PDA

View Full Version : Gas Checks

DeadWood
01-09-2010, 01:59 AM
Should i always use with/when ordering cast boolits? Even if loading with Unique or similiar powder for those light/plinking loads?

If i retained the info. correctly, really no need for them below a certain fps? we use them when the CB isn't sized for that particular barrel?

thanks

Bullshop Junior
01-