PDA

View Full Version : Illuminated Recticle Scope Selection

chickenstripe
01-13-2010, 01:36 PM
I'm kinda putting together my "go-to" medium/large size game, hunting rifle. I want a scope with an illuminated recticle for low light hunting, and have narrowed it to the following:

Trijicon AccuPoint TR21-3 Rifle Scope 1.25-4x 24mm Dual-Illuminated German #4 with Amber Dot Reticle Matte

Burris Euro Diamond Rifle Scope 30mm Tube 1-4x 24mm Illuminated 3P#4 E-Dot Reticle Matte

Leupold VX-3 Rifle Scope 30mm Tube 1.5-5x 20mm Metric Illuminated German #4 Reticle Matte

Anyone have any experience with any of these? I'm not totally sold on the German #4, but it's the only choice in the Trijicon, so I figured I'd make it an apples-to-apples comparison.

KYCaster
01-13-2010, 07:56 PM
Chickenstripe, please forgive me for the off topic reply. I have absolutely zero experience with any of the scopes you mention.

I've been curious about your location since the first time I read it....Pennsyltucky....where the heck is that????

The combined area of Louisville, KY and Floyd/Clark Co., IN are commonly known as Kentuckyana...(sounds better than Indiucky). A similar but lesser know area between Clarksville, TN and Tiny Town, KY is called Kennessee...(sounds better than Tennessucky), but your's is the first refference I've seen to Pennsyltucky.

All the trips I've ever made from KY to PA and back have involved either lots of BIG HILLS through WV or lots of LONG BORING interstates in OH...and sometimes both. Nowhere have I ever seen a physical or geographic link between the two states. Unless you consider the Ohio river and its origin a link, I just don't get it. (BTW...I think Three Rivers Stadium for years has been dumping all their excess steroids, testosterone and recycled beer into the Susquehana and polluting everything downstream. That's why all the kids in Indiucky are born naked.)

So, if it's not too much trouble, could you enlighten me? I know it's not much in the over-all scheme of things, but every time I see one of your posts I don't sleep well worrying about it. Pleeeeaaasssseeeee???

If this detracts too much from the intent of your post, please tell me and I'll delete it....just couldn't resist.

Jerry

winelover
01-13-2010, 08:42 PM
I'm kinda putting together my "go-to" medium/large size game, hunting rifle. I want a scope with an illuminated recticle for low light hunting, and have narrowed it to the following:

Trijicon AccuPoint TR21-3 Rifle Scope 1.25-4x 24mm Dual-Illuminated German #4 with Amber Dot Reticle Matte

Burris Euro Diamond Rifle Scope 30mm Tube 1-4x 24mm Illuminated 3P#4 E-Dot Reticle Matte

Leupold VX-3 Rifle Scope 30mm Tube 1.5-5x 20mm Metric Illuminated German #4 Reticle Matte

Anyone have any experience with any of these? I'm not totally sold on the German #4, but it's the only choice in the Trijicon, so I figured I'd make it an apples-to-apples comparison.

Go with the Trijicon and don't look back! I have two of the older models, a 3 x 9 and the 1.25 - 4 x 24 , never a problem and they don't require batteries that need replacing at the most inopertune times. I have the 1.25-4 on my 338 Win Mag and it is holding up very nicely.

I also have the 1.5-5X Leupold Signature with the 1" tube with the lighted German #4 post. I don't recommend their lighted recticles as I had to send it back 3 times for service. They make great optics but not electronics. I have 3 other Leos that I'm delighted with but none have lighted recticles.

My experience with Burris is with a 6 - 24X Mil dot non-luminated recticle. Wouldn't buy another. It's a premium optic but I think I'm spoiled by the Trijicon' s and Leupold's. One supplier I deal with sells a lot of REFURBISHED Burris' so keep that in mind!

Just my 2 cents---your mileage may vary.

