PDA

View Full Version : star lubesizer

starbits
01-09-2010, 03:11 PM
I have been interested in getting a star lubesizer. With 3 closing on ebay in the next day or two I thought maybe now was the time. However 2 are already over $200 and the second bidder on those is also the second bidder on the third so I expect it to go over $200 also. A new one is $250 so the savings would be less than $50 buying used.

So the question is: Are the lubesizers being produced by Magma/star today any better or worse quality than vintage ones produced by star?

Ajax
01-09-2010, 03:29 PM
not even that once you figure in shipping.

Andy

Springfield
01-09-2010, 03:49 PM
I have 1 new one and 2 older ones, and they all work exactly the same. Buy a new one and you will know what you are geting. I have bought 2 other used ones that I sold 'cause they were just too beat up, despite what the seller said on e-bay.

starbits
01-09-2010, 03:53 PM
Thanks for the info Springfield.

lathesmith
01-09-2010, 11:41 PM
Yes, this one is a no-brainer, pay 90% new price for a used machine in ????? shape, or buy a brand new machine. Of course in this case the only way to go is new....and you know that your investment holds its value very well.

lathesmith

jameslovesjammie
01-10-2010, 12:48 AM
I got one on Ebay a year ago for $175. It was about $200 with shipping. Upon opening the package, I took the plunger out and realized there were no innards in it. I took a washer and cut it down to proper diameter so it will fit in the tube to apply pressure. I have to pull that washer out with 2 long picks whenever I need to add lube. For $50, it would have been well worth the hassle I am putting up with now, and I would have a factory fresh unit with 100% tolerances, instead of a machine that has seen better days.

This being said, I still think it is the best sizer on the market, and I wouldn't sell mine. Just watch out for Ebay. My seller bought it at an estate sale and didn't know anything about casting. Sale was as is.

cbrick
01-10-2010, 02:12 AM
Yes, this one is a no-brainer, pay 90% new price for a used machine in ????? shape, or buy a brand new machine. Of course in this case the only way to go is new....and you know that your investment holds its value very well.

lathesmith

That's just pure common sense.

More common sense is that after you get your new Star Lubrisizer the place to get your dies is from Lathesmith. He makes first rate Star dies far cheaper than from Magma.

So the question is: Are the lubesizers being produced by Magma/star today any better or worse quality than vintage ones produced by star?

The only difference I'm aware of is an "O" ring seal on the dies. The rest of the machine is made to the same specs as Star Machine Works in San Diego, Magma didn't change anything else. Any replacement parts by Magma will fit the older machine.

Rick

HeavyMetal
01-10-2010, 03:54 AM
The big issue with e bay is the "opertunity" sellers! They know what something is worth have no clue how it works!

My limit on a used Star sizer would be 150 to 175, depending on how it was equipped. After that buy new!

I will tell you that you won't be disapointed once you work through the learning curve on the Star. If you've used other sizers like the Lyman the "curve" will be about a week to ten days, if you've never had a sizer it will be about 2 days or less if you read the instructions.

Don't know why that is, it just seems to be that way judging from questions asked on this forum.

opentop
01-10-2010, 04:49 AM
I bought a new one from magma about 9 months ago and I love IT! Got my dies from lathesmith and I haven't looked back! I can tell you that you will not be disapointed!

starbits
01-10-2010, 04:13 PM
Usually if I am going to buy used it has to be pretty cheap, less than $150 in this case. If I can't steal it I'd rather buy new. Which is why I asked the question in case quality has gone down the tubes like I have been reading about one of the mold makers here. Glad to hear it hasn't.

More common sense is that after you get your new Star Lubrisizer the place to get your dies is from Lathesmith. He makes first rate Star dies far cheaper than from Magma.

I had already read enough compliments to make Lathesmith my first contact for dies when I need them.

Thanks everyone.

Starbits.

Lloyd Smale
01-10-2010, 04:42 PM
i got a new one this summer after the fire and I cant see the differnce in it and my old ones.

405WIN
01-12-2010, 11:04 PM
I got a new one last summer and once I got it figured out I sold my SAECO for about 100.00 then sold my old SAECO dies etc for another 100 or so.
I love the new Star. Get my dies from Lathesmith also. Great guy to deal with. Well woth the 250.00 I paid.

