PDA

View Full Version : Off topic

44man
05-30-2006, 11:47 PM
but I know a lot of you work with wood. I have two expensive 10" circular saw blades that built up so much resin they would burn the wood. I tried all the usual stuff before I got the brain fart. I put one in the laundry tub and sprayed it with Easy Off oven cleaner. The resin started to run right off. I soaked the blade for about 10 minutes and the resin brushed right off with a toothbrush. Both blades look like new now.

versifier
05-31-2006, 01:49 AM
An old pizza pan is a great place to let them sit overnight after spraying - if you are cutting a lot of particle board or melamine the glue burns onto the blades and is much more difficult to remove than pitch/resin. The buildup makes it almost impossible to cut hardwoods like cherry, birch, oak, or maple without leaving burn marks that are a bitch to have to sand out. You have to let the Easy-Off stay on them for a while. We got in the habit of spraying them when we change blades after cutting anything that might cause buildup. It's also a lot easier if you don't wait until it's thick enough to chisel off.

dk17hmr
05-31-2006, 02:15 AM
I use a Circular skill saw daily in the summer months, I work for a small time contractor and I do alot of work with my buddies on weekend and such, mostly roof jobs. I like to use the old blade we use up for cutting the ridge vent through shingles and all.

You are talkin about a 10" miter box I take it. We hardly ever use those on site unless we are doing trim work. Have worked with a few guys that use them for siding but that gums up the blades in no time.

I have never though about cleaning the old blades up (not my cost, boss doesnt care) but I might give that a shot this summer.

DK

44man
05-31-2006, 07:59 AM
They are for my table saw. I had to cut a lot of pine and green oak and now need clean blades for some furniture.
Good tip about soaking overnight for the real tough stuff but so far pitch has been my only problem.

shooter575
05-31-2006, 09:11 AM
That easy off stuff works well on striping old stocks too.Be sure it says "caustic causes burns" on the can.Also wear persional protective stuff.It does burn the skin! Trust me on this!

Bret4207
06-02-2006, 06:50 AM
Easy Off or the generic brands of the same type are also the best bet for degreasing machinery like tractors, engines, lawn mowers- anything you'd normaly go out and buy a can of "Foamy Brite" engine degreaser for. Much less expensive. Spray, wait, pressure wash. It does a a good job on ovens and grills too!