PDA

View Full Version : .416 Taylor

caillouetr9981
01-11-2010, 03:35 PM
I have two .416 Taylor rifles to feed and am trying to develop a load that will get me to 1800-2000fps with a 350gr. GC cast bullet.

Do have loads for much more velocity with jacketed bullet, but want to get cast loads for use on Whitetails.

Reggie

6pt-sika
01-12-2010, 11:29 PM
By no means am I trying to talk you out of shooting cast in your Taylor's , but in one of my 416 REM MAG's I use the 350 grain Speer bullet . That thing is the hammer of Thor on whitetails :bigsmyl2:

1Shirt
01-12-2010, 11:46 PM
6pt, Must be some real big, and very tough whitetails in your country!
1Shirt!:coffeecom

Kskybroom
01-13-2010, 01:24 AM
I had a RUGER #1 in 458 win mag. It wasn't hitting hard anuff. So I rechamberd it to 460 Weatherby Mag. This one nice pig rifle. When thay land Thay are DRT...But For real.. I found if i shoot heavy boolits about 1250 to 1300 Its alot of fun to shoot. Had to do a lot of trail an error.

Hardcast416taylor
01-13-2010, 11:51 AM
Reggie, I sent you a PM on loads for the Taylor. I got the loads from a letter from Ken Waters as the loads he used and liked. No offense on the "other" .416`s, but the Taylor does everything and more that I`ll ever need, and is easier to make brass for.Robert

6pt-sika
01-13-2010, 11:26 PM

No not really !
But if you got it you may as well use it ;)

chuckbuster
01-19-2010, 09:57 PM
Reggie, I sent you a PM on loads for the Taylor. I got the loads from a letter from Ken Waters as the loads he used and liked. No offense on the "other" .416`s, but the Taylor does everything and more that I`ll ever need, and is easier to make brass for.Robert

Hey Hardcast
If you don't mind sharing those loads with another send them my way. I have a "Taylor" that does not get nearly enough exercise, hard to have fun at nearly $1 each for 350gr HAWKS.
Thanx
Kevin

Hardcast416taylor
01-20-2010, 06:44 PM
Here you are Chuck.

These are loads that Ken Waters gave me in a letter from the tech staff at Handloader magazine. The loads work for the RCBS 350 gr. as his recommendations.

46 to 50 gr. IMR - 3031 = 1700 to 1900 fps
* personal favorite is 50 gr.

46 to 50 gr. AA -2230 = 1750 to 1900 fps

50 to 52 gr. IMR - 4064 = 1750 to 1925 fps

47 gr. AA - 2015 1950 fps (best accuracy load)

50 gr. IMR - 4064 (other best accuracy load)

50 gr. AA - 2520 = 1950 fps (best deer load)

48 gr. RL - 7 = 2025 fps ( Highest velocity cast load)

Remember to back off a bit when loading these loads to start with, I used standard large rifle primers for all loads except jacketed bullet loads. Ken Waters

__________________________________________________ ______

Favorite Jacketed loads:

350 Speer either,

65 gr. IMR - 3031
or
69 gr. IMR - 4320

Myself I prefer the 50 gr. load of 3031 for my RCBS 350 gr. loading, haven`t cast any of my new h.p. mold I just got back from Buckshot. Probably won`t cast any till Spring due to my arthritis. I`ll do a posting on here about the new mold on paper results then.Robert

chuckbuster
01-20-2010, 08:18 PM
THNX

Have to see what my Ruger 77 thinks of a couple of these.

Kevin

caillouetr9981
01-22-2010, 06:33 PM

My last Whitetail buck dressed (yes, DRESSED OUT) at 260-lbs. - taken with my .338-06 (jacketet Sierra, not a cast).

Had built the .416 Taylors to use on pigs - BIG ONES that we couldn't stop cleanly with stout .45-70 loads (both cast and jacketed).

Reggie

caillouetr9981
02-02-2010, 04:58 PM
The fun continues...

Have been working up loads with Trail Boss powder for the 350gr RCBS cast and have been getting amazing accuracy, but at a max velocity of 1200fps. (Will now try AA-2015 to hopefully get up to 1800fps, or so.)

