PDA

View Full Version : 2010 Shot show

mtnman31
01-12-2010, 01:36 PM
The Shot Show is next week and this is my first year to attend. I am pretty excited to go. Is there anything that is a must see or must do? Any recommendations or tips on getting the most out of the show?

Anyone from the board going? I'd be more than happy to stop by and chat if anyone will have a booth there. I will be there Thursday and Friday.

Cheers

mike in co
01-12-2010, 02:00 PM
go register/log in early. take the book of exhibitors and the map...spend some time studiying the two,and log where you want to go.
its four days...but get to your fav's first. if a dealer lots of nice pricing...bring money as some stuff is sold on the spot.
i have free hotel room and still cannot afford to go.....

mike in co

cbrick
01-12-2010, 02:20 PM
I went the last time it was in Vegas, the first thing I learned was that running shoes are a must. I'm not going this year, money is just too tight.

Add up the number of hours the show is open each day, divide the total hours by number of exhibits and you'll see that you will get well under 1 minute at each exhibit. If you spend 2 minutes at one exhibit there is another that you'll never see. You simply must make a list of what you want to see and stick to it, once your list is completed you can wander around and see other stuff. Use the NSSF web site to see a list of exhibitors before you go.

All of the firearm mfg's are a must see but bring a dry towel cause you'll be drooling excessively, the extent of these displays is simply mind boggling. Magma puts on a great exhibit and they are great people to chat with. I avoid the exhibits such as clothes, there are just too many fascinating things to see to spend much time looking at shirts, jackets and boots. Your list will depend on your interests, there isn't anybody even remotely related to Shooting - Hunting - Outdoor trades that isn't there. Huge does not come close to describing it.

I've been to many trade shows from SEMA to cars, electronics etc and there is nothing to compare with the SHOT show. Get there early each day and stay late. Ignore your painfull feet, you'll walk miles each day. That's not a typo, MILES each day.

Enjoy, looking forward to a complete report when you get back.

Rick

Rocky Raab
01-12-2010, 02:23 PM
Somebody once calculated that if you spent equal time at every booth, and were there every minute the show was open, you'd get something like 63 seconds per booth. Moral: you CANNOT see everything. At the official website, there is a tool that helps you map out your favorites. It is a VERY valuable tool.

In fact, very few companies sell anything off the floor, and NO guns or ammo. Do yourself a favor and go by the E.A.R Inc booth (1044) and get fitted with a set of custom earplugs. get there early in the morning or there will be a long line.

broomhandle
01-12-2010, 02:24 PM
Hi M-man,

+1 what the others posted!
Check your PM's

You can get your picture taken with the Gunny & lovely models!
See &talk to all the guys from Outdoor TV!

Best,
broomhandle

S.R.Custom
01-12-2010, 04:21 PM
I'll be going. I was told to take a couple sandwiches so as to avoid the $12.00 corndogs...

mike in co
01-12-2010, 07:30 PM
aprox 75% of the show floor is clothing/boots/hats/archery.....a very big $$$$ part of the industry is clothing.

and yes, not everyone has product on the floor...but some do and those that don't will take your money and ship........i have bought at every show, probably 50/50 on pick up there and ship home.

if you collect flyers/catalogs....you will not survive......take business cards and let them mail it to you. i only pick up show special flyers.

bring something to ship it all home in.......

ship it home , if you fly in ...ship it home.

mike in co

Gunload Master
01-13-2010, 03:09 PM
I keep telling myself I need to go one of these years.. Just havent been able to yet.

Rocky Raab
01-13-2010, 03:19 PM
Searching the Exhibitor List, I can't find any listing for a CastBoolits, or such entity. So, is there to be a presence there?

45nut
01-13-2010, 03:25 PM
Not officially Rocky.

broomhandle
01-13-2010, 07:30 PM
I'll be going. I was told to take a couple sandwiches so as to avoid the $12.00 corndogs...