IllinoisCoyoteHunter
01-12-2010, 11:08 PM
Another vote for buying new and get your dies and other accessories from Lathesmith. Top notch stuff. I own his dies, top punches, locking nuts with setscrews, and his roller handle (a must!) and it is all great stuff! Good luck!

MtGun44
01-13-2010, 12:31 AM
Lots of stuff on eBay goes for MORE than full-boat retail, very hard to figure. One explanation
is foreign buyers where the local dealer price is 2-3 times the USA retail, so paying 20% over
USA retail makes some sense for them. However, for Americans this stuff is just insane.

Of course, there is always the risk that you will get something less than it was described to
be, too.

Bill

vegplot
01-15-2010, 04:44 PM
I've just bought a new lubrisiser from Magma and am having problems getting it to work properly. I'm sizing .357 and it takes enormous pressure, enough to flex the handle bar, to get the bullet sized in the die. This is true for both bullets cast saeco and lee moulds. The ram passes easily through the die so it's not a binding problem.

No_1
01-15-2010, 05:27 PM
Lube your die. There is lube in it from the point of the lube holes down but try adding some type of lube above the holes and see what happens.

Robert

I've just bought a new lubrisiser from Magma and am having problems getting it to work properly. I'm sizing .357 and it takes enormous pressure, enough to flex the handle bar, to get the bullet sized in the die. This is true for both bullets cast saeco and lee moulds. The ram passes easily through the die so it's not a binding problem.

Springfield
01-15-2010, 06:21 PM
The easiest way to lube the die is to just run a lubed bullet through it. If I am sizing down more than 4 thou I run a lubed bullet through about every 12-20 bullets. Less than that and I usually don't need to do anything. New dies can also be worse for this until you get a buch of bullets through it and polish the bore a bit.

cbrick
01-15-2010, 06:41 PM
vegplot, welcome to Castboolits

I use Hornady's "Unique" case lube, a little tub of white . . . ?? Stuff. I just keep a very small amount on my fingers and simply handling the boolits to drop them into the die is all it takes.

What size (diameter as cast) and what alloy are you trying to size?

Rick

Depdog
01-17-2010, 01:12 PM
Got mine new about a month ago, got the last one they had then and they said it would be about a month before they got another batch in. I orderd the Air Lube feed and their heated base. Works AWESOME with hard lube. Bought a die and L handle from Lathesmith and they work great as well. Sized and lubed about 500 last night waiting on the Lee pots to heat up. Works fast and turns out a very nicely lubed boolit.

To start out the first boolit I give a light coat of Dawn Dish Washing liquid. Then about every 15 boolits I re-run one of the lubed ones. Works out well for me.

Glenn

plus1hdcp
01-17-2010, 02:06 PM

I am by no means an expert on the Magma, the learning curve is steep. Do you have a heater? If so, turn the heater on and walk away for 20-30 minutes. Enormous pressure should not be required. I have to constantly remind myself not to increase pressure. Do a search on the lubsizer because a while back I stumbled on one and some great advice was given which assisted myself. Good luck and feel free to pm me and I will try to help.

TriggerHappyAndy
01-17-2010, 02:37 PM
Vegpolt: what kind of boolits are you casting? And what alloys are you using? If you use very hard alloys like linotype you may want to mix some more lead into it.

Bulltipper
01-24-2010, 10:34 PM
Who is the dealer for the Star / Magma lubesizer, after reading this thread I think I am going to have to have one...

cbrick
01-24-2010, 11:28 PM
Magma Engineering (http://www.magmaengineering.com/)

Echo
01-25-2010, 12:01 AM

You don't mention what lube you are using.. If a hard lube, with no heat source - there will be problems.

cheese1566
01-25-2010, 10:45 AM
I would love to have a Star someday...maybe sell my three lubers to get one!

What is the turn around involved for changing bullet styles? I know changing the sizer is involved, but how much time and adjustment is there to change over?

(that is why I have 3 lubers; 2 dedicated to the calibers I shoot the most, the other for the minimal shooters)

Springfield
01-25-2010, 11:20 AM
If you are just changing bullet styles and not changing the diameter you probably won't have to change anything. If you are changing out the sizer die it takes about 3 minutes.

Bulltipper
01-25-2010, 11:26 AM
Thanks cbrick, So, one more question, what do you guys think are the "gotta have it" accessories for these sizers, i am moving around 1000-2000 boolits a week through my lyman, I am in a semi cold climate so I know I need a heater.

lathesmith
01-25-2010, 12:06 PM
cheese--change die, (maybe) change punch--like Springfield said, about 3 minutes.

