PDA

View Full Version : .36 squirrel rifles. anyone ?

buckweet
01-11-2010, 04:10 AM
ahhh....

following the ''tracking'' numbers... my buggy rifle in .36 ... is now in lenexa kansas.

do any one of you fine folks care to share what you know about .36 caliber squirrel rifles ?

just how accurate can they be ?

hunting storys ? pictures ?

load data ?

p.s.

mine should be here tomorrow [smilie=w:

rhbrink
01-11-2010, 06:53 AM
The very first muzzleloader that I made was a 36. Had only briefly looked at a muzzleloader as a youngun 8 - 10 years old, decided I needed to build one I was in high school at the time (long time ago) so bought a book from Dixie and parts and went at it. It was kindof ruff but boy did it shoot, totally suprised me and everybody else that knew about. Going by memory about 1" groups at 50 yds, great accurcy to maybe 75 yds, 100 kind of iffy especially if the wind was blowing. Killed all kinds of game with it up to ground hogs, always surprised me how well it would kill a ground hog knowing that they are tuff and don't give up easy. Another surprise was what it would do to a squirrel, quickly learned that I had to drop down on powder to about 20 grains to keep from totaly destroying the tree rat. My normal long range load was 60 grains, never was bashfull about using large amounts of powder in anything, much to my peers discression (or whatever never did pay much attention to them anyway) Anyway bet you will have a blast with this one if it's what it think it is you'll probably need some .350 balls I may have some that I could send you if needed, I'll have to look to make sure haven't shot a .36 in a few years.

elk hunter
01-11-2010, 10:20 AM
Buckweet;

Haven't seen a buggy rifle in years. Never owned one but there were lots of them around and all I remember shot well. My squirrel gun is a Bedford style 30 caliber that uses a #1 buck with a linen patch ahead of a 38 special case full of fffg. It will hit a squirrel head as far away as I can see one. Of course I can't see them as far away as I did when I built the rifle in the early 70's. I predict you'll like your 36.

19112TAP
01-11-2010, 11:29 AM
I was able to pick up a Knight right .36 a few years back from a guy that worked for Knight in their R&D department so I don't know if they were a catalog item or not but reguardless I have shoot .36 cal TC maxi bullets & .350 patched balls with great results and have taken several tree rats using 30gr fffg with the maxi. Good luck with your rifle.

buckweet
01-11-2010, 12:45 PM
thanks guys, this looks like its going to be a fun rifle, :)
so everyone is using fffg, and .350 balls.
rhbrink, thanks for the offer, i'll be in town today, we'll see if we can find any.
thanks
weet

buckweet
01-11-2010, 12:46 PM
ps, yes its a hopkins/allen .36 buggy rifle.

SPRINGFIELDM141972
01-11-2010, 01:36 PM
The .36 is a great round. I have a .32 and my father (johnlaw484) has a .36 cal Tennessee rifle. I don't believe there allot difference in the accuracy, but I believe his could be loaded a little heavier for larger critters, i.e. coyote sized game. You'll will love the powder savings.

Regards,
Everett

buckweet
01-11-2010, 04:40 PM
im athinkin so. i'll probly shoot the .36 the most.
i've got groundhawgs done in south pasture, but the yard dogs keeping em out of the yard, [most of the time]
ever see three ''little'' rat terriers ? take on a full grown groundhawg ? wow ! blood everywhere !!
so, i let em fight fror just a little bit if i can catch them fast enuff, then pump a .22 in the head. but now i'll use this .36
found a old can of fffg, in the back shop, still need a few patches and balls, calling town, see if steve has and balls, or ? the maxies.
i've got some # 11 caps......
still watching driveway.... BBT oh where oh ! where ! are you tonight !? why did you leave me here all alone, ? i searched the world over for a .36 caliber, ha