Winelover:drinks:

Finster101
01-13-2010, 08:49 PM
If I remember correctly the Three Stooges used the Pennsyltucky Railroad to get to Schmo.

winelover
01-13-2010, 08:56 PM
Chickenstripe, please forgive me for the off topic reply. I have absolutely zero experience with any of the scopes you mention.

I've been curious about your location since the first time I read it....Pennsyltucky....where the heck is that????

The combined area of Louisville, KY and Floyd/Clark Co., IN are commonly known as Kentuckyana...(sounds better than Indiucky). A similar but lesser know area between Clarksville, TN and Tiny Town, KY is called Kennessee...(sounds better than Tennessucky), but your's is the first refference I've seen to Pennsyltucky.

All the trips I've ever made from KY to PA and back have involved either lots of BIG HILLS through WV or lots of LONG BORING interstates in OH...and sometimes both. Nowhere have I ever seen a physical or geographic link between the two states. Unless you consider the Ohio river and its origin a link, I just don't get it. (BTW...I think Three Rivers Stadium for years has been dumping all their excess steroids, testosterone and recycled beer into the Susquehana and polluting everything downstream. That's why all the kids in Indiucky are born naked.)

So, if it's not too much trouble, could you enlighten me? I know it's not much in the over-all scheme of things, but every time I see one of your posts I don't sleep well worrying about it. Pleeeeaaasssseeeee???

If this detracts too much from the intent of your post, please tell me and I'll delete it....just couldn't resist.

Jerry

One has to be from Pennsyltucky to know about it. Is a well kept secret, punishable by a fate worse than death! You ask, how I know?? Well I was born there. A little town known as Plains, near the banks of the Susquehanna, in northeast Pennsyltucky.[smilie=1:

Winelover:redneck:

Lloyd Smale
01-14-2010, 05:11 AM
ive got a trijicon accupoint 1x4x30 tr24 and I havent used the others your refering to can insure you that the trijicon is a fine piece of glass. I own a couple acogs and aimpoints and i wanted something different for my 762x39 ar and bought this. Ive come to the conclusion that a guy couldnt find a slicker optic for a hunting rifle thats not going to be used over 300 yards. Its very clear, picks up light better then any scope i have in the safe and the thing is lit day and night and never needs a battery.

ebg3
01-14-2010, 08:41 AM
I've got two Accupoint 1.25-4 scopes, one with the amber triangle and one with red. I use these scopes for multigun. I just sent one back to have the parallax problem fixed, both scopes showed 3-4" parallax at 100yds. The scopes are very clear and the fiber optic illumination is bright and really neat. They did fix the parallax in my scope and I need to send the other one back for the same. I also have two Leupold 4.5-14 X 50 illuminated scopes on rifles for deer hunting. I've been very pleased with the Leupolds. In low light conditions, I've never had to turn the illumintion on over the second lowest setting. In full daylight, however the illumination is not visible on the highest setting. With the Accupoints, you can see the illumination on the brightest day and there are no batteries to replace.
Both scopes are good choices, but I think the Leupold is of higher quality. Just my humble opinion! Hope this helps,
Eddie

chickenstripe
01-14-2010, 09:00 AM
Western, Pennsyltuckey is "slang" for Western, PA.

I heard it used over 20yrs ago, and I thought it was hillarious...... thought I'd use it here. (and it doesn't hurt to keep you guys guessing) BTW I don't mind the "post drift", keeps things light and interesting.

I appreciate the info on the Leupold electronics. You never hear anything bad about Leupold, so it made me a bit skeptical.

The only reviews I've been able to get regarding the Trijicon has been about their ACOG. Lots of them out there I guess helping to keep the bad-guys at bay. I do like the "no batteries" illumination.

The burris was in the price range of the others, so I threw it in the mix.

Primary concern is optical quality, and illumination...... Sounds like the Trijicon may be the way to go.

As always thanks for the info guys..... any more infoarmation is, as always appreciated.

ebg3
01-14-2010, 02:42 PM
I like the Trijicons but it is important to remember that the Acogs are very much different than the Accupoints. Basically they are made by two different manufacturers.
EG