PDA

View Full Version : Hey <I'm no longer a virgin !!!!

The Cod Father
05-30-2006, 07:59 PM
Ha I bet that got your attention!!!:mrgreen:

Well after lurking here and reading like a sponge I can finally say :castmine:

My first casting session is now a happy memory, I don't have any kind of big setup yet , I have a 85,000 btu Turkey fryer, a cast iron bake pot ( that both my wife and mother can't believe I bought for melting lead)
I have a couple SS slotted spoons and a SS soup ladle , A Lyman mold I got 2nd hand and a bunch of scrounged WW's .

With this meager collection I ensconced myself on the back deck and assembled my tools like a Medievil Alchemist huddled trying to make gold ,or in my case golden boolits as it were. I got everything up to a good soup and tossed in some old candles my wife had around that smelled like a funeral home , I never had a chance to light the fumes before I was staring down a conflagulation that hasen't been seen in Newfoundland since Mrs. Brown's cow kicked over a lantern in the barn starting the Great Fire of 1862 which burned down over 1/2 the city of St. John's . While trying to remain calm and overide my natural instinct to get gone in the face of the flames I had to convince myself that this was supposed to happen and at the same time remind my fleeting brain that next time I won't arbitrairly toss in a whole votive candle at once but cut it in quarters next time.

It was a busy time in my brain for those few micro seconds !!!

After a thorogh fluxing I skimmed the carbon dust off and tossed it in a small can leaving a nice silver trail across the deck ( note to self , tip the extra lead off first )
I deployed the soup ladle and warmed the mold. As I was about to dip into the lead I slipped the ladle backwards moving any possible dust on the surface out of the way and scooped up my first bowl of silver liquid and nervously tried to get most of the lead to pour into the 2 holes in the sprue plate.

I whacked the sprue plate clean off and opened the mold and out popped a beautifully formed bullet ,regretfully the other one stuck and took several whacks to get it to pop loose. as it did the rest of the casting session. That one side always stuck .

A note to other new casters , don't be in a hurry to pick up and look at your first boolit ,it may be solid but it is still hot as a bugger (don't ask )

Anyway the afternoon ended with me having cast a total of 186 boolits and when I sorted them I had 118 good ones and 68 I will return to the pot for my next session as they were flawed in some way or another

Sorry about the length of this but I was really excited about my first time and really wanted to share with people who would appreciate why I was so pleased.

TCF

shooter575
05-30-2006, 08:08 PM
Cod father,nice post! It is too late now.You go from being a nice virgin to a **** like the rest of us in no time flat.
Welcome aboard.

9.3X62AL
05-30-2006, 08:32 PM
Another fallen flower checking in.

GREAT story, kinda reminiscent of my own start on this slippery slope. Yeah, those newborn boolits are a mite warm, and stay that way for a spell too.

FISH4BUGS
05-30-2006, 08:58 PM
A note to other new casters , don't be in a hurry to pick up and look at your first boolit ,it may be solid but it is still hot as a bugger (don't ask )
TCF
I think I still burn myself every time in one way or another. Grabbing the spoon before it cools off, picking up the sprue cuttings before they cool, picking up a hot bullet, splashed lead from dropping a bad bullet into the pot, ingots that are still hot, or any other of a hundred ways.
There is something inherently satisfying in casting the bullets, then sizing them, then loading them. Just wait until you REALLY get it bad and start your never ending search for wheel weights. Oh yes, then there are the moulds (I bought one myself today - a new Lyman 9mm 4 cavity). Then there are the moulds that you can't use, but will hope to buy a gun for some day. Then there are the thousands of dollars of associated equipment.
Aint it fun?

Duckiller
05-30-2006, 09:03 PM
Be glad you didn't have a spoon or ladle in the melt stirring when the wax lit off. You could /would have had lead all over the place. One advantage of water dropping is boolits cool fast and you don't have burnt fingers. Welcome to the club.

redneckdan
05-30-2006, 09:09 PM
you don't need a whole dang candle, for my 20lb pot it only takes a little ball about 3/8" diameter.

buck1
05-30-2006, 10:39 PM
"I was really excited about my first time
You should have used protection........-GLOVES- that is....LOL .......Buck

waksupi
05-30-2006, 11:00 PM
That reminds me of an old fellow walking up to the forge, picking up a hot horseshoe, and dropping it immediately. When asked if it was hot, he said, No, it just doesn't take me long to look at a horseshoe.
Rule of thumb around forges, and casting. If it ain't wet, it's hot!

PatMarlin
05-30-2006, 11:36 PM
Welcome to the lead asylum.. :drinks: Where you from Cod Father?