Hi SupeMag,

Your 100% correct.
I found it better to go to one of the better restaurants in or next door to the show & have realy nice (sit -down) meal for $5.00 -$8.00 more.
A $3.00 coke & $5.00 slice of pizza standing in a corner, don't work for me any more.
I have not been to the new site yet. The last SHOT show in L.V. was at the other convention center, they are rebuilding that one.

Best,
broomhandle

cbrick
01-13-2010, 10:36 PM
OK, I couldn't stand it any longer, I just signed in and reserved a hotel room. Guess I'll be there all four days.

This is the money I was putting away for a new 7-08. Oh well, maybe next summer or fall.

Freedom Arms is coming out with a new handgun, a single shot FA :shock: believe it or not. I just gotta see this.

Rick

mike in co
01-13-2010, 10:51 PM
OK, I couldn't stand it any longer, I just signed in and reserved a hotel room. Guess I'll be there all four days.

This is the money I was putting away for a new 7-08. Oh well, maybe next summer or fall.

Freedom Arms is coming out with a new handgun, a single shot FA :shock: believe it or not. I just gotta see this.

Rick

lol ...you think the room and registration was all the money you're gonna spend.....lol

it just started !!!!

mike in co

cbrick
01-13-2010, 11:09 PM
lol ...you think the room and registration was all the money you're gonna spend.....lol it just started !!!! mike in co

Interesting, I would ask what your talking about except I've been to a few SHOT shows already, been to Vegas a couple hundred times.

lol ?? What is funny?

Strange post!

Rick

pmeisel
01-14-2010, 12:02 AM
My wife wants us to vacation in Vegas sometime, and I am not much of a gambler. Might be a good reason to go next year. Any tips for a complete newbie?

Rocky Raab
01-14-2010, 12:05 PM
First off, it is NOT open to the public. You have to be an FFL, a buyer for an FFL, a media type or something else employed within the industry (and they are getting VERY strict on approvals).

Other than that, it is like any other trade show. You can't see it all; many companies will not sell anything or will take orders only; unless you are a wholesale buyer everything is atfull MSRP; and booths are so busy you won't a chance to chat with a rep at leisure.

mike in co
01-14-2010, 01:56 PM
First off, it is NOT open to the public. You have to be an FFL, a buyer for an FFL, a media type or something else employed within the industry (and they are getting VERY strict on approvals).

Other than that, it is like any other trade show. You can't see it all; many companies will not sell anything or will take orders only; unless you are a wholesale buyer everything is atfull MSRP; and booths are so busy you won't a chance to chat with a rep at leisure.

rocky,
my badge id's me as a "buyer" for a sporting goods dealer.......they talk to me.

and yes this is not a "gun show"...it is the industry's annual convention....new products, new contracts, wheeling and dealing.

mike in co

cbrick
01-14-2010, 01:58 PM

All true. I have only ever made one purchase at the show, the 40 year Handloader collection on DVD from Wolfe, $200.00 off at the show only so I bought it. The entire purpose of these companies spending huge money to be at the show is to do business. The larger exhibits have private offices inside the display, they are taking orders and signing contracts from wholesalers, store owners etc from all over the world for their merchandise for the following year. Most exhibitors will not sell anything at the show, some will take orders. Most of them do not have the stock on hand to sell at the show, they have their displays only. The SHOT Show IS NOT a gun show in the usual sense, it is a trade show by and for the trade.

The SHOT Show is the best place to find out what's new and coming out in the next year such as FA's new single shot pistol.

You'll get some chance to chat with some of the exhibitors depending on the exhibit and the time of day. First thing in the morning before the floor is packed full is probably the best time. An hour after they open the doors it becomes 1.2 million square feet packed full of humanity running around like farts in a tornado.

The SHOT Show really is something to behold.

Rick

mike in co
01-14-2010, 01:58 PM
Interesting, I would ask what your talking about except I've been to a few SHOT shows already, been to Vegas a couple hundred times.

lol ?? What is funny?