Bull--
OMG, if you are doing 2k a week thru a Lyman, a Star will be your dream machine! For that many slugs, I think one of the air pressure units would be very useful, and possibly a bullet feeder, if for no other reason than to keep your fingers more out of harm's way. And of course, one of those lathesmith roller handles will help keep the blisters way, ha!(Sorry, I couldn't resist). Seriously, 2k of production is some heavy-duty work in my book, and just getting a basic Star with nothing on it bolted to your bench will be a BIG improvement production-wise. You can always start basic and add gear as you go along, don't let the confusion of what stuff to add stop you from at least getting the basic machine up and going. You will be very glad you did!

lathesmith

cbrick
01-25-2010, 12:49 PM
Agree with lathesmith 110%, 2K a week and no Star? That's a depressing thought.

Heater for sure and for 2K I highly recommend the air system. I didn't use the air system for a long time, I told myself I wasn't a commercial caster so I don't need that. After I finally got one all I could think was . . . WHAT was I thinking.

There is a learning curve with the Star but it doesn't take long to master it. If you don't have an air compressor a small portable air tank will do, it doesn't take air volume, only air pressure. I change out dies and punch in just a few minutes. The heater helps here also, getting a cold die out with really cold lube in the machine isn't much fun. :roll:

Rick

miestro_jerry
01-25-2010, 01:04 PM
I own a Star and Lathesmith made a bunch of dies for me. This is my #1 investment that paid it self back many times over.

Jerry

Bulltipper
01-25-2010, 01:35 PM
You guys are great! thanks for the quick input. Lyman wants me to send thier sizer back for inspection and I think that will be a fiasco. at least 3 weeks without a sizer at all. I am doing 452, 429 and 358, Lathesmith, how much am I looking at in dies for the star? Does it lube and size in one shot? Does it have a hand crank or how does it feed the lube? I guess i don't need top punches any more with the star. I see that Magma wants $250 for their machine (I seem to remember my uncle works for Magma in AZ) I need a number to tell my "accountant" (read wife) to get set up. Sorry for all the questions,
kevin

testhop
01-25-2010, 04:06 PM
KEVEN
the star sizes lubes all in one pass as it spits the boolit out the bottom .
hint: drop some hints around the wife and kids aboutwhat you want for christmas and or birthday and other holidays.

Bulltipper
01-25-2010, 04:16 PM
'preciate it testhop, I spoke with a Lyman tech this morning and he said the slop in the ram would be considered acceptable by the factory. He suggested I get a different brand of sizer for the quantity I am doing. He suggested the same sizer he has on his test bench there at the Lyman R&D. Take a wild guess what brand he suggested...

opentop
01-25-2010, 05:46 PM
Does it lube and size in one shot? Does it have a hand crank or how does it feed the lube?

Watch this video, it shows it all.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZCtLi8i7tMg

machinisttx
01-25-2010, 06:33 PM
Seems like the star would ding the boolits up pretty good.

opentop
01-25-2010, 09:30 PM
Seems like the star would ding the boolits up pretty good.

No, they really don't

lathesmith
01-25-2010, 09:43 PM
Bull, check the "vendor sponsors" forum here, I have a thread going there that tells quite a bit of info about Star dies. Basic dies run $35 each shipped, and a new machine comes with one punch that should work OK for all three calibers. Some guys like to go with multiple punches and nuts with setscrews to speed up caliber switches, and/or fitted punches for each caliber for gas checks. But, once again, don't worry about that until you have a basic machine on the bench and have worked with it for a bit so you can decide what you want.
Yes, for lube pressure control the basic machine has a pressure screw kinda like a Lyman that regulates pressure, one crank should be good for 15-40 bullets, depending.
Dinging up bullets isn't something that would be a problem with a Star, just rig your catch tray properly and don't worry about it.
Ugh, like cbrick says, 2k/week bullet production without a Star sounds like a drag. My wrist starts hurting just thinking about it!

lathesmith

cbrick
01-25-2010, 10:19 PM
He suggested I get a different brand of sizer for the quantity I am doing. He suggested the same sizer he has on his test bench there at the Lyman R&D. Take a wild guess what brand he suggested...

:grin: Lyman too huh? When John Adams sold SAECO to Redding and closed the California shop he sold me the lubrisizer that SAECO used in their shop . . . The very same Star that's bolted to my bench today. I have Star dies that are stamped SAECO but that I know of they never sold such dies. Hhmmm . . . I wonder what brand lubrisizer Redding has in their shop?