Hanshi
01-11-2010, 04:52 PM
The .36 rocks!....or something to that effect. My .36 is a flint Southern Mountain, very plain as were the originals. Unless you hunt deer, the .36 is what you'll have with you virtually all the time. Some states even allow the .36 to be used for deer. Certainly with the exception (maybe) of deer, it will take anything under that size with no problem. My favorite all around load is 30 grains 3f but I like 20 grains for bushytails & such. I've fired five shot groups as small as 3/4" at 50 yards with mine. I've never tried going up any higher than 30 grains. If I need more power I have a .40 I'll use. I predict you'll shoot it more than your other guns; I know I do.

buckweet
01-11-2010, 06:15 PM
ohhhh....nooooooooooooooooooooooo !!!!!!!!!

flintlock..flintlock..flintlock..flintlock..flintl ock..flintlock..flintlock..

any of you machinests on here ? wanna build me a flintlock for my .36 underhammer ..???

i'll pay low dollar.... :)

buckweet
01-11-2010, 06:31 PM
you know ? looking back in history....i can understand . alot of the old time guys carried small caliber rifles, 30-45 ?
and back then, the deer wasent as many as we have now, so with the price of ? powder and ball.... i can see why so many of the old old rifles where smaller caliber.
am i thinkin right ?

smoked turkey
01-11-2010, 08:24 PM
My experience is more limited than some, but I have a TC Firehawk in 32 cal. I greatly enjoy shootin the little round. A patched RB is deadly accurate and will take a squirrel's head clean off! I would like to have a 36..someday. I am trying not to covet 19112TAP's Knight 36. Sounds like a dandy.

mooman76
01-11-2010, 09:06 PM
Haven't got a 36 but have wanted one for a long time. Maybe because it's one of the few calibers I don't own. Like any other gun though, how it shoots would be deturmined by how well it is made and finding the best load for it. I have 2- 32's and like them but I found that the smaller the caliber the harder it is to load. Not a big deal but it seems t be a tighter fit with patch and all and fowls quicker because it is smaller. I do concider it a minor point, barely worth mentioning though and they are fun little guns to shoot.

buckweet
01-11-2010, 09:31 PM
, well im glad to hear your thoughts, pretty happy this one is a .36

im getting p.o.'ed with the big brown truck, tracking said, they left appelton city this morning at 7:19 , and would be delivered between 9:am and 7:pm.... they've had 11 hours.
maybe they got stuck ?

here it is, quarter to 8,

oh, well ... maybe tomorrow ? hopes so.

mooman76
01-11-2010, 10:20 PM
Might still get it. They are suppose to run their deliveries until all done. Might want to check out front. Sometimes they jut drop them off.

buckweet
01-11-2010, 11:25 PM
Might still get it. They are suppose to run their deliveries until all done. Might want to check out front. Sometimes they jut drop them off.

sitting on porch, wrapped in indian blankett, smokin peace pipe.

:bigsmyl2:

Hanshi
01-12-2010, 12:55 AM
sitting on porch, wrapped in indian blankett, smokin peace pipe.

:bigsmyl2:

I know how you feel! Hard to sit still & wait. I have a Traditions Crockett .32. It is a fine little squirrel, small game, target and roaming rifle. A guy on another forum kills wild hogs with his .32 Crockett. .36 is similar but but capable of more. Some folks do their deer hunting with a .36! Those little 46 grain .32s are real fumbly.

Hanshi
01-12-2010, 01:01 AM
http://i599.photobucket.com/albums/tt74/hanshi_photo/PICT0377.jpg

This is my little .36 SM. Small & light, it feels like a kid's .22LR.

357maximum
01-12-2010, 09:29 AM
Hanshi ....how has that traditions rocklock treated you? I have dearly wanted a flinter for awhile but am too cheap to buy a good one and have been led to believe the cheaper ones ain't worth a thimble of spit.

AND I WANNA KNOW FROM SOMEONE WHO ACTUALLY HAS ONE WHAT HE THINKS...thanks

Michael

wilddog45
01-12-2010, 10:06 AM
I have an old hatfield .36 percussion that I like real well. It is accurate but fouls quicker than a larger bore.

twotoescharlie
01-12-2010, 11:33 AM
gotta little Mowry 36 cal. pretty as a new puppy. also have an old H&A 36 had it for a long while.

