PDA

View Full Version : Knife ID

Sprue
01-11-2010, 02:21 PM
I was going thru my small collection of knives and got to wondering about IDing this one.

I did a Google Search but nothing...

The old knife in question is an OLD Kissing Crane Canoe.

Closed length: 3 inches
Stamped: Robi Klass Solengen : 2928XV

Its in really good shape with strong springs. I bought this thing about 1990 at a flea mrkt when I lived near Geotwn, Ky for 8 bucks. It being an old knife in good shape I never did want to carry it. I did let my Dad have it until his passing.

I always carry a small pocket knife but the good ones stay locked up.

Anyway, does anyone have any idea where I can date this thing ?

http://i258.photobucket.com/albums/hh266/spilihp_2007/KissingCrane.jpg

scrapcan
01-11-2010, 02:49 PM
Sprue,

I think that company is still in business. Been making knives for a century plus if the memory serves me. You might check to see if you can track them down. I inherited a sheath nice made by them and it did well by its previous owner.

Sprue
01-11-2010, 04:37 PM
I just can't find any info, I know that they have been making them for years but still no info. Course the ones made today come from you know where...

This particular knife though has some age to it no doubt and is made of carbon in which is a plus IMO. Again I have no idea of its age but its vintage.

Huh, I see that you can buy these new for $11 bucks. I value this one much much higher.

Firebricker
01-11-2010, 05:23 PM
You may be able to buy some new copy for $11 but you won,t get anything like that. The older Solengen steel is good stuff IMO. BTW I agree carbon is a plus. FB

Hardcast416taylor
01-11-2010, 05:23 PM
If I recall correctly, Frost Cultery carries this brand and possibly could supply a contact number for you.Robert

jcwit
01-11-2010, 05:46 PM
Do a google for Kissing Crane knifes. All kinds of info. Its my understanding they might be in the process of bringing back the mfg. to Germany.

JSnover
01-11-2010, 05:54 PM
Hard to guess the value. I don't know if it's worth a lot because it shows a good amount of honest wear. But it hasn't been damaged or neglected, so..... maybe. Collectors are funny. Even if the market value isn't much, that just means you'll be able to put it back in service. The previous owner would probably appreciate that.

montana_charlie
01-11-2010, 07:55 PM
If you sign up for a free trial, you can find out what this knife sold for.
http://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/kissing-crane-knives-yellow-canoe-knife-w-8

Comparing it with other canoes I've seen, your second blade has sure been worn away over the years.

Here is a discussion that may have useful information...
http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showthread.php?p=6334267

CM

Sprue
01-11-2010, 07:56 PM
Do a google for Kissing Crane knifes. All kinds of info. Its my understanding they might be in the process of bringing back the mfg. to Germany.

Nowhere have I seen a site that offers any resources to date this knife that I've found. Where you looking? I haven't found anything other than how long the co has been is business.

As for what its value is/was is not relevant. I'm just trying to find out how old it is. And no, I won't be carrying it. I just enjoy getting it out of the box every now and then. Its not my nature to sell one of my knives or other toys. I have hard enough time sleeping the way it is. Dad never carried it either after I gave it to him. Chip off the ole block maybe? :)

Sprue
01-11-2010, 08:55 PM
Well my search is over... I've gone full circle, have now surfed the entire Internet. Yep I've experienced the end.

I just put the following search criteria in : kissing crane manufacture date

Low and behold, it lists this very thread, NO Joke ! [smilie=w:

No sighting of Al either...............

Guess I'm done.

jcwit
01-11-2010, 09:06 PM
Nowhere have I seen a site that offers any resources to date this knife that I've found. Where you looking? I haven't found anything other than how long the co has been is business.

As for what its value is/was is not relevant. I'm just trying to find out how old it is. And no, I won't be carrying it. I just enjoy getting it out of the box every now and then. Its not my nature to sell one of my knives or other toys. I have hard enough time sleeping the way it is. Dad never carried it either after I gave it to him. Chip off the ole block maybe? :)

Well golly, sorry I tried to help. Missed the fact that the only thing you wanted to know was its age.:violin:

JSnover
01-12-2010, 12:40 PM
Well my search is over... I've gone full circle, have now surfed the entire Internet. Yep I've experienced the end.

I just put the following search criteria in : kissing crane manufacture date

Low and behold, it lists this very thread, NO Joke ! [smilie=w:

No sighting of Al either...............

Guess I'm done.

If you can't find it on the web, go Old School. Go down to Borders or Barnes & Noble and look in the Collectibles section. They usually have a couple of pretty decent references for guns, knives, watches, etc.