PDA

View Full Version : GB .41 Caliber mold.

pistolman44
01-13-2010, 11:23 PM
There is a Group Buy started for a .41 caliber 230gr boolit. Has anyone here shot this heavy 230 gr boolit in a revolver? I have a S&W Classic Hunter 6" 41 mag and only shoot 210gr JHP out of it. This boolit over H110 is extremely accurate. If this mold was 200 or 210gr GC I would probably get it. I already cast for the 44mag GC, 45ACP and 45LC.

AZ-Stew
01-14-2010, 12:47 AM
First, a well-fitted boolit of the proper hardness doesn't need a gas check.

As for the weight, think about it. A 230 grain boolit is only 10 percent heavier than a 210 grain boolit. With the appropriate reduction in powder charge, you should have no problems at all with the heavier slug.

I bought a Taurus Titanium Tracker, 4 inch barrel, 5 shot .41 magnum a couple of years ago. Believe me, it's a real change from my M-57 6 inch Smith. I've also owned a 4 inch M-57, but even that was about twice as heavy as the Taurus. When I bought the gun, I also bought some factory ammo for it. The Speer Gold Dots were lively, but the Winchester 250 gr JHPs are what I call "vicious". I own a T/C Contender in .45-70, and it has "heavy" recoil. But the Taurus with the WW ammo is in another class due to the velocity of the recoil.

That (a bit more recoil, but not that much in a 6 inch steel revolver) and additional penetration on large game is what you'll experience with the 230 gr boolit. Will it damage your gun? No, assuming appropriate loads. Knock 3 or 4 grains off the top loads you use with 210 grain bullets and you'll have a good starting load. Work up carefully from there.

Let me know how it works out for you. If you don't like it, please give me first option to buy it from you.

Regards,

Stew