Been there done that, you are in a very large non-exclusive club. How about losing a gun while in the middle of 5th army matches. Forgot I had dropped it off at the armorers truck to get some minor repairs done because I had other things on my little pea picking mind. There were two colonels and a general a little upset with me. Didn't care, I was sure happy to get my gun back. :oops:

gray wolf
01-14-2010, 04:28 PM
When my folks were alive I would visit them often--they weren't of the gun sort.
I would walk in and put my carry piece on top of there china closet. & 7 out of 10 times I would go home without it. It was a joke as to how long it would take me to remember and go back.
couple a times it werent till I got in my drive-way. They always made coffee for me and acted like--PISTOL--WHAT PISTOL?--son you be careful with that thing.
I was dancing up a storm one night in a club with this cute honey and my snubby came out of my ankle holster and saled across the dance floor, A sweety picked it up and yells out
"Hey somebodys gat just two stepped across to me" Man you gotta love me.

shooterg
01-14-2010, 04:38 PM
"Lost" an AR lower once - found it 2 years later in a box of motorcycle parts !

44man
01-14-2010, 05:27 PM
Did the same when I was young and supposed to have a brain. Set my .22 pistol on the roof of my car and drove all over. Found it when I got home, still in place because I had a rag top! :veryconfu

clintsfolly
01-14-2010, 05:57 PM
Never a gun but lost my fav knife field dessing a deer. looked all over the kill site and drag trail. no knife found it 2 days later when i cut up the deer i had left it in the chest cavity Clint

Cadillo
01-14-2010, 06:27 PM
You guys are really helping me feel not so bad about myself. I thought that I was the only one. This "Old Timers' Disease" ain't for the faint of heart and it only gets worse.

cattleskinner
01-14-2010, 06:55 PM
Never did it with a gun either since I mostly shoot at home, but I have done it while at work with a flashlight. I was doing something outside of my car and placed the light in the groove next to the wiper blades. Took me about 3 hours to finally realize where I had put the thing and that was after driving around town the entire time....wouldn't be so bad except for the fact that Streamlight flashlights aren't cheap.

rhead
01-14-2010, 10:42 PM
If my experience in this field is typical I can safely say that if any of you are hoping to out grow this childish behavior you can forget it. It will not improve.

Kuato
01-14-2010, 11:05 PM
Don't feel bad. I lost a mint model 36 Chief's spl, square butt once.. Found it a year later in my sock drawer.. Still don't know how it got there....

rwt101
01-14-2010, 11:36 PM
Aliens among us.
Bob T:veryconfu

Multigunner
01-14-2010, 11:59 PM
Don't feel bad. I lost a mint model 36 Chief's spl, square butt once.. Found it a year later in my sock drawer.. Still don't know how it got there....

My older brother did something like that once. He was going on an extended vacation and hid his Mauser .25 1910 in case a burglar noticed the house being empty.
He forgot where he put it and about five years later he found it in a large glass jar full of dried beans in the panrty.

geargnasher
01-15-2010, 12:27 AM
while we're on the subject, can someone who still remembers refresh me on the quippy acronym for the "disease" that causes us to stand stupidly in the middle of a room we just entered wondering desperately WHY we went in there?

Gear

Crash_Corrigan
01-15-2010, 12:39 AM
My neighbors are tired of me coming over and asking them to call my cellphone so I can find it. I am forced to make notes to myself to plan the next day events so I am sort of organized.

I was getting tired to going to a store and forgetting what I cam there for. I misplaced the cylinder pin for my beloved Ruger BH Flatop about 6 months ago and I am going to have to get another one from Ruger.

When I moved I had to dissamble my Lazy Boy Recliner and I have yet to find the parts. Again during the last move I had to take apart my Dillon 550 and I still cannot find some parts for it. Thanks to the internet and detailed instructions on their website at least I know what I am missing.

The golden years of my retirement are losing their gilt. CRS and SFB are ruining my days. At least when I had a SWMBO there were two brains and she remembered some stuff........Alas now I live with a dog and he don't remember much either.

peter nap
01-15-2010, 01:08 AM
I just can't tell you how much better this thread makes me feel.

broomhandle
01-15-2010, 01:14 AM
Hi Guys,

I see, I'm not the only one with "lost it" problems! :killingpc

I picked up a nice set of wood grips for my P-13 Para at the Lakeland gun show in Fl. Spent a few days with the grand kids at Disney & came home to GA.

Tried the grips on the P-13 fit great.

Sent gun out for chrome plating!
Gun comes back two months later, cannot locate the grips. I ripped the reloading room apart twice! I emptyed all the storage cabinets. Looked all over the house, including the garage.
They were LOST for EIGHT 8 months (10 months, counting the time at the plater), One Saterday, I'm at the reloading bench, reach for a note pad! There they were!:groner:

I had cleared that table three times, because that's where I "thought" I put them!