TTC

KCSO
01-12-2010, 12:11 PM
Those Dam'n buggy rifles... We got a fellow in the club who shoots one and beats the snot out of everybody with it. He bought it in the 60's as a kit for like $40 and it sure shoots. it is SO sad to get beat with that old *** and you are shooting a new custom rifle costing $1000.

If I remeber right he shoots 22 grains of FFFg and a patched r/b and is always in the winners circle at 25 and 50 and had even placed at 100.

357maximum
01-12-2010, 12:18 PM
gotta little Mowry 36 cal. pretty as a new puppy. also have an old H&A 36 had it for a long while.

TTC

AND I GET ACCUSED OF TORMENTING PEOPLE[smilie=l:

TTC

Could you do me a favor and post a pic of that Mowrey with the sideplate removed so as I can see her innards? It would be much greatly appreciated.

thanks, Michael

buckweet
01-12-2010, 12:25 PM
AND I GET ACCUSED OF TORMENTING PEOPLE[smilie=l:

TTC

Could you do me a favor and post a pic of that Mowrey with the sideplate removed so as I can see her innards? It would be much greatly appreciated.

thanks, Michael

ha. you do. ALL THE TIME !!

yes, i'ed like to see the innards too.
my buggy, should also be as pretty as a speckled pup, under a feed wagon.
:smile:

6pt-sika
01-12-2010, 12:35 PM
My 36 cal squirrel rifle is and "original" A.B.Smith 36 cal percussion !

http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f316/6pt-sika/DSCN0559.jpg

http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f316/6pt-sika/DSCN0560.jpg

http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f316/6pt-sika/DSCN0558.jpg

http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f316/6pt-sika/DSCN0556.jpg

http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f316/6pt-sika/DSCN0561.jpg

http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f316/6pt-sika/DSCN0557.jpg

buckweet
01-12-2010, 04:00 PM
6POINT !!!

WOW !! that is awsome !!!

now that is one beutifull stick ya got there !!!

i mean, that is just one very very nice rifle , yep, im green. you as bad as .357max.

if you ever wanna trade ? ha.

Hanshi
01-12-2010, 04:28 PM
Hanshi ....how has that traditions rocklock treated you? I have dearly wanted a flinter for awhile but am too cheap to buy a good one and have been led to believe the cheaper ones ain't worth a thimble of spit.

AND I WANNA KNOW FROM SOMEONE WHO ACTUALLY HAS ONE WHAT HE THINKS...thanks

Michael

My Crockett is a caplock so I can't give a first hand impression. I do have a flint rifle from another (fairly respected) Italian maker. I was very disappointed with the lock. While I did take deer with it, it was an "indifferent" sparker. I'd get a few firings from a flint and that's all. Sometimes it wouldn't even fire the first time; almost cost me a deer but did fire the second snap.

Granted I was not using the best flints and it does better now that I have better quality flints. Still, it is not a "50 shots to a flint" lock. While the rifle itself is a fine production rifle, the weak link is the mediocre lock. It's usable but can't compare with, say, a small Siler. It is very picky concerning flints.

My general impression is that ANY foreign flint lock (some USA factory locks) are a **** shoot! Buy two identical locks and one may work fine and the other not at all. If I ever buy another Spanish/Italian/other flint lock (and I won't) I'd make sure first that I either had someone lined up to tune it or an American made replacement.

By the way, I've had great luck with Traditions/Pedersoli/Euroarms, etc. percussion locks; even the very cheap ones. My Crockett is a delight.

Hanshi
01-12-2010, 04:40 PM
Oh, and 6pt Sika, that is a very fine rifle you got there. Considering it is original it's basically pristine.

357Maximum, let me add that you get what you pay for (usually) and a cheap flint lock (not the whole shebang, just the lock) is NO bargain! Flintlocks rule! A custom one can be had for just a little more than an Italian import.

