PDA

View Full Version : Best peep sight, Marlin 336

Captain*Kirk
01-11-2010, 12:54 AM
What peep sight do you guys recomment for a Marlin 336CS chambered in .35 Remington? Tang or receiver mounted? Brand? Which do you rate highest, and why?

Three44s
01-11-2010, 01:53 AM
I am all for reciever sights as opposed to tang.

If it's a rough and tumble job you have for your rifle but you don't need protective ears, I'd recommend you look at the Skinner sight.

I own a Williams on a 1894C and like it but it's not as stout as the Skinner. The protected ones are even tougher but it all depends on what you are willing to spend.

Three 44s

Bullshop Junior
01-11-2010, 01:57 AM
Receiver.
Lyman with the quick adjust.

primersp
01-11-2010, 12:15 PM
like tree 44s take a look at Skinner ,i have a lyman on an winch 94 ,but i prefer the skinner on my marlin

kingstrider
01-11-2010, 01:47 PM
I just got a Skinner for my 1894C and love it. I'm not ready to put them on the others yet but have given it some thought.

countglockula
01-11-2010, 08:51 PM
Kingstrider, which particular skinner do you have on your 1894C? Did you have to get a different front sight?

218bee
01-11-2010, 09:11 PM
I've had a Williams on my 336 35Rem for about 30yrs now and it works for me. I would go receiver over tang for sure unless your into long range target work. The receiver sight is much more solid and repeatable for a huntin gun IMO

stubshaft
01-11-2010, 09:42 PM
Ashley Ghost Sight.

Captain*Kirk
01-12-2010, 01:40 AM
I've had a Williams on my 336 35Rem for about 30yrs now and it works for me. I would go receiver over tang for sure unless your into long range target work. The receiver sight is much more solid and repeatable for a huntin gun IMO

Actually, this rifle is my little meatmaker, used in heavy brush and woods for often-quick shots, which the standard buckhorn is not known for excelling on. A nice receiver-mounted peep with, perhaps a Tru-Glo on the front would offer, in my opinion, the fastest target acquisition available. I am a left-eye dominant right handed shooter, so I shoot with my left eye closed, which makes target acquisition with a scope somewhat of a slow process. So, this sounds like the ticket.

jlchucker
01-12-2010, 09:06 AM
Receiver. The old-model Lyman made of steel if you can find one, or if you can't, the Williams Foolproof. My experience with the recent Lymans is that they come with some wobble built in. A call to Lyman resulted in them saying that this was acceptable. Not to me. I don't like my sights to move. I can provide my own wobbling in needed.

higgins
01-12-2010, 12:06 PM
Another vote for a receiver sight. I have a newer aluminum Lyman on my rifle, and if I had it to do over I'd get a Williams Foolproof.

rmb721
01-12-2010, 12:24 PM
I prefer a Redfield #70 receiver sight for a Marlin lever action. Second choice would be an older Lyman, all steel receiver sight.

Mk42gunner
01-12-2010, 12:59 PM
Actually, this rifle is my little meatmaker, used in heavy brush and woods for often-quick shots, which the standard buckhorn is not known for excelling on. A nice receiver-mounted peep with, perhaps a Tru-Glo on the front would offer, in my opinion, the fastest target acquisition available. I am a left-eye dominant right handed shooter, so I shoot with my left eye closed, which makes target acquisition with a scope somewhat of a slow process. So, this sounds like the ticket.

For a hunting gun that is used with one load, I like the Williams 5-D. It may not be as durable as a steel Lyman, but it is just about impossible for the idiot brother-in-law, (or whomever), to play with sight adjustment knobs that aren't there.

Robert

NickSS
01-12-2010, 02:07 PM
I have been shooting lever guns for a long time and like receiver sights best. If you can find a steel redfield or Lyman that would be the best. Then in order of preference would be the Williams FP, Lyman (New), Skinner, Williams 5d. Then I would consider a tang sight such as the Marbles followed by the Lyman. The main reason I listed the sights as such is that I mostly target shoot and like sights that are easily adjustable for different loads and ranges. The sights that I listed last are not as easily adjustable for me.

Captain*Kirk
01-12-2010, 03:19 PM
I'm still in the process of building the perfect load, but when I find it, that's all I'm gonna shoot. So It'll be set it/forget it.

oldfart1956
01-16-2010, 01:30 AM
Fellers if ya'll are having trouble finding some of the older sights you might want to contact Ken Bean at 383 Yorkana Rd. York, Pa. 17406. His phone # is (717) 755-9070. He shows up regular at the gun shows with tables filled with old sights. I mean literaly hundreds of them. Redfields/Williams/Lymans..etc. etc. etc. Audie..the Oldfart..

Captain*Kirk
01-16-2010, 02:06 AM
Seems like the Williams FP is getting the nod. It would be nice with front Fire Sight.....red or orange dot.
I think I need one.

HPT
01-16-2010, 02:14 AM
I received a Marbles Tang sight Monday and tried it out Wednesday on my Oliver Winchester 94 .38-55 and shot my best blackpowder group ever. Was 2.35" 10-shot @ 100 yds.

Only issue I see is it might get caught & damaged if going thru thick cover unless folded.

I needed to put a fairly low 1/16" ivory bead front sight on in order to be able to raise the rear high enough for a 200 yd shot for a bullet travelling @1225 fps. I wanted to have a rear barrel sight for close range that I could fold down out of the way when using the tang sight, so I ordered the lowest one I could & a front sight to match - only problem is if I have to put that higher front sight on I'll have to raise the tang & lose the 200 yd adjustment.

Expect to receive the barrel sight next week. Might try to modify it if needed to be able to use the low front sight (and keep the 200 yd tang sight capability)

Irascible
01-18-2010, 08:50 PM
Although I'm a fan of tang sights for accuracy, I find that the early Marbles made for the 336 frame guns are uncomfortable to look at and to use. The base is large and blocky, gets in the way of your hand and hurts on heavy kicking guns. Added to this, is that most Marbles and newer Lyman tang sights have axial play, i.e. the aperture wiggles left and right. The new Marbles with the elongated base hole and the changeable stems may be better in those respects, but it's too late to find out. I've swapped my tang sights for Williams receiver sights (with the more streamlined screwdriver adjustment), a much better choice in my book. I do use the target knob models on my non hunting rifles, but find they get in the way and catch brush on my hunting guns. I do use Marbles original tangs on my 1894s as the fit and hand clearance is much nicer. BUT, they have made multiple trips back to the factory to cure the axial play.