Ha - HA ! My pal was married about two months. He went to the mall with the lovely new wife. They did some shopping, He got in the car, came home about a 1/2 hour later the phone rings ! He was watching a football game.... Boy, she was PISSED!
Thirty years later, they still talk about it. :smile:

Best, broom

Echo
01-15-2010, 01:15 AM
while we're on the subject, can someone who still remembers refresh me on the quippy acronym for the "disease" that causes us to stand stupidly in the middle of a room we just entered wondering desperately WHY we went in there?

Gear

Right - it's . . . It's . . . Dang!

crabo
01-15-2010, 01:25 AM

Gear

CRS Can't Remember Sh....

Mumblypeg
01-15-2010, 02:28 AM
Ok, I had my share but the best one I know of wasn't me but one of the guys that worked for me and he wasn't old. In fact I called him a kid. This was a few years ago when I was at the Sheriff's office. I got a call from a friend of mine one day who worked at the local hardwear store. He asked me If we were missing one of the department's MP-5"s. I raised an eye brow and said" Why, did you find one?" Now I figgered he did or he wouldn't be asking. He said that a customer came in the store with this gun he found on the side of the road and he didn't know what it was, had never seen anything like it before and asked my friend if he knew what it was, to which he replied,"Something that you ain't supposed to have." He took possession of it and call me because he knew we had a couple of them and it was most likely ours. He gave me the ser. number and I checked our inventory to see who it was issued to, called the"Kid" up on the phone and asked him if he knew where his MP-5 ( full auto) was. He said" in the trunk of my car. " I asked him if he was sure and he said" Well maybe not since you're asking." He was smart enough to figger that out. It seems as though the night before he had stopped and got something out of the trunk of his patrol car and for some unknown reason had put the MP-5, still in the case, on the trunk lid, forgot it and drove off. There was good luck and bad luck to all of this. The case fell in the roadway and was run over buy a vehicle, bad. But the MP-5 was disabled in case someone else had found it, good. The guy that found it, I knew him also, turned it in to someone who knew what it was and called me. So no harm was done to anybody with it, that was good and thank God the news media didn't get a hold of that story. They would have had a field day with that one. The officer had to buy the Dept. another one, they ain't cheap and I would have fired him except that other than that he was one of my better officers. Needless to say, we had a long talk...

RSOJim
01-15-2010, 07:20 AM
I always know where I place or hide things. Unfortunately, my wife has a bad habit of rearranging everything in the house every other day.

StrawHat
01-15-2010, 08:27 AM
Yep, I have a T shirt for this category also. I "found" a pair of pistols I swore I sold. Still not sure what's up with that! And let's not talk about misplacing eyeglasses.

msp2640
01-15-2010, 09:28 AM
Newly married about 15 years ago, before kids with two incomes, living large and was buying all sorts of firearms when ever I spotted "a good deal". Used to carry a small 22 auto pocket pistol on occasion and at some point came home one day and put it in a coffee can of loose ammo on my reloading bench. Fast forward maybe 7 years, 4 kids later, we move into a new bigger house. Move all the reloading gear and while getting my new bench set up, I opened the 20 or so assorted coffee cans of brass, ammo, etc and low and behold I find the fully loaded 22 auto pistol I had long forgotten about and never even missed or thought about. To this day, I still thank my lucky stars none of the kids ever opened the can and found it - I sold it about a month later and nothing I own now will come close to fitting in a coffe can (like it was the can's fault) - you folks are the first to ever hear the story - Thanks for the thread - Bill L

mold maker
01-15-2010, 10:38 AM
The best way to find a lost item is to go ahead and replace it. This works especially if the cost is high.
I now have 2, or 3, of lots of stuff.
Turns out that when I hide something for safety, I'm the only one it's safe from.

Trey45
01-15-2010, 10:57 AM
I haven't lost a gun, but i sold my GMC a while back, and while cleaning out the backseat area I found 3 boxes of ammo I didn't know I had. I once drove over an hour to a shooting range only to realise i had left my range box, with all my ammo, earplugs, staple gun for hanging targets, everything , at home on the garage floor. I had all the rifles and pistols in the truck i wanted to shoot, just no ammo!

cptinjeff
01-15-2010, 11:11 AM
After several moves...and some time in storage. I forgot (and did not have a list) of a lot of components. After 4 years in one house I still find bullets and cases I forgot I had.

But what this thread reminds me of is a time I had a cheap holster that didn't quite fit my RB .44 mag. I used this gun as I primary hunting gun and lost it several times when it came out of the holster going through brush.

The one time it was real bad ( I was under 30 at the time) I was on an "Island" hunt for hogs. Was on sort of a "drive" to get some pigs moving out of the thick palmettos during the day and lost the gun. Didn't notice it till someone pointed out my empty holster. This was Friday afternoon. I (and about 10 other guys)looked for that thing all the daylight hours of the weekend:groner:. We found it by the grace of God Monday morning about an hour before the boat was to pick us up and take us off the island. Ruined 3 days of hunting and camping for about 14 folks[smilie=b:[smilie=b:. Last time I went into the woods with out a QUALITY holster that fits my gun just right.

oldhickory
01-15-2010, 11:13 AM
I put an old S&W M&P .38SPL. in a ceder closet some years ago and went nuts for several weeks looking for it. Then one day, poof!...There it was, I still have no memory of putting it there.:oops:

pb man
01-15-2010, 11:19 AM
I have a friend who went duck hunting. Wife was very interested for once in how it went when he returned. Seems he left his shotgun in the garage. Had to explain that his friend had a spare. Still hears about it 15 years later.

Freightman
01-15-2010, 11:27 AM

Gear
It is called Oldtimers Disease, that comes about by being born to early in the last century.

Tom308
01-15-2010, 11:32 AM
Sure am glad I'm not the only one. I'll not mention the guns. Last week I was at Sam's club in Tulsa and when it came time to pay, my pocket was empty. I had changed pants and forgot to transfer the pocket contents. Driving without a license was the least of my worries. My brother drove me home where I found my money and ID next to my bed. What a relief. I've gone shooting and forgot to bring my guns. I've not lost a gun yet. I hope that never happens.

cptinjeff
01-15-2010, 11:53 AM
And then there was the time I thought my car was stolen. Can't blame this on CRS because I was in college at the time. NO, alcohol was not involved. My senior year I lived off campus in an apartment complex a couple of miles from school. I had a car but generally only used it on weekends to go hunting or fishing or go see the folks etc. Most of the time it was parked in the same spot (I could see it from my fourth floor window). One day for some reason or another I drove to school. I threw my laundry in the car so I could do wash at the laundry (which was in a shopping center across the street from the apartment complex). Well, I usually walked to the laundry too...so instead of coming home from campus I went directly to the laundry. Out of habit I walked home as I always did.

The next morning I PANICKED big time when I woke up and looked out at my spot and the car was gone. About 10 minutes later I was on the phone with the police and it hit me that my car was probably in the shopping center lot across the street.

So...Even a college age kid can lose a car with no alcohol. WOW... I'm amazed I haven't made the Darwin awards yet!

cptinjeff
01-15-2010, 12:00 PM
And then there was the time I thought my car was stolen. Can't blame this on CRS because I was in college at the time. NO, alcohol was not involved. My senior year I lived off campus in an apartment complex a couple of miles from school. I had a car but generally only used on weekends to go hunting or fishing or go see the folks etc. Most of the time it was parked in the same spot (I could see it from my fourth floor window). One day for some reason or another I drove to school. I threw my laundry in the car so I could wash in the laundry (which was in a shopping center across the street from the apartment complex). Well, I usually walk to the laundry too...so instead of coming home from campus I went directly to the laundry. Out of habit I walked home as I always did.

The next morning I PANICKED big time when I woke up and looked out at my spot and the car was gone. About 10 minutes later I was on the phone with the police and it hit me that my car was probably in the shopping center lot across the street.

So...Even a college age kid can lose a car with no alcohol. WOW... I'm amazed I haven't made the Darwin awards yet!

broomhandle
01-15-2010, 12:07 PM
I have a friend who went duck hunting. Wife was very interested for once in how it went when he returned. Seems he left his shotgun in the garage. Had to explain that his friend had a spare. Still hears about it 15 years later.

Hi PBman,

Was your pals name, Chuck T. a fireman?
My pal Chuck did the EXACT same thing!

Best,
broomhandle

The Double D
01-15-2010, 01:07 PM

You cannot post great straight line like this without getting the appropriate response!

Change your socks more often!! :smile:

As I was reading this thread I was thinking of some of the CRS moments I had, but while typing the above response I forget them all. ;)

peter nap
01-15-2010, 01:15 PM
The best way to find a lost item is to go ahead and replace it. This works especially if the cost is high.
I now have 2, or 3, of lots of stuff.
Turns out that when I hide something for safety, I'm the only one it's safe from.

No!
The best way to find something is ream someone for losing it[smilie=b: Especially your wife

pjh421
01-15-2010, 05:36 PM
Heck, people leave BABIES on top of their cars and drive off. When I was a young kid in the Army I liked to use "series 200" locks to lock my wall locker. I can't tell you how many times we had to get the bolt cutters from the Supply Sergeant so I could open my locker to get my keys out. It got so expensive that I developed my own policy of never locking a pad lock, or the like, without physically having the key to it in my hand. I adhere to it to this day 30 years later because deep down inside I know I'm just a dumb a**

Paul

phishfood
01-15-2010, 06:41 PM
Definitely not just an oldtimer's ailment.