Also, if you come up on a screaming good deal on an Italian/Spanish flintlock, it may be worth buying regardless.

runnin lead
01-12-2010, 05:04 PM
Wabbit Wiffle,the squirrels here once you get out of town are nasty little pine squirrels, trust me you dont want to eat them
I have a . 32 caplock that is built on a Ohio stock & I have a . 36 Rice on order to build a flintlock on a Vincent stock, reason that I am building a .36 , I already have a .32

357maximum
01-12-2010, 05:30 PM
I am amazed at the quantity and quality of the squirrel rifles being posted in this thread....I honestly had no idea that many were around. You hardly never see such a thing here where I am at. The only ones I have ever personally handled were within my family or at a gunshow....wow thems some pretty treerat gitrz. I even had a great uncle that considered the 36 a do-it-all caliber. He shot and killed everything available here with it.

Hanshi thanks for the lowdown.....I was kinda hopin you would tell me a different story but got the story I was expecting. :violin: I had my brain in crooked I guess as I thought you had a flintercrockett.:veryconfu

BTW we have tons of squirrels here. Fox, grey, black, and them little red squirrels too. My treeing mtn currs help me and the clan caim about 100 or so in a normal season. We cheat and use .22LR though.

As far as eating I prefer them young of the year fox squirrels. My currs are not picky about which one they tree up however. Floured and browned in a pan and then baked with a little chicken stock. mmmm mmmm good.

01-12-2010, 05:57 PM
6pt.... my weakness is old original guns and related junk. Gets me in trouble everytime I see it. Very fine looking rifle! Quit posting pics of those things!:cry:

jhrosier
01-12-2010, 08:56 PM
Don't overlook the TC Seneca in .36 caliber.
I had one and shot it regular for many years.
It was a one hole shooter at 25 yards, cute as a new puppy too.
After many thousands of shots the barrel started showing wear and it was traded off.
The fellow who got it took it to TC and they rebarrreled it for free.
It will still outshoot a lot of ca'trige guns.

BTW, it was the only front loader that I ever owned that prefered Pyrodex over real BP.

Jack

buckweet
01-12-2010, 09:07 PM
Don't overlook the TC Seneca in .36 caliber.
I had one and shot it regular for many years.
It was a one hole shooter at 25 yards, cute as a new puppy too.
After many thousands of shots the barrel started showing wear and it was traded off.
The fellow who got it took it to TC and they rebarrreled it for free.
It will still outshoot a lot of ca'trige guns.

BTW, it was the only front loader that I ever owned that prefered Pyrodex over real BP.

Jack

BTW, it was the only front loader that i ever owned that prefered pyodex over real BP.

THATS the firse time i've ever heard that.

jhrosier
01-12-2010, 09:41 PM
BTW, it was the only front loader that i ever owned that prefered pyodex over real BP.

THATS the firse time i've ever heard that.

Yep! Can't argue with what works though.
I loaded 50gr by volume of pistol grade Pyrodex under a swaged round ball wrapped with a patch cut from 1/4 of a US miltary 30 caliber cleaning patch, greased with the old TC maxilube.

I never chronographed it but if it was goin less then 2000 fps I would be surprised. The balls would swage up to completely fill the rifling and if shot through a card target would leave a perfect impression of the rifling in the card.

I regularly shot empty 12 ga hulls at 25 yards offhand. It was almost boring. I was also a lot steadier handed in those days.:smile:

The sights were the TC "buckhorn" style front and vernier tang on the rear.

I kind of fell away from muzzleloaders and sold it to a pal for his daughter. Now I often wish that I hadn't let it get away.[smilie=b:

I've been thinking a lot about an Enfield musketoon lately......

Jack

6pt-sika
01-12-2010, 11:07 PM
6pt.... my weakness is old original guns and related junk. Gets me in trouble everytime I see it. Very fine looking rifle! Quit posting pics of those things!:cry:

We've owned that rifle about 30-35 years !

And it either hung under the mantle piece in the living room or was in the safe until his past spring and summer when I took it out and started shooting it !

Pulled the drum out , removed the nipple and cleaned all that stuff as well as cleaning the heck out of the barrel !

Started shooting it with patched roundballs and Goex 3FG !

Thing still shoots like a champ after being on the face of the earth for somewhere in the neighborhood of 165-175 years !

