PDA

View Full Version : Range report: My first 100 cast bullets.

357shooter
01-10-2010, 07:33 PM
So I was thinking all this smelting, prepping & cleaning of moulds, messing with temps, first time lube trials and tribulations was maybe more than I was prepared for.

Finally some time and enough loaded ammo for the range with my favorite 38 cal snubbie to shoot some 148 wadcutters.

First in the left target I shot 10 rounds of the previous bulllets which are swaged store bought wadcutters which I loaded. Tight group and looked good.

Then the newly-cast 148 wadcutters with the same load. WOW! Different sound, different recoil and 10 absolutely outstanding shots. (I sized the bullets per the info on this site so they actually fit the revolver correctly.) Very smooth, very nice.

After about 100 rounds of the newly cast bullets at 7 & 10 yards I just can't believe the difference! Now I get to test the loads and find a new favorite target load! Awesome!

Can't wait to start smelt a bunch of WW and get the assembly line full! This is so worth the little bit of effort... LOL

Now the 45acp is next!

Thanks for all the help.

Shooting something you made and having it be so accurate is an absolute blast.

plus1hdcp
01-10-2010, 07:38 PM
Great report and glad to hear about the positive results. Good luck with the 45 acp

Trey45
01-10-2010, 08:00 PM
You are so hooked now.

GP100man
01-10-2010, 08:18 PM
do you shoot to reload???? do you reload to shoot????? do you cast so you can shoot to reload?????

HHHMMMMM!!!!!!

Glad for your succes prgallo!!!!:drinks:

:castmine:

shooting on a shoestring
01-10-2010, 08:55 PM
Yep communicable disease.

You couldn't have picked a better cartridge to start with than the .38 spl. Thats a well behaved cartridge and handloading, proper sized casting does yield results! Pity the factory ammo shooters.

Handloading vs factory ammo is like home cooking vs McDonalds (assuming you can cook, or reload, some folks just can't).

357shooter
01-11-2010, 04:05 PM
Communicable disease, that's good...

It's amazing the difference, but you guys already know that.

The handloading/home cooking is a great way to explain it.

Now I only have 75lbs of WW (about 5 so far is stick on) but I've at least found several friendly tire stores that are OK with me coming back.

Of course the 75 will take me some time to cast/shoot... looking forward to it.

gon2shoot
01-11-2010, 07:37 PM
Kinda the way it's supposed to work ain't it? :drinks: