PDA

View Full Version : Catshooter's 32 Keith Boolit

StrawHat
01-13-2010, 07:51 AM
Anyone worked up a good load with this for the older S&W revovlers? I am starting to put some together based on the Pet Loads article for revovlers and figured if anyone had a good load, this would be the place to find it. Found nothing using the search function so decided to ask.

(Ruger loads need not apply)

Thanks

Catshooter
01-14-2010, 08:24 PM
StrawHat,

For my 1914 production Smith Hand Ejector I started with Blue Dot. I wanted a lower pressure round, so I went with a slower powder.

Since it's quite a bit slower than Bullseye I started at 2.5 grains. Shot well and cleanly too.

Bullseye is the normal standard, but I felt it was a bit abrupt for a solf steeled gun.

Cat

StrawHat
01-15-2010, 08:19 AM
StrawHat,

For my 1914 production Smith Hand Ejector I started with Blue Dot. I wanted a lower pressure round, so I went with a slower powder.

Since it's quite a bit slower than Bullseye I started at 2.5 grains. Shot well and cleanly too.

Bullseye is the normal standard, but I felt it was a bit abrupt for a solf steeled gun.

Cat

I never considered Blue Dot being softer than Bullseye. So much to learn with this smokeless powder! Is there a listing of powders considered soft?

I am working from Ken Waters Pet Loads on the 32-20 and he did not publish any working pressures with his loads. Still a wonderful article and I enjoy what he did.

I was considering using Unique for some of my loads, KW lists loads for 100 grain swaged boolits between 4 and 5 grains. For Lyman 3118 he used 4.5 grains of Unique. I am also going to load some with black powder so I have a baseline to compare against.

dubber123
01-15-2010, 11:32 AM
I think Cats loading the 32 S&W long, not the 32 WCF. Your 4.5 grain load is plenty safe with this boolit in the 32-20. I have loaded a good bit hotter in my S&W, (early 1900's production). You may find the 100 grainer shoots a little low if it's a fixed sight gun, mine did. I believe they were regulated for 120's.