PDA

View Full Version : Saeco sizing die question

HeavyMetal
01-10-2010, 02:28 PM
Recently bought a Herter's lub sizer from another member.

This thing is a monster! Lot's of cast iron!

So far I like what I see and think we are going to be together for awhile!

However as I clean it up questions come to mind and I figured I could get some answers here.

This tool is supposed to use Saeco sizing dies and, so far, that's exactly what the die looks like.

What I'd like to get are some dimensions like outside diameter of the sizing die, length from base of "flange" at the top of the die to the start of the threaded area.

I'd also like to know thread count of the nut that holds the die in.

So if anyone with a Saeco sizer can post these numbers I can do some checking and see if this Herter's uses off the shelf Saeco stuff or if I'm gonna have to make them myself.

I already know that nose punch's are different than Saeco's, I'm hoping the dies aren't!

Calamity Jake
01-10-2010, 04:23 PM
Body dia .6875, length to first thread 1.300 and number of threads in the lock nut, 4 to 5, hard to count.

HeavyMetal
01-10-2010, 05:47 PM
Thanks Jake!

After thinking about this for a minute I rekcon thread size not real important as long as any sizer die I buy comes with it's own nut!

I'll pull this down right now and check diamensions while I melt the old lube out f it!

HeavyMetal
01-10-2010, 07:46 PM
For those who might needs this info in the future:

The Herter's lube sizer that I have will not use Standard Saeco sizing dies. The Herters are just a hair larger in diameter at .750 which is .063 larger.

I think I'd have lube gushing all over the place. The real eye opener in these dies is the size of the lube holes drilled into the side of the Die! two rows with two holes in each row with a pair of .250 ( no misprint that is .250!) holes!

Length is shorter to at 1.247 from base of the flange to the step where the threading would start.

Looks like I'll need to talk to lathsmith and see if he wants to tackle a one off for me!

The one I have is .358 all I need is a .431 and I'm good to go.