PDA

View Full Version : Bullet Casting 101

Chip
01-10-2010, 08:25 AM
Hi, can any of you guys tell me if the Bullet Casting 101 DVD from Wolfe Publishing Company any good for a beginner. I'm trying to talk myself into casting my own. Thanks!

WHITETAIL
01-10-2010, 08:30 AM
Chip, Welcome to the forum!:drinks:
I have never tried that, so I do not know.

Recluse
01-10-2010, 08:37 AM
Me neither.

But I can tell you that Bullet Casting 101, 201, 301, 401 are here, and free for the asking--and with interactive feedback. And if you are so inclined to get a graduate level education in Casting, that too is offered here.

:coffee:

WHITETAIL
01-10-2010, 08:56 AM
Chip, Where are you?
I am in Ne Pa.:shock:

Three-Fifty-Seven
01-10-2010, 09:06 AM
Chip, Where are you?
I am in Ne Pa.:shock:

Just to clarify there is a town called "North East" which is in the extreme North West corner of the state near the lake, and then Scranton is up in the North East corner of the state.

Welcome to the site Chip!

I don't know about the DVD, but . . . this site helped me alot! Also for a visual just check youtube for what some guys are doing . . .

Ask lots of questions!

sljacob
01-10-2010, 09:10 AM
+1 on all the good advice and help avaiable on this site. I am new to casting as of last fall and was not getting the results that I was looking for until I started lurking through the threads. I learned in just a couple of months what would have taken years to learn on my own. Great bunch of folks here

WHITETAIL
01-10-2010, 09:15 AM
How about just out side of Scranton Pa?[smilie=s:

2muchstuf
01-10-2010, 09:57 AM
Hi Chip and welcome aboard,
If you're close by feel free to stop over.
I'll be glad to get you started in the right direction.
Compared to many here I'm a total greenhorn, although in the past two years I have managed to cast many K of good boolits.

WARNING- If you too take up this hobby, your life will never be the same.

Tazman1602
01-10-2010, 10:19 AM
Hi, can any of you guys tell me if the Bullet Casting 101 DVD from Wolfe Publishing Company any good for a beginner. I'm trying to talk myself into casting my own. Thanks!

You can spend the money on that DVD but you're still gonna come back here and get better instruction from these guys for FREE.......these guys are casting genuises.

...........and WELCOME to the forum!!!

Art

IllinoisCoyoteHunter
01-10-2010, 11:16 AM
Ahhh, I wouldn't waste your money Chip. There are plenty of good videos on youtube and we will help you out if you have any questions. I can guarantee you that if you hang around here and ask a couple questions you will learn much more than by watching that DVD. Welcome to the Forum Chip!! :drinks:

Bass Ackward
01-10-2010, 11:52 AM
This site attracts two kinds of people. Dummies and ugly folks. Neither is good for a video.

If not for that, we could have made our own video years ago and provided it to new members that needed it.

TAWILDCATT
01-10-2010, 11:54 AM
wolfe prints handloader magazine and they printed. 4 fabulous books on reloading
far better than you can get here.I have them.they made the cd rather than have another press run.call them and they will tell you whats on the cd.I get handloader.
I am to old to apolegize to the posters here,but they are good fellows any way.

HeavyMetal
01-10-2010, 01:44 PM
Chip:
Welcome aboured!

I actully have 3 of the four casting books Wolfe published and wanted the forth. Bought the DVD to get it! Figured having it was a good idea because sooner or later I will wear out the paper the books are printed n!

Tons of good info on this DVD much of it by "big Names" since past on!

As with all things new ideas or tools come around and this hobby is no different so you will want to "stay tuned" here. However if it's in your budget to get this DVD do so!

You will neve be sorry!

montana_charlie
01-10-2010, 01:57 PM
If the DVD turns out to be something you don't need to keep around, you can probably use it for flux...
CM

Bert2368
01-10-2010, 02:04 PM
This site attracts two kinds of people. Dummies and ugly folks. Neither is good for a video.

Hey, I resemble that remark!

Seriously, just reading and asking questions here got me started, and the folks here provided enough swaps, samples and used equipment to start working too.

That being said, I will take a look at Wolf's publications now too.

303Guy
01-10-2010, 03:16 PM
Welcome aboard Chip!

I found it to be more fun 'talking' to the good folks than reading up on it (I don't read much anyway, being ADD as I am).:mrgreen:
I quickly learned not be afraid of failure (well, doing it wrong) knowing there is a right way that will work and someone would steer me there. But doing it wrong helps understanding doing it right much better. Sometimes, just for fun, I would try out the 'wrong' way just to see what would happen! I like to think I've learned a bit in the process. :castmine:

By the way, there is even more fun to be had by adding paper patching to casting![smilie=1: :mrgreen:

DLCTEX
01-10-2010, 03:41 PM
Originally Posted by Bass Ackward
This site attracts two kinds of people. Dummies and ugly folks.
Hey, speak for yourself, I was smart enough to find this site (ok, my teen age son helped me google it but I was smart enough to ask him for help) and my dog loves me, so I can't be THAT ugly.
Seriously, casting isn't rocket science, and experience is the best teacher. Just ask questions and the world of casting is available. Professors of casting are here 24/7.

geargnasher
01-10-2010, 04:00 PM
Hey Dale, that is why dogs are perpetually popular pets! "To his dog, every man is Napoleon."