Strange post!

Rick

not a strange post at all. it takes a broke person or some very strong will to NOT buy at the show.
going is just the begining of the spending........
and then it is in vegas...shows, gambling, firing ranges with full auto guns for rent.....

mike in co

cbrick
01-14-2010, 02:45 PM
Well Mike, I am very well aware of what is in Las Vegas. I don't gamble, unless there is a specific show that I really want to see I don't go to any. I have fired enough full auto firearms to satisfy my curiosity, no need to do that. Broke? My finances aren't anyone's business but just because you have money doesn't mean it needs to be left in Vegas, people that do have built the entire city.

Biggest expense . . . I will get to a few of my favorite restaurants. Hotel, well, I have been going to Vegas for many years and know where to get a good room without getting scalped. Check in on Monday and check out on Saturday . . . under $250.00

Yep Mike, I am very well aware of what a trip to the SHOT Show will cost and there is no need to spend money like the government to go. A trip to the NASCAR races in Vegas costs more than the SHOT Show except for those very foolish with their money.

Rick

mtnman31
01-14-2010, 05:31 PM
Speaking of restaurants in Vegas - my favorite for breakfast is Egg Works. Fantastic breakfast with some amazing muffins. I've tried to get the muffin recipe and they laughed at me. :wink:
http://www.theeggworks.com/
They've got a couple locations so, check out the website.

Myself and a few other Marines will be at the SHOT show looking at the goods. Look for the uniforms and say hello.

cbrick
01-14-2010, 06:49 PM
Myself and a few other Marines will be at the SHOT show looking at the goods. Look for the uniforms and say hello.

Absolutely I will, I always say thank you when I see that proud uniform.

I'll check out the eggs. :)

Rick

Rocky Raab
01-14-2010, 09:23 PM
Pick a morning, gyrene. Breakfast on me.

Looks like the original Egg and I place on 4533 West Sahara is closest.

Rocky Raab
01-16-2010, 01:50 PM
Well, no reply, and I leave Sunday morning.

Tell ya what. I'll be there Wednesday morning at 7:30. Ask for me. I'll wear my "Rocky" hat.

cbrick
01-16-2010, 03:46 PM
Well, no reply, and I leave Sunday morning.

Tell ya what. I'll be there Wednesday morning at 7:30. Ask for me. I'll wear my "Rocky" hat.

Rocky, I'll try and be there Wed if ya don't mind. Let's see how many from here we can get together and meet.

Rick

Rocky Raab
01-16-2010, 07:43 PM
Eggs-ellent!

Rocky Raab
01-20-2010, 07:22 PM
I was there at The Egg and I, ready to buy breakfast for one and all.

Nobody showed.

cbrick
01-20-2010, 08:36 PM
Sorry Rocky, I got trapped into breakfast this morning with 5 other friends, one of which is my gunsmith, gotta keep him happy. :coffee:

We'll be at the Ellis Island rest. for breakfast again in the morning, please feel free to join us. It's on Koval (one block from Flamingo Blvd) just several blocks up from the Sands Convention Center, right next to the Super 8 Motel. 7 AM.

Hope you can make it, would love to get the chance to meet you.

Rick

mtnman31
01-21-2010, 01:54 AM
Rocky,
sorry I didn't get back with you. I definitely appreciate the offer. My plans to go changed at the last minute. Instead of going at the end of the week I ended up attending Tuesday and left this (Wed) morning. I was staying with a couple work mates at the Luxor. Wouldn't you know it, we were out late and didn't get up early enough for a good breakfast:drinks: Unfortunately, I had to leave today at lunch in order to get back in time for a class I have Wed. nights. Next year I will have 2-3 days dedicated to the show.

