PDA

View Full Version : will gascheck brand affect accuracy?

hornsurgeon
01-09-2010, 12:54 PM
i have several different brands for gas checks that i have accumulated here. will changing gas check brands affect the acuracy of a load? this is mainly for 7mm, 30 cal, and 45/70.

StarMetal
01-09-2010, 01:18 PM
i have several different brands for gas checks that i have accumulated here. will changing gas check brands affect the acuracy of a load? this is mainly for 7mm, 30 cal, and 45/70.

I see the biggest effect being whether the gas check stays on the bullet or comes off. I haven't see much difference in accuracy through it all including home made check from aluminum or copper. I think just about any half decent made check will suffice.

But like many discussions here on the forum it will probably turn into NASA rocket science and walking on the moon, not to include the Mars rover.

Joe

Shiloh
01-09-2010, 01:22 PM
My understanding is that all current manufacture checks are made by Hornady. These are sold to other vendors.

Shiloh

hornsurgeon
01-09-2010, 01:28 PM
it's my understanding that both hornaday and lymay are made by hornaday. what i have here are anywhere from brand new hornaday, to approx 30-40 year old hornaday and lyman. also i have quite a few gator checks. i know i could load several of each and go shoot them, but i figured that there would be a few guys here that already know. :)

besides, we need a new ford/chevy argument here don;t we?

DLCTEX
01-09-2010, 02:00 PM
Not all commercially made checks are made by Hornady, Gator for example. But if you have older Lyman, Ideal, Herters, and many more, they are not designed like the Hornady brand and can be hard to seat to where they stay with the boolit all the way to the target. Random exits of checks can cause accuracy to vary. Some of the older checks I have scrounged require a dab of super glue to stay on through loading in the cartridge, let alone shooting it. The same checks may stay on a different moulds copy, so it can depend on your particular mould and seating method.
Gator checks are reported to grip the boolit like Hornadys do.

hornsurgeon
01-09-2010, 02:05 PM
i beg to differ about gator checks. the 22 cal ones grip fine, but the 2 different batches of gator checks i have will not grip any of my checked 45/70 boolits. they can be pulled off easily. i have anneald them, tried different size diameters, and other tricks, but they seem to come off easily for me.

JeffinNZ
01-09-2010, 03:30 PM
In my experience the answer is 'yes'.

My Lyman 225462 does not shoot as well with H crimp on copper chex as it does with the old stle Lyman slip on brass chex.

kelbro
01-09-2010, 03:46 PM
The weights vary between brands too. That could affect accuracy.