6pt-sika
01-12-2010, 11:09 PM
I had thoughts of getting a nice Contemporary Flintlock in 36 or 40 cal . But my abilities at the moment with that old rifle far exceed my abilities with ANY of my flinters :veryconfu

jimb16
01-12-2010, 11:11 PM
Hmmmmm, Mine is an original Haskell Rifle built in Painesville, Ohio in the 1850s. All parts are marked with the same number. It has an original Reminton barrel on it! The odd thing is that it has hexagonal rifling! It isn't cut rifling. I've never seen that before. Anyone else seen hex rifling in a .36 Remington barrel?

Idaho Sharpshooter
01-12-2010, 11:56 PM
I was thaaaaaaaaaaat close! I ordered an Early Lancaster from TVM, with the usual upgrades. Living in Idaho I finally bumped it to a .40 since we don't have any huntable populations of tree squirrels. Been here since summer of 1978 from the St Louis and aside from the Cardinals baseball about all I miss are tree squirrels and those amazing little bass ponds on every small farm in Illinois/Missouri.
I will likely find room in the shop for a Sourthern Mtn Rifle in .32 or .36 late this year.

Fine rifles, and a great eastern caliber.

Rich

6pt-sika
01-13-2010, 12:08 AM
Almost forgot I have an orginal signed 42 cal barrel that was built with some other parts back in the 40's or 50's I think !

Haven't fired or messed with this one yet !

Barrel is signed by something "Martin" can't remmeber the first name or middle initial .

Anyway this one just might make a nice target/squirrel rifle :bigsmyl2:

buckweet
01-13-2010, 12:14 AM
Yep! Can't argue with what works though.
I loaded 50gr by volume of pistol grade Pyrodex under a swaged round ball wrapped with a patch cut from 1/4 of a US miltary 30 caliber cleaning patch, greased with the old TC maxilube.

I never chronographed it but if it was goin less then 2000 fps I would be surprised. The balls would swage up to completely fill the rifling and if shot through a card target would leave a perfect impression of the rifling in the card.

I regularly shot empty 12 ga hulls at 25 yards offhand. It was almost boring. I was also a lot steadier handed in those days.:smile:

The sights were the TC "buckhorn" style front and vernier tang on the rear.

I kind of fell away from muzzleloaders and sold it to a pal for his daughter. Now I often wish that I hadn't let it get away.[smilie=b:

I've been thinking a lot about an Enfield musketoon lately......

Jack

musketoon .....sounds good to me [smilie=s:

buckweet
01-13-2010, 12:17 AM
I was thaaaaaaaaaaat close! I ordered an Early Lancaster from TVM, with the usual upgrades. Living in Idaho I finally bumped it to a .40 since we don't have any huntable populations of tree squirrels. Been here since summer of 1978 from the St Louis and aside from the Cardinals baseball about all I miss are tree squirrels and those amazing little bass ponds on every small farm in Illinois/Missouri.
I will likely find room in the shop for a Sourthern Mtn Rifle in .32 or .36 late this year.

Fine rifles, and a great eastern caliber.

Rich

ummm ? where did you go2 skool ? st.louis is in illinois. :)

waksupi
01-13-2010, 02:05 AM
Almost forgot I have an orginal signed 42 cal barrel that was built with some other parts back in the 40's or 50's I think !

Haven't fired or messed with this one yet !

Barrel is signed by something "Martin" can't remmeber the first name or middle initial .

Anyway this one just might make a nice target/squirrel rifle :bigsmyl2:

That is most likely a Hacker Martin barrel.

6pt-sika
01-13-2010, 09:40 AM

Nope not Hacker !

buckweet
01-15-2010, 01:28 PM
anyone use a .45 ? for a squirrel rifle ?

just what ? is a .45 really good for ?

not knocking the .45 ... just seems to me it falls into the ''im gonna grow up and be a deer rifle'', and i'm to big to play with the little guy's...

or am i ?

Odinbreaker
01-15-2010, 03:18 PM
I got some 36/32 cal sabot and shoot 60 gr FMJ make a good squirrel load accurate to 25yds usually sight in at 50 ft for tree shooting.

