PDA

View Full Version : Forum Ranking Structure ?

montana_charlie
06-01-2006, 11:35 AM
I just noticed that I've been 'promoted' to Boolit Master.
I didn't think I had finished boot camp, yet.

How many 'ranks' are there, and what is the criteria for advancement?
(I read the FAQ, but this is not covered there.)
CM

klausg
06-01-2006, 12:23 PM
CM-I think that it's based on how many posts you've made; though I'm sure that Gunload Master will eventually see this & give us the correct answer.

-Klaus

montana_charlie
06-01-2006, 12:36 PM
Oh! So, one can move up the ladder by being a loud mouth.
Reminds me of some outfits I have worked for...
CM

keeper89
06-01-2006, 12:45 PM
Sad but oh so true.........but here you can pluck pearls of wisdom from those who haven't achieved the "rank".............:mrgreen:

Buckshot
06-01-2006, 06:46 PM
.............There are several BB's I'm aware of that have a so called 'Rank' assigned and it's all by your number of posts. The Practical Machinists BB starts you out at Plastic and I believe the highest is Diamond. It really serves no practical use. Another BB that deals mainly with gunsmithing and gunbuilding subjects is another. I don't recall the name right off but on one of the forums that has to do with machining in the shop.

At the time I had only owned my lathe less then a year. Yet in that year I had aquired many books on machining and had read the HSM, metal webnews, and Practical Machinists BB's back umpteen pages (12 hour unsupervised shifts at night allow for LOTS of reading). While reading about riding a bike is a lot different then actually getting on one, it does ground you in the basics. It allows you to understand about how to go about various things with lots of "So THAT'S how you do that" kind of stuff.

On that gunsmithing BB a guy asked a very basic question and he had the title of 'Lord of Gunsmiths' or something similar on his avatar. You might think that someone earning a title like that might know a thing or two.

On the 'Practical Machinists BB' they'd started a rating system whereby other board members could award you stars. I suppose for the use and value of your posts. Also not really practical as a friend could give you 5 stars (you can't give them to yourself). So pretty soon 80% of the members are sporting 5 stars which is the highest you can go :-)

...................Buckshot

9.3X62AL
06-01-2006, 07:07 PM
Yeah, I've always wanted to be a Bolivian Admiral. It sounds cool, and is just about as practical and indicative as our rankings herein. Admiral Al, what a promotion! Generalissimo For Life Buckshot would be another such title, very catchy and subtle too.

Scrounger
06-01-2006, 07:43 PM
So why have the rankings at all? Reminds me of EBAY and their stupid feedback system. I understand and encourage bad feedback; saying don't deal with this guy, he lies or cheats, that makes sense to me warning people and I approve of that. But the sissified good feedback is like brownosing for a gold star from the kindergarten teacher. To me the fact that you have 98 good feedbacks is irrelevant, your bad ones are the only ones that have meaning. Sorry, I quit playing 'school' fifty=some years ago...

By the way, just to get it out, someone mentioned to me he thought the rank of Moderator was growing by leaps and bounds, that pretty soon we would have more Moderators than ordinary fplks, whatever they call them. Myself, I don't even notice the ranks so I could care less... Guess I have a very unmilitary attitude.

waksupi
06-01-2006, 08:16 PM
Points are awarded according to the phase of the moon. You can also get more points, by posting every other consecutive Tuesdays, at 6 AM. Posts made on Sunday mornings when you have a hangover, gains you six extra points, assuming you are coherent. If incoherent, subtract twenty points. You gain points according to the amount of members online when you post, and loose points if you are under the selected numbers of the day. If Carpetman is in chat, denying sheep, and you blow the whistle on him, you automatically gain fifty positive points, and a decoder ring. If your tomatoes are ripe by July 15, add another 23 points. I don't know why 23, that is just the way it is. It could have been

45nut
06-01-2006, 08:29 PM
6! yes 6!

Gunload Master
06-01-2006, 08:53 PM
Here's your breakdown :)

0 to 19 posts = Boolit Mold
20-49 posts = Boolit Bub
50-74 posts = Boolit Buddy
75-149 posts = Boolit Man
150-4999999999 posts = Boolit Master
500000000000-Infinite = Its time to get a job

cherok9878
06-01-2006, 11:02 PM
waksupi, my tomatoes were ripe on 28 May, I want my 23 points.............larry

waksupi
06-01-2006, 11:24 PM
waksupi, my tomatoes were ripe on 28 May, I want my 23 points.............larry

You got 'em, buddy! Don't have them on me at the time, but I would rather owe them to you, than beat you out of them!

9.3X62AL
06-01-2006, 11:55 PM
I'm pretty unmilitary too, but still want the epaulets. And the hat.

DanWalker
06-02-2006, 01:08 AM
If you're gonna wear epaulettes you simply MUST have a sash, buckler, cutlass, and big shiney boots.
As for rank.... I can get pretty rank after a few days in camp without a shower. As a matter of fact, when we camp in griz country I just hang my dirty socks outside the tent. The stink keeps everything except buzzards away.

kodiak1
06-02-2006, 08:49 PM
Charlie I don't know now if you is complainin or braggin? Good luck either way and keep on posting.
Ken

Antietamgw
06-03-2006, 09:59 AM
I always thought we ought to start out as Boolit "sprue". One more post on my way to "Buddy":-D :-D

454PB
06-03-2006, 12:57 PM
Now that all the newer guys know how this works, I bet we see a lot of fluffy posts.......like this one!