Once we get these casts up to speed (hopefully with similar accuracy) the next step is to try to guesstimate what destruction these casts will do. Have considered exposure to multiple water-filled gallon milk jugs lined up back-to-back, but this gets awfully messy in a hurry.

frank505
02-10-2010, 07:39 PM
How did the 250 Sierra work, and about what was the initial velocity and what was the range.

caillouetr9981
02-11-2010, 04:14 PM
How did the 250 Sierra work, and about what was the initial velocity and what was the range.

I can only imagine that you are asking about the 250gr. Sierras in the 338-06. In my rifle (I built this one from a choice 98-Mauser), the 250gr Sierra gave me 5-shot groups that were almost impossible to measure! I have several one-hole groups using that round with the Sierras tracking at 2550fps. In hunting applications, this same load was devasting on deer! No matter how you hit them, the deer fell immediately. The Sierras would travel on through leaving a decent off-side hole, but wouldn't bloody the meat. I'm fairly sure that the Sierras weren't opening up much, but they did an awsome job on game!

Years ago, I used to hunt on the marsh down here in LA. If you have never walked floating marsh, you really don't ever want to! One of the last deer I shot on the marsh was only 120-yds. away, but it took us over an hour to recover her. On the marsh, you have to anchor a deer to the shot - if they move, even a few yards, you are going to have a tough time to find the deer, much less recover it. At the time, I have been talking with one of the great legends, Elmer Keith, who understood the problem and advised on the 338-06. He was right on the mark as no deer has ever walked away from a shot with this caliber! I have friends who have used their 338-06 on everything from crows to grizzlies and have been more than satisfied with the results!

Take care...

Reggie

frank505
02-15-2010, 05:00 PM
I would like to watch a crow get smacked with a 338/06, it sure could make me smile!!!!! I built mine out of respect for Elmer Keith, the shell maple stock came from Col. Floyd Smith USAF ret. It is ridicously accurate and kicks about like a Springfield, but it sure hits hard with Hornady 250 RN at 2450. Have been playing with an NEI 300 grain round nose bullet mold, good accuracy at 1800 fps, but I want more speed. Just takes some work.

caillouetr9981
02-16-2010, 02:45 AM
If you think you would smile at a crow getting smacked with a 338-06, you ought to see what the 416 Taylor will do to them! I had a smartalek crow playing peekaboo with me at about 120yds. He was on a tree branch that was almost pointing straight away from me and he was sort of hiding behind the trunk of the tree. No problem - I put a round through the center of the tree trunk (about 10-inches thick) and splattered the crow!

frank505
02-16-2010, 06:38 PM
I gotta try that! Been looking for a porky pine this winter, no luck so far. Rockchucks are lots of fun in the summer too.
If you are shooting your rifle or sixgun all year at all kinds of stuff, come hunting season the shots are easier for you.(this is hint for all) Thanks to the caillouetr9981.

Hardcast416taylor
02-16-2010, 07:19 PM
Reggie. I chased a fat racoon across a combined off wheat field with my taylor a few years back, pre-cancer. He has to have been 200+ yds. out mid-field when I threw the first RCBS 350 gr. at him. I hit in front of him and he took off. At each shot he would add a few mph as the shots struck closer to him. I never realised racoon could approach light speed on wheat stubble? My last shot was underneath him and vaulted him into the fence row. I didn`t hit him, but there were large piles of coon dung all across the field!:kidding:Robert

frank505
02-17-2010, 06:49 PM
we snuck up on a coon by a tank in the Hill country, Big Daddy shot him with the 505 Gibbs. There was "stuff" all over and very dead coon.

caillouetr9981
02-21-2010, 06:37 PM
My oldest son just got back from the range after trying out some of the RCBS 350gr. cast loads.

With 47gr. of AA-2015, he was getting a consistent 1795fps. and was also getting really great groups - clover-leafing!

He shot through some waterfilled Tide bottles (3 in a row) and was impressed with the destruction. It's difficult to fully trap one of these bullets effectively, but it seems that we are getting enough velocity and bullet performance to have a great Whitetail load.

Also, my son reports that this load is very comfortable to shoot. He was able to fire about 50 rounds today. While you could do this with the full-house jacketed bullet loads, you would have a very tender shoulder for a couple of days.

Now, my son's biggest concern (like most of us, unfortunately) is to find a safe area to hunt where there is a reasonable chance of running into a Whitetail or two. This is difficult for him in KY.

lilmunch
06-04-2010, 03:20 PM
Dad, you are right!