Hanshi
01-15-2010, 04:43 PM
anyone use a .45 ? for a squirrel rifle ?

just what ? is a .45 really good for ?

not knocking the .45 ... just seems to me it falls into the ''im gonna grow up and be a deer rifle'', and i'm to big to play with the little guy's...

or am i ?

Read my other post. More specifically, yes, the .45 will kill a squirrel. Used it for that purpose, myself. Don't sell it short, it's the 30/30 of round ball fun.

6pt-sika
01-15-2010, 05:37 PM

http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f316/6pt-sika/MartinRifle005.jpg

There's whats on the barrel flats !

Near as I could find there was a guy in Lancaster PA with those initials back in the day that built rifles !

6pt-sika
01-15-2010, 05:38 PM
I to be take S.M. Martin to be Samual M. Martin !

Marvin S
01-15-2010, 05:48 PM
Here is some of my squirrel guns. The top one is a 62cal smooth bore thats great when there are leaves on the trees.The next is a 40cal Issac Haines rice swamped bbl. These are both left hand. The next is a right hand 36 TVM that I have been trying to sell for some time now. The last is kind of an odd left hand stock with a right hand lock in 45cal tapered bbl that will shoot the balls off a chigger.

Bret4207
01-15-2010, 06:07 PM
Whoa! Sweet Marv, you lucky dog. I'm a little late finding this thread. I have a little 32 percussion boys rifle. It's a bit small for me to shoot, but I get by. I'm sure it's some mid- 70's kit gun but it's kinda cute and will clover leaf 3 shots at 50 yards all day long. 5 generally stay under an inch, but as someone else said, my eyes aren't what they used to be. I've taken a number of porkys, snappers, squirrels etc with it. In my opinion it hit about like a 22 mag, maybe just a little harder, out to 65 -70 yards or so. After that it seems to peter out.

I'd love to have a full size long rifle like those in Marvs pictures. Beautiful. Of course having grown up with John Ambers articles on old "buggy rifles" I could go for a light under hammer too.

Too many desires, not enough time or money.

buckweet
01-16-2010, 01:18 AM
Whoa! Sweet Marv, you lucky dog. I'm a little late finding this thread. I have a little 32 percussion boys rifle. It's a bit small for me to shoot, but I get by. I'm sure it's some mid- 70's kit gun but it's kinda cute and will clover leaf 3 shots at 50 yards all day long. 5 generally stay under an inch, but as someone else said, my eyes aren't what they used to be. I've taken a number of porkys, snappers, squirrels etc with it. In my opinion it hit about like a 22 mag, maybe just a little harder, out to 65 -70 yards or so. After that it seems to peter out.

I'd love to have a full size long rifle like those in Marvs pictures. Beautiful. Of course having grown up with John Ambers articles on old "buggy rifles" I could go for a light under hammer too.

Too many desires, not enough time or money.

john ambers ?

i love my little buggy, its sweet. [.36]

buckweet
01-16-2010, 01:21 AM
Here is some of my squirrel guns. The top one is a 62cal smooth bore thats great when there are leaves on the trees.The next is a 40cal Issac Haines rice swamped bbl. These are both left hand. The next is a right hand 36 TVM that I have been trying to sell for some time now. The last is kind of an odd left hand stock with a right hand lock in 45cal tapered bbl that will shoot the balls off a chigger.

wow, very nice.

.45 caliber, shooting the ball's of a chigger...... now that's sum great shootin !:grin:

rhbrink
01-16-2010, 06:55 AM
wow, very nice.

.45 caliber, shooting the ball's of a chigger...... now that's sum great shootin !:grin:

I use to think my favorite offhand rifle shot pretty good but dang, my have tune up ole tick-licker up a bit more.

Bret4207
01-16-2010, 09:38 AM
john ambers ?

i love my little buggy, its sweet. [.36]

John Amber was a big time collector/writer and edited Gun Digest (the annual book, not the newspaper) back in the 60's- 70's. He would show off his collection of odd and rare old guns. He had Billinghurst buggys, etc. Beautiful stuff. He worked in the big sporting goods stores like Abercrombie and Fitch in NYC ( yeah, they used to sell guns and fishing gear!) back in the 40's era and managed to glom onto some incredible stuff.

