PDA

View Full Version : Range report/weird leading w/358477

klausg
05-31-2006, 11:18 AM
Hey Gang-
I finally couldn't wait any longer to try some of my bullets, I'd really like to give you reports of astounding accuracy, but all I can say is that I definitely achieved "minute-of-the ubiquitous feral beer can". The actual acid test at a real range will be this weekend, but I couldn't wait so I headed out one of the many back roads in AK & proceeded to blast away @ various targets of opportunity that the slobs had left all over, (and yes I did police all of them up @ the conclusion). The weapon was my S&W 586, load was a 358477,(straight WW, water-quenched) backed by 5 gr of Win 473AA, with CCI 500's. Range varied from 10-20 yards, and accuracy was very acceptable, proof will be when I actually shoot them on paper. All in all it was a very pleasurable experience.

Now comes the cleaning; absolutely no lead in the bore. Not that I really expected to find any at those modest velocities, but still it is very nice not to need a hammer to force the first patch down the tube;-) . The weird thing was that one of the chambers in the cylinder, (and just one), developed a nice 'ring' of lead on the face of the cylinder. Now, I have been remiss and have not slugged anything I own yet, so I really don't have enough data to give you as to possible causes. I can tell you that I sized all of my boolits to .358, (using a Lee), pan lubed w/either SAECO Gold or Thompson's Blue Angel. so my questions are these:

a) Do I have a problem? Is this indicative of something not nice that I should be concerned over?

b) I tend to think that the chamber throat on that hole must be either tighter or looser than the rest; am I on the right track?

Thanks in advance, take care

_SSG Klaus

Bucks Owin
05-31-2006, 11:33 AM
Time to dig out the digital calipers and take a reading on the cyl throats maybe?

I've got an even stranger phenomenon with my M19-4 Smith. I get little (maybe 1/16") "splotches" of lead on the OUTSIDE of the cyl near the throats! Only thing I can figure is a little bit of "gap spitting" is bouncing off the topstrap and adhering to the cyl? I dunno.....

Yeah, let us know how your paper targets look...

Dennis

44man
05-31-2006, 03:19 PM
It is very possible that the hammer cocked before the cylinder lock engaged and the throat was out of line with the bore. Cock the gun gently until the hammer locks and see if you can turn the cylinder into a locked condition.
The other thing to check is if all chambers line up with the bore. Look down the barrel with a strong backlight and bring each chamber into full cock looking for one out of line. Be surprised how easy it is to see one.
Of course, I hope you empty the gun!

klausg
06-01-2006, 12:18 PM
Bucks/44- thanks guys, I'll try your suggestions tonight. Of course since I'm not feeling particularily suicidal, I unload first!! Thanks again, take care!

-SSG Klaus