Back in my early, early 20's, I was working on a cattle ranch part time, and somewhere else part time. My beautiful stainless Ruger Redhawk in 44 Mag was stolen out of my vehicle at the other job, so the rancher lent me a nice 44 Special that had belonged to his father. One day, I realized that this gun and holster were no longer with me. Paul was "slightly" upset with me when I told him I had lost his Dad's gun. I cleaned out my tiny savings account and bought him a nickel plated Smith & Wesson 44 Mag to replace it. A few weeks later, he found his Dad's gun on top of a fence post in the cattle pens. Obviously, I had stuck it there when I had to get up close and personal with a cow to get her in the chute. He gave me the Smith back.

About a year and a half ago, I got a call from the Sherrif's office, my stainless Redhawk had turned up in a pawnshop. I gave the pawnshop owner that Smith & Wesson and some cash to boot to get it back.

rhead
01-15-2010, 07:30 PM

Gear

Yeah I do that pretty often. About half the time when it finally comes to me I realize that I was in the wrong room..

canyon-ghost
01-15-2010, 07:55 PM
I've been told the reason for this is that we are bored, complacent and unobservant. If a person is more observant then, they are not as bored. Be that as it may, I can't see for the bifocals or hear too well- that's gotta count, right?
A shooting buddy of mine went up to check targets for the last time, when he did, he drove right by me on the way out. His Contender pistol, in the case, was still sitting on the firing line. I asked the young guy there if he borrowed the gun from him, he replied "No", wide eyed and amazed. I took the case to my buddy's house and ask him where the gun that he shot today was.
"In the back of my pickup" he says
"I bet it's not" I say
His turn to be wide-eyed and amazed, he couldn't believe he did that. But, same thing applies, he shoots on the same range every Sunday, no change. It's when we get into these routines that we get derailed. No big thing, no worries.

Ron

Bulletlube
01-15-2010, 07:56 PM
A buddy of mine picked me up to go shooting and put my handguns and ammo in the back of his truck. When we turned the first corner we heard sometihing hit the ground and stopped.
In the 5 lane highway was a box of .41 mag. ammo, not so good seeing as though an 18 wheeler ran over it. He did not close the tail gate because he thought I went back in to get a rifle. When we got to looking I asked what he did with my Ruger Super Blackhawk Bisley Hunter. We found it in the road at the end of my driveway still in the box. All I lost was some ammo. Things happen to everyone if not to you just wait, it will.

twotrees
01-15-2010, 10:01 PM
I was in deer camp, by myself for a weekend and had killed a really BIG bodied deer.. I got it back to the "Meat Pole" and decided to take some pictures of it and me, with my Contender. While trying to get the camera set, me and the gun in the frame before the 10 seconds elapsed, I saw a pretty little model 7 Rem sitting against a tree 10 yards away.

I finished the shots and collected the gun and went to the camper to get the cleaning stuff. While working on my deer a white pickup zoomed past me on the dusty front road and then zoomed past on the back road, behind me.

I finished the deer, and "Dandy" (Name changed to protect the guilty) zoomed up to a dust cloud stop. He asked if I had seen a rifle around camp. I asked him a bunch of questions, just to drag it out. There had been a logging crew all around camp all week, working. He was sweating, real good, when I told him about finding a nice gray stocked model 7 Rem in 7-08. I said, if he would help me load the cooler into the truck, I would be glad to show it to him.

Yep, It was his gun. If it had been polished Blue and Walnut, instead of a pretty good camo, I'm sure that the logging crew would have found it before I, or "Dandy" did. He left it there the Saturday before!

I just loose them in the house, and my wife has to play "Gofer" and find it for me.

archmaker
01-16-2010, 02:22 PM
Went to an IHMSA match in Norman Ok, during an early spring match.

Seeing how I lived a ways from the match me and a buddy would meet up in a parking lot, and drive up early in the morning, usually took a couple of hours.

We get there, and I have everything I need to shoot the match except for a coat . . . of any kind. It was cold and windy and I was freezing my **** off, so my friend had an old duster like the cowboys would wear, that went down to my knees.

This was around 1990, and I looked like I was attending a western re-enactment with my long barrel ruger pistol instead of an IHMSA match.

Felt foolish walking around wearing that duster, but it was better than walking around in just a shirt in 40 degree weather with the wind blowing.

mroliver77
01-16-2010, 03:45 PM
I walk to the barn and stand there wondering why. I used to rely on wife and kids to remember and find things for me. Now I am mostly alone and lose things all the time. It amazes me when they sometimes turn up in places I have thoroughly searched. Out of all the things I have lost I miss my mind the most!!
Jay