Those 2015 and Trail boss loads are a blast to shoot! To give everyone an idea ... my 11 year old daughter (caillouet9981's grand daughter) got a chance to shoot "my" 416 recently with Trail Boss loads! She is a whopping 4' tall and weighs about 90 lbs if she has just gotten out of the pool with a really wet towel around her neck!

Upon her first shot, she turned to me and yelled "I LIKE IT!!!!!!!" with this HUGE smile on her face!!! I do not know how many on here have had the priviledge of shooting at Knob Creek Rifle Range, but it is NOISY!!!! Knob Creek is a very unique range in that if you can get what you want to shoot to the firing line (either by man, car, or horse power) you can shoot it! I have shot next to many 50 BMG's. It is also home of one of the nations only Full Auto Machine Gun Shoot / Competitions. So having a little 11 year old girl scream those words loud enough to stop EVERYTHING on the range was an experience!
And if that was not enough, she then proceeded to shoot EVERY bottle / can we had out on the range to pieces! Matter of fact, she started getting cocky after she ran out of cans, and she placed and started shooting empty shot gun shells at 100 yards with this rifle!!! Man I love having a great rifle, but am afraid she might have just stolen it from me!

As for the recoil on the aa2015 loads, I would say that it is equal to a good 308 load. Accuracy is VERY good. I have not measured any with my calipers as yet, but having 3 round groups touching one another at 100 yards is good enough for me.

My only problem now, is keeping up with my daughter's shooting. I need to spend a bunch of time at the loading bench for that! And since I don't mold, caillouet9981 has his hands full as well molding boolits to keep his grand daughter in business!!!! By the way Dad, she is getting a little low and wants you to know it!!! [smilie=l:

Reg

Hardcast416taylor
06-05-2010, 03:29 PM
Lilmunch. That is about the same reaction I yelled...right after I said "OUCH" to firing a 400 gr. soft point "J" bullet. Your Pa and I see eye to eye on this caliber.Robert

navymrchief
08-16-2010, 10:28 PM
Hi! New to the forum and I am working up my .416 Taylor that I recently bulit on a Savage with a 24", 1-in-14 twist rate, Shilen Barrel. I am grateful to find the load data in this thread. Some of them I have already tried, having gotten some starting points from Ken Waters information. I tried to pick some powders that I have on hand with burn rates that are close to the ones listed. AA 2015 is one of the only Accurate Arms powders that I didn't have on the shelf. However, at my trip to the range today, I found that my 47.0 gr. load of H-4198 gave me reasonable, 100 Yd. accuracy (about 1.5" - 3-shot group) but it chronographs at 2090 FPS.
I have been able to get the best 350 gr. JSP Speer bullet accuracy with 69.5 grs. of H-4895 and 65.0 grs. of H-4895. I haven't checked the velocity on the 69.5 gr. load but on an earlier range session I clocked the 65.0 gr, load at 2140 fps. (with better accuracy than the 69.5 gr. load). The 400 gr. Hornady gives me the best accuracy with 68.0 gr, of Ramshot Big game and the Dangerous Game Expanding gives me slightly better accuracy than the normal 400 gr, softpoint. The Ramshot powder is one of the only powders that gives me plenty of room to seat the longer base-to-crimp groove length on the Dangerous Game Exp 400 grainer deep enough to get the crimp on a maximum load for that bullet. I'm still working on more loads though, and IMR 4320 seems to have some promise with the 400 grain Hornadys, but dosesn't do as well with the 350 gr. Speer. I am keen on getting an accurate, 1800 - 2000 fps load with my 350 gr. cast w/GC bullets and this thread has me well onto the right track. Thanks! John

Hardcast416taylor
08-17-2010, 12:30 AM
Welcome Navymrchief to the Boolets site and especially welcome to the madness of the world of the .416 Taylor. You will find the addiction of this cartridge to be the more you shoot it the more you will want to try new loads in it. I`ve always wondered why there was never a commercial rifle, excepting A-Square, made for this fine round. I am working with a mold maker that will shortly have a 400 gr. mold available to the public. Talk about an interesting hunk of lead stuck in a brass tube! I also am almost the proud owner of a 400 gr. paper patch custom mold, being cut as we speak. Enjoy the insanity! "Pull down your pants and slide on the ice"!Robert