The show was AMAZING. Met Ted Nugent and R. Lee Ermey. I walked all day Tuesday and about an hour this morning (Wed) and I figure I saw only about a third of the show. I didn't see much in the way of dedicated bullet casting products, but then again I had so much that I didn't get to see.
A couple of my show favorites
- The gigantic, yellow two-ton safe. Must have been 12 feet tall. I think it was Sentry Safe's display. 12,000 dollar price tag.
- Anzio Iron Works 50-20 rifle. A 20mm case necked down to shoot a .50 cal bullet. 60 pound rifle that looks like a small cannon. They had developed a load to shoot an 1100grain bullet! Very impressive.
- Cimarron Arms had a fun show with the gun slinging and spinning demos.
- The hundreds of beautiful women working many of the booths...:-P

I'd like to publicly thank a few of the vendors for their fantastic hospitality and support. DPMS (Shane) treated us like royalty. ADS and Horus were both very gracious; kept my stomach full and my whistle wet. The folks at Otis were also very hospitable and appreciative of us. I can't wait till next year.

Lloyd Smale
01-21-2010, 04:04 AM
go here for day to day updates http://www.gunblast.com/SHOT_Show_2010.htm

mike in co
01-21-2010, 05:11 PM
has anyone inquired to the primer makers/distributors....what kind of price HIKE can we expect in feb ??
( my distributor has hiked his prices, but its him , not the maker for usa primers)

mike in co

Rocky Raab
01-21-2010, 06:50 PM
None that I spoke to mentioned any wholesale price hike at all. Federal has upped their production, WW and CCI are still working to maximum speed.

One of them said that prices have been stable throughout, at about $18 a thousand, in bulk, wholesale. With the normal retail markup, that ought to translate to about $25-28/1000.

mike in co
01-21-2010, 08:56 PM
None that I spoke to mentioned any wholesale price hike at all. Federal has upped their production, WW and CCI are still working to maximum speed.

One of them said that prices have been stable throughout, at about $18 a thousand, in bulk, wholesale. With the normal retail markup, that ought to translate to about $25-28/1000.

but , as a dealer, my cost today is closer to 25/27/k

Rocky Raab
01-23-2010, 12:03 PM
Mike, do you buy from a jobber or direct? And the key might be in the words "in bulk". If you only order a few tens of thousands at a time, you might not be in that price bracket. It might take a truckload order.

Added: and it occurs to me that $18 is probably the price before shipping and HAZMAT, too.

lwknight
01-23-2010, 01:56 PM
I was told that minimun order from CCI was 1 million.

mike in co
01-23-2010, 08:43 PM
Mike, do you buy from a jobber or direct? And the key might be in the words "in bulk". If you only order a few tens of thousands at a time, you might not be in that price bracket. It might take a truckload order.

Added: and it occurs to me that $18 is probably the price before shipping and HAZMAT, too.

rocky,
i buy from a distributor( i'm a small dealer). i have tried to switch suppliers, but no one is taking new accounts. my distributor raised the price on wolf...they now cost me more than i used to sell them for. i was told wolf raised thier price 25%...but its more than that to me...so the distributor is taking a bigger bite. usa primers while seldom available, my cost delivered was going to be close to 24/k.

i can't wait for thing to settle out......lol.

i buy 50k at a time. some times 25k.

so no not big.
mike in co

Rocky Raab
01-23-2010, 09:59 PM
Yeah, I think that explains it. There's a middleman share plus you are a small potatoes customer who doesn't get anything like a volume discount.

Sounds about what we'd expect, really. The jobber buys them for $18, sells them for $24 and then you sell them for a bit more. A $30 retail for a $24 wholesale is an average (and necessary) markup.

azrednek
01-23-2010, 10:23 PM
- Anzio Iron Works 50-20 rifle. A 20mm case necked down to shoot a .50 cal bullet. 60 pound rifle that looks like a small cannon. They had developed a load to shoot an 1100grain bullet! Very impressive.

Is it for LEO and military only or is legal for anybody. I'm assuming it would likely require require an ATF NFA stamp? I was under the impression that a cartridge rifle could not be larger than 50 caliber.

I bet Ahhhhnold in California would load his pants if he saw one.