Rick

cbrick
01-25-2010, 10:41 PM
Some guys like to go with multiple punches and nuts with setscrews to speed up caliber switches, and/or fitted punches for each caliber for gas checks. lathesmith

I don't use the lock nuts on my punches, I let it more or less free float to find it's own flat against the boolit base. I also order from Magma larger diameter than normal flat punches that barely slip fit into the die without marking it so more of the boolit base is covered by the die and doesn't punch in the center of the check, fits the outer edge of the check.

When placing the boolit into the die I also start by holding the boolit base up against the flat punch, then lower the handle while holding the boolit flat against the punch until it starts into the die. You'll get a straighter start and more concentric boolits.

Rick

machinisttx
01-26-2010, 03:34 PM
No, they really don't

How do you keep it from doing that? I've cast some fairly hard bullets, but even they would have gotten dinged by the drop into a container.

:?:

opentop
01-26-2010, 10:31 PM
How do you keep it from doing that? I've cast some fairly hard bullets, but even they would have gotten dinged by the drop into a container.

They are only dropping about 4-5 inches into the container. No different then dropping them from the mold onto a towel or pile of cast boolits. If they do get dings I don’t really notice them, its minute and nothing to loose sleep over. A microscopic ding aint nothing compared to the ding its going to have when it hits the steel backstop.

One could catch the bullets with your hand as it’s dropped from the star, but I found this to be too much of a pita.

Tumble lubing is the one that I think would ding up the bullets the worst, but it is still a very popular method for some folks.

cbrick
01-29-2010, 01:29 AM
It's been almost three weeks since this thread started, has starbits ordered a Star yet? :coffee:

Rick

starbits
01-31-2010, 09:00 PM
It's been almost three weeks since this thread started, has starbits ordered a Star yet? :coffee:

Rick

Not yet although I did decide to buy new instead of compeating on eBay for an unknown. Just a matter of time and money.

Eric

cbrick
01-31-2010, 09:41 PM
What is hindsight worth? This just posted this afternoon, coulda, woulda, shoulda grabed this up for you.

Show Castboolits thread (http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=74417)

http://www.lasc.us/deprimetriste294230fr.gif

Too late now.

Rick

starbits
01-31-2010, 10:19 PM
What is hindsight worth? This just posted this afternoon, coulda, woulda, shoulda grabed this up for you.

Show Castboolits thread (http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=74417)

http://www.lasc.us/deprimetriste294230fr.gif

Too late now.

Rick

Thanks for thinking of me Rick. I'm sure somebody is smiling today. :bigsmyl2:

Starbits

rollmyown
03-20-2010, 08:11 AM
Does the star fit gas checks in the same way that the other lube sizers do?

can the die size be ordered in any size (eg 313, 314, 315, 316 etc.), or do they only come in off the shelf sizes?

Thanks - Rollmyown

jameslovesjammie
03-20-2010, 03:27 PM
Yup, it does gaschecks, too.

Get your dies from Lathesmith. He will make you whatever you want.

rollmyown
03-20-2010, 07:37 PM
Gotta get the Star first, I also have to factor in postage cost to Australia and the heater too. Hopin' it's not gunna stir up the silverfish in my wallet too much!!

Thanks

hammerhead357
03-26-2010, 06:23 PM
cbrick, I too have a star die that is marked SAECO. I don't remember if I ordered it or where it came from. I think it may have been a special order item....Wes

Cherokee
03-26-2010, 08:16 PM
rollmyown - guess you may have noticed, a number of Australians are on this site. I find it interesting the members from around the world. My Star is an old one but I hear the new ones are good, but do get your dies from Lathesmith.

wildwillalaska
03-31-2010, 01:59 AM
Just and FYI--I ordered a star sizer about a week ago--they said it would be a couple/few weeks until they had them in and would ship.

63 Shiloh
03-31-2010, 07:47 AM
Rollmyown,

I live in West Australia and ordered the Star sizer, heater and air feed assembly from Magma.

I even called Arizona and spoke to a very nice lady who sorted me out.

All the gear arrived in perfect condition in about 10 days, our dollar is quite strong against the USD so now is the time to buy.

I looked at NIOA's price for a Lyman 4500 and it was $450.00!!

Go the Star mate, you will be very happy.