PDA

View Full Version : 50 cal TC Omega

Possumjo
01-11-2010, 12:23 PM
Was wondering if anyone here has tried a conical bullet with this rifle, I got one of these rifle's and thought the sabot's was the way to go, in a nutshell I hate them, don't get me wrong they shoot fine, I would just rather roll my own bullets, the R.E.A.L. bullet shoot's great out of my other three 50 calibers rifle but the Omega does not like it as well with it's 1n28 twist barrel, was wondering if anyone would recommend a bullet mold to me that might work, I did slug the bore and its just a hair over .504.

later Joe

Mike A
01-13-2010, 05:04 PM
I've been using a 350 gr. Hornady FPB ahead of 100 grs. of Blackhorn 209, and I like it.

Maven
01-13-2010, 07:33 PM
Joe, Have you considered a T/C or Lyman .50cal. Maxi-Ball mold + a cardstock overpowder wad?

Willbird
01-14-2010, 12:49 AM
I tried some 350 Hornady FPB ahead of 120 grains (bulk equiv) of BH209 and it was not accurate at all, 8" or so groups at 75 yards, and it shot about 8" low and 8" to the left of where any other bullet I have ever tried landed.

120 grains was good for 1900 fps just like the BH209 data says.

I just ordered a LEE 476-400-RF mold to bore out to make a paper patch mold, I am going to leave the original nose untouched, and bore the mold to drop a bullet .490 or so, which wrapped with paper will measure .501

Another poster here has reported good results paper patching the C501-440-RF bullet,

My rifle does not like the lightweight REAL bullet.....3" to 4" groups at 75 yards.

Possumjo
01-14-2010, 01:33 PM
Thanks for the info guys, buddy gave me a old maxi-ball mold that he had that did not see much use, so I'll start with that maybe this weekend, I may just sell the gun or trade it off, only reason I got it was because eyes are getting bad, and cant see the back sight very good on my side locks, scope is a grate asset but cant stand the thought of putting one on my hawkens or Rene, If I do keep the gun I may have to have the QLA removed from barrel, seems some folks have had trouble with that on some of the TC guns but I'll trya few types of bullets before I do that.

Willbird let me know how the Lee mold and paper patching turns out, sounds very interesting.
I do have anothe ? what does FPB stand for.

thanks for all the help guys.

Pjoe

Willbird
01-14-2010, 01:44 PM
Hornady says the acronym means "flex tip projectile"

You can also drop Thor bullets an email and he will send you a sample pack of sizes of his bullets.
http://www.thorbullets.com/

There is a pretty good thread either in the ML forum here or the Paper patch forum writtin by the guy using the Lee 500 pistol bullet paper patched, his groups were sub 2". I have that mold, but do not like the idea of sizing the bullet down .015.

Also are you sure on your slugging ?? My gun is about .515 groove dia....I was thinking last night that .504 is darn small.

I have debated on the QLA...but if I cut it off then there goes my warranty really, and the only guy I have heard say it is an issue is the guy that makes and sells dead center bullets. I may set my barrel up in the lathe and CHECK the concentricity of the QLA someday. But the gun acts like it wants to shoot sub 1" at 75 yards so the QLA cannot be TOO bad eh ?

I have debated building a BR type stock to drop my action into to test some stuff....the plastic stock may not be the best situation overall...we sure would not put a lot of faith in it on a CL rifle anyway. It is sort of pillar bedded the way TC made it...but there is a lot of recoil going into that stock while the bullet is still in the barrel.

Bill

Willbird
01-15-2010, 12:35 PM
I just stumbled over the .530 ball I drove into my Omega muzzle to slug the bore. I was thinking I mis spoke, and for sure I did.

My QLA measures .515. The bore is .5105 groove and .501 or so land dia.

Bill

Possumjo
01-15-2010, 04:42 PM
Willbird
I looked at it again and found it to be .501 for the land and almost .509 for the groove, I may try a R.E.A.L.in 54 cal and see if I can get a better reading that way, I'll have to find the mold for it first, not sure if I'll even be able to start it down the barrel tho.
But just looking at the round ball I would say we are close to same bore size, going to try and find that thread about the Lee 500 pistol bullet and see if that may be the way to go for me, if I can get it to group inside 4" at a hundred yards I'll be happy, and if its bullet I made myself that will be a real plus for me also, those sabot are so hard to load that I think I'm going to blow a gasket and to that reason I just do not enjoy shootining this rifle.

Pjoe

Willbird
01-16-2010, 12:38 AM
Oh I'm quite sure you will be able to get inside 4" at 100 yards. The short/light REAL will do that in my rifle even cast out of WW metal over top of 50 grains of goex fffg.

there are some sabots made to be easier loading too, but I want a lower cost solution for just going out shooting. The cheapest I have heard is the harvester crush rib sabots for about a nickel each.

One thing I figured out (then reminded myself again) with my rifle is to NOT pop a 209 before loading the gun the first time......the carbon from a 209 in a clean bore makes it a bear to load.

The hornady FPB's load fairly easy, but they cost a buck EACH...and don't shoot well with hunting loads in my rifle.

I have tried a few .452 cast pistol bullets in the harvester crush rib sabots and my gun seems to like to shoot patterns not groups with them for some reason.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=71134

That is part one of the thread I mentioned.............
Bill