Chip, welcome aboard! While I can't answer your question directly, I can say that just about everything to do with casting is done differently by each person, and most of them will be right!

Many of the Youtube videos I've seen make me cringe, and the boolits are often very poor by my standards. But if it's safe and you have fun doing it, then do whatever floats your boat!

Check out the Classics and Stickies section, many basics are covered here in great detail from smelting to Lee-menting Lee moulds to you name it, but don't be afraid to jump in and ask questions.

I found this site after nearly 20 years of casting and reloading, and I can tell you that what is covered in Lyman's cast boolit hand book is extremely valid, but also extremely limiting. It should be considered Elementary Arithmetic whereas this site takes it all the way to Theoretical Physics in some instances. Remember, Safety First, that's why we need to be well-versed in "Arithmetic" before moving on.

Gear

mpmarty
01-10-2010, 04:31 PM
Is that why I have to tie a pork chop around my neck to get my dog to pay attention to me?:bigsmyl2:

Chip
01-10-2010, 05:44 PM
Thanks guys! I'm from South Central Pa.

SPRINGFIELDM141972
01-11-2010, 10:01 AM
Chip,

I'm afraid I am not going to add allot to what already has been said. But I would encourage you to stick around here and read the threads that have been posted here. The information here is boundless. If you don't get the answer your are looking for, read the next thread from your search and you will probably find it. The are some guys here that have forgotten more about casting than I will probably ever know. Yet they share that knowledge freely with anyone willing to learn. If you haven't realized it yet, you have stumble onto a source for more information then a truckload of Cd's could provide.

Welcome aboard, set back, buckle up and enjoy the ride.

Regards,
Everett

Jal5
01-11-2010, 02:23 PM
I just saw the one by Ammosmith on Youtube. Pretty decent. His videos on reloading were really helpful too when I started that part of the hobby.

gray wolf
01-11-2010, 09:09 PM
Casting ain't like baking bread---Ifin you do it wrong you can do it over. Most of us do some over again from time to time. If you are the kind that needs a strong visual reference to learn
and think you would be better off with the movies--(Movies boy am I old)--Then get em.
Like it was said good flux material. There ain't that many moving parts and it ain't that hard.
Stay here and learn--take it slow--ask questions--ask them as you go and as you do.
This place has helped me for a long time,and they will keep you safe.
My wife Say's we need a new forum or a sticky.
WHAT WIFES DON'T WANT DONE TO OR IN THERE KITCHEN
i SAY IT SHOULD BE--how to work on your timing and get it done before she gets home
Good luck and stick around.

GW.

Southern Son
01-11-2010, 09:52 PM
Chip,
I learned how to cast from this forum. Just reading old posts gave me enough knowledge to stop me burning down my house or making bad boolits.

GW,
I just told my wife about what you said and she said that she would know what I had been up to because I don't clean up proper. I therefore propose that we include in that sticky or forum HOW TO CLEAN UP SO SHE DON'T KNOW WHAT YOU HAVE BEEN DOING.

I tell you, one batch of lube explodes in the kitchen microwave and she won't ever let me forget it.

Three-Fifty-Seven
01-11-2010, 10:05 PM
I just tell my wife, I am the one who goes off and earns the $, she gets to stay home and clean the house!

Works for me!:mrgreen:

Tazman1602
01-11-2010, 10:37 PM
NO NO NO!! I gots the answer to that one!

.......You find a microwave on sale and buy it. Then you wait till she leaves and tell her "Honey the microwave blew up so I bought you a BRAND NEW one! I'm taking the old piece of junk out to my shop to tinker with it"

.......not only do you get a microwave for your lubes, you may get lucky too!!!

OH! "How to clean up" ............... take a picture first................<GRIN>

Chip,
I learned how to cast from this forum. Just reading old posts gave me enough knowledge to stop me burning down my house or making bad boolits.

GW,
I just told my wife about what you said and she said that she would know what I had been up to because I don't clean up proper. I therefore propose that we include in that sticky or forum HOW TO CLEAN UP SO SHE DON'T KNOW WHAT YOU HAVE BEEN DOING.

I tell you, one batch of lube explodes in the kitchen microwave and she won't ever let me forget it.

Muskrat Mike
01-11-2010, 10:40 PM
Thanks guys! I'm from South Central Pa.

Anywhere near Mechanicsburg or Camp Hill??

Chip
01-13-2010, 08:34 PM
Anywhere near Mechanicsburg or Camp Hill??

I maybe an hour from them.

Kron
01-13-2010, 10:32 PM
Chip -

Not sure if you enjoy reading material as opposed to watching it, but... I'd like to second the suggestion on the Wolfe Publishing books on casting. Many, most, or all of the articles at least in the first title of the set "The Art of Bullet Casting" are those published in the older Handloader and Rifle issues from way back when.

I don't have the DVD yet, but do have about 250 of the 262 available issues of Handloader and have been reading the old casting articles starting back in 1966. Some amazing information in there to help give you a basis from which to branch out and learn more here or actual practice, or both.

I'm a newb here too, picked up lots of useful tidbits already. :) Now if UPS would just hurry up and deliver my second order of molds, lube, and other goodies tomorrow. :P

Goatlips
01-14-2010, 01:57 AM

If not for that, we could have made our own video years ago and provided it to new members that needed it.

Not so dumb or ugly that one of us (quoted above) just made his Four Thousandth post! :drinks:

Goatlips