I know a fisherman with that handle.. :drinks:

Goatlips
05-31-2006, 12:51 AM
After a thorogh fluxing I skimmed the carbon dust off and tossed it in a small can leaving a nice silver trail across the deck ( note to self , tip the extra lead off first )
TCF

Yep Codfather, (who sleeps with the fishes?..) I still have lead splashes on my sidewalk from my first smelting endeavour. Come to think of it, I still have Bondo splats on my driveway from a couple of decades ago. :mrgreen:

Goatlips

ihmsakiwi
05-31-2006, 05:00 AM
Oh, I still have a scar between my big toe and the next toe from a little drop of lead that split from the liquid sprue during my first casting session.
I had on all my new casting gear, safety glasses, leather apron and gloves and OPEN TOED SHOES!!!! But I am a fast learner...never again. Peter.

madcaster
05-31-2006, 06:10 AM
I'm with Wapsupi,it doesn't take long to inspect a hot boolit!
Really like the post of your first time Cod Father!Good to have you aboard,just make sure you are wearing safety glasses too.
Jeff.

dragonrider
05-31-2006, 07:36 AM
The hook has been set.

Four Fingers of Death
05-31-2006, 07:58 AM
Those suckers are hot aren't they :-)

Good work, we all start modest and the great feeling you get when you actually shoot those boolits will stay with you forever. I remember casting some 142 Gn button nosed wadcutters from a single cavity Lyman mould and then shooting a personal best the following Saturday. I can still see the targets and everthing, I'll never forget those clean sharp wadcutter holes (I had been shooting commercial SWCs before that). very gratifying.

Good luck with it.

keeper89
05-31-2006, 08:14 AM
Codfather--and I am quite sure you thought you had been despoiled prior to this! Now just another tramp, hanging around old gunshops hoping for trade in molds and spending a lot of time showing some leg (or beer, or soda, or whatever) in front of some seedy service station hoping for a load of ww..........welcome aboard!:drinks:

waksupi
05-31-2006, 08:19 AM
Oh, I still have a scar between my big toe and the next toe from a little drop of lead that split from the liquid sprue during my first casting session.
I had on all my new casting gear, safety glasses, leather apron and gloves and OPEN TOED SHOES!!!! But I am a fast learner...never again. Peter.

You were obviously imroperly dressed. I believe Buckshot has the definitive outfit, consisting of huaraches, breechclout, and sombrero. Please follow his example, and be safe!

SharpsShooter
05-31-2006, 09:05 AM
Great start and story too, but it gets worse...you find yourself buying moulds for guns you don't even have or plan on buying. Done this several times............

HORNET
05-31-2006, 10:10 AM
Cod Father,
Good story and welcome to the land of the lost. You don't really have it bad until you start shopping for a $1500 gun to fit a mold that you got dirt cheap because nobody wanted it ( poor little thing).
(I don't need a .348, I don't need a .348, I don't need a .348.....)[smilie=s: :bigsmyl2:

klausg
05-31-2006, 10:45 AM
Another one on the open-toed shoes deal. I learned over the weekend that romeo's, (pretty much specific to the Pacific NW, they call 'em deck shoes in Idaho) are not really good casting wear either. I cut a sprue while sitting my but on the 5 gal. bucket in the back of the PU and, you guessed it, it went 'plop' right into my shoe. No burn, didn't even get too warm, though it was a rather comical mad scramble trying to get the shoe off, luckily: a) they kick-off really easy, and b) no one saw the whole incident.

-SSG Klaus

scrapcan
05-31-2006, 12:29 PM
Well all I can say is I think we can all remember our first time by reading the first post. Just like everything the first time is the glorious, however quantity will make that first time feeling come back everytime!

Now you get to have your first time at cleaning a leaded barrel. Maybe not imeediately, but it is a good first time also. And you are going to learn more than you thought possible.

Have fun, be safe, and teach the rest of us something when you learn something new.

Bucks Owin
05-31-2006, 01:51 PM
Welcome to the ranks brother! :drinks:

Excellent story. You are a pretty handy wordsmith!

As manleyjt said, now you'll get to learn firsthand about cleaning a leaded barrel. (You didn't think that ALL things related to shooting cast boolits would be as much fun as casting didja?) [smilie=1:

Dennis :castmine:

The Cod Father
07-16-2006, 11:45 PM
Thanks for all the replys guys ,it really is a great hobby and I'm already haunting places that may have WW's ,spending late nights looking on E-bay for dies and things I want but don't really need .

I have learned one good lesson . Don't loan your smelting burner to a buddy to go fishing --EVER ---

Hey Goatlips , I may not decide who gets to sleep with the fishes ,however I can arrange it so you get your tail in the mornng .

Later from The Rock ( Newfoundland)

TCF