PDA

View Full Version : These Forums are Great!

ebg3
01-10-2010, 08:07 AM
I'm a new member and I just want to say how great it is to be able to "talk" to others with like interests. No one in my area is into casting and when I try to kick ideas around about casting, lubing or sizing I'm met with confused looks or blank stares! I've already gathered a ton of info from this site and I'll try my best to give in return. Thanks everyone and keep casting!
Eddie

Kuato
01-10-2010, 09:33 AM
Welcome aboard! You're in very good company here...

Tazman1602
01-10-2010, 11:00 AM
Welcome Sir, this is a GREAT forum!

Edubya
01-10-2010, 11:18 AM
I'm a new member and I just want to say how great it is to be able to "talk" to others with like interests. No one in my area is into casting and when I try to kick ideas around about casting, lubing or sizing I'm met with confused looks or blank stares! I've already gathered a ton of info from this site and I'll try my best to give in return. Thanks everyone and keep casting!
Eddie

Eddie, the title of this thread is so correct.
There are several other members here in NC but we're spread out so far and thin from the coast to the mountains that it would be impractical to get together for an hour or so but if you're ever down here in the Southern Pines/Pinehurst area shoot me an email and I'll provide the refreshments and place to have a good long talk.
EW

Oldtimer
01-10-2010, 11:22 AM
A big welcome from me also. I've been in the castin business for over 35 years, and I learn something new every time I come here. Lots of great guys here, with a wealth of info to offer. Come back often. Bob

Mumblypeg
01-10-2010, 11:33 AM
Welcome, being a lone caster in an area is not all bad. At least you don't have to compete for wheel weights.

runfiverun
01-10-2010, 11:51 AM
boy ain't that right.
the small town where i live has at least 7 others that cast,both of the owners of the mechanic shops are among them.
go to the next town over you say, i know of at least 6 there.
i wanna go back to where the shops gave me the ww's to get rid of them.

ebg3
01-10-2010, 03:09 PM
Eddie, the title of this thread is so correct.
There are several other members here in NC but we're spread out so far and thin from the coast to the mountains that it would be impractical to get together for an hour or so but if you're ever down here in the Southern Pines/Pinehurst area shoot me an email and I'll provide the refreshments and place to have a good long talk.
EW
I appreciate that. And if you are ever up in my neck of the woods, give me a shout. I shoot at Pitt County Wildlife Club and I'm the Match Director there for our monthly USPSA pistol match. I'm getting ready to start casting for my .40 SVI pistol I use in competition. That'll be something different.
Eddie

OBXPilgrim
01-10-2010, 06:06 PM
Had to google map Conetoe - I knew I'd seen it before just couldn't remember.

I used to go right by you on 64 at least twice a year (avatar has a hint). Haven't been by in a couple years now thanks to National Audobon Society closing down Hatteras.

01-10-2010, 06:32 PM
egb3,

Lone caster, here, too.

After this site's more than generous members offered many suggestions to eliminate a very persistant and frustrating leading problem, I decided to offer up my limited experiences to those new members who have questions.

Trey45
01-10-2010, 06:40 PM
I was lucky enough to have a good friend who was also a mentor in reloading and casting, this forum has filled in the blanks and given me given me some good advice, and taken a lot of my money, those group buys will ruin ya.

I'm in NC here too. Conetoe is about an hour from me, Gates county here. I have my herd of tire shops I cull once a month, usually get 2-3 buckets every 2 months or so, enough to keep me casting. My only competition for wheel weights are the guys who race lawn mowers and need ballast, and fishermen who make their own weights, to get snagged by the swamp. Stop on by sometime, always open. And sometimes the kitchen is even serving.

MtGun44
01-10-2010, 08:06 PM

Did you beat the leading blues?

Bill

01-10-2010, 09:33 PM
MtGun44,

Yes!!

In fact, your input led me directly to the primary cause. I was casting for a S&W 624 (.44 Special) and using Lee dies. The seater was resizing the .433" boolit back to .429", unbeknownst to me, till you mentioned it. A change in powder helped, too.

Since then, I've switched to Lyman, because of their M die, and am no longer plagued with downsized boolits. I still have two sets of Lee dies left, however, including one for .45 Colt though the Blackhawk is long gone. I'll be replacing the .45ACP/AR set as soon as I can find a set at the right price.

I do like Lee's collet neck sizer die, but use either Lyman or RCBS seaters. Found two Lyman PA dies, one for 6.5 Swede and another for .30-'06 and 30-30. A rather spiffy setup.

wiersy111
01-10-2010, 09:48 PM
Eddie

I'm with ya, this is a great site being new to casting and no subject matter experts in the area this could have turned into a frustrating addiction. I have learned so much from the members here that I am years ahead knowledge wise then if I tried to learn alone. And I still have yet to cast my first boolit, I did melt 90lbs of WW's today. Thanks for all the help and putting up with the rookie questions.

Are there any addicts here from central MN?

ebg3
01-11-2010, 08:05 AM
Thanks for the offers and to all the great replies! I hope I can contribute to this sites' excellence in the future.