Marvin S
01-16-2010, 03:03 PM
Ya gota have a good spottin scope as em chiggers er small.

Hanshi
01-16-2010, 05:24 PM
That TVM has some gorgeous wood! A fine collection.

Marvin S
01-16-2010, 07:23 PM
Thanks, I did not put the other large bore guns in since we where talkin squirrel blasters.

shdwlkr
01-16-2010, 08:53 PM
Well I have 2 each of the tc cherokee and seneca rifles and love them both very much they are both shooters.
My one seneca has a scope on it and I have shot it out to 200 yards just to see if I could and it hit right where I aimed.
I have a few of those TC sidelocks and always looking for more.

buckweet
01-17-2010, 02:13 AM
i use to think my favorite offhand rifle shot pretty good but dang, my have tune up ole tick-licker up a bit more.

roflmao !!!!! Brraaaahhhhhh !!!!

buckweet
01-23-2010, 03:21 AM
http://i599.photobucket.com/albums/tt74/hanshi_photo/PICT0377.jpg

This is my little .36 SM. Small & light, it feels like a kid's .22LR.

i like that ALOT .

awsome looking weapon you haves there sir !

Three-Fifty-Seven
02-01-2010, 11:24 PM
ummm ? where did you go2 skool ? st.louis is in illinois. :)

Uh, um, well St. Louis is WEST of the "River" . . . now EAST St. Loius is in IL.

Time to go for a ride, or take out the old map . . .

shooting on a shoestring
02-05-2010, 10:53 PM
Well this thread is making me homesick. My .32 Perdersoli is a days drive from this motel room. Its sitting next to my possibles bag with a bone handled patch knife laced to the strap. Possibles bag has a flask of fffg, a charged inline capper with a couple of cap tins for spare, a handful of .315" balls, and a baby food jar full of patches soaking in moose milk. I really need to get her out for a dance around the shooting range.

Only game its killed was a skunk in my Uncles pasture north of Clovis, NM. Shot the skunk through both front shoulders at about 40 yds, barely far enough. Shot it while cruising around in a 1952 Willys flat head Jeep. Oh that was the good old days for sure!

docone31
02-05-2010, 10:57 PM
Was that Willys a Flat head, or F-head? I had a 1953 CJ3B and it was F head.
Tough son of a gun.

buckweet
02-07-2010, 02:07 AM
i love them ol' jeeps, we used to have an 86 wrangler

shooting on a shoestring
02-08-2010, 10:01 PM
1952 was the last year for flat heads in Jeeps. That was a great Jeep. Dad had a couple, but that one he and I partnered on it. Saved our pennies and bought it at a county auction. It had been bought by a county commissioner from gov't surplus and he got in trouble over it, the county wound up owning it. It had been a follow-me jeep on some air base I believe. It had the 24 volt electrical system, so when the county got it, they didn't run it b/c of the difficulty in jumping it off. We got it, converted it to 12 volts, alternator, totally re-wired the Jeep, installed a new gas tank, painted it gray with a couple of cases of Krylon 1611. It looked great. A real head turner.

Had lots of fun Jeeping around Clovis in my High School days. Cruised lots of country roads, ran all over my Uncles farm/ranch, every hill available around Ute Lake, and a couple of deer hunts in Southern NM around Weed, and down to about 40 miles south of Hope. I've had that Jeep in some places my Dad and the Game Warden would not want to know the details of.

My Sisters kids learned to drive sitting in my or my Dad's lap, twisting the steering wheel before they're feet reached the pedals.

After I grew up, moved off, times were tight and the Jeep wasn't getting used much, one of Dad's cousin-in-laws bought it, and now it resides happily on a farm north of Melrose, NM. That's probably where it will live out its years, and I expect it has a decade or two ahead of it yet.

I miss it. But really I guess I miss the good times, fun and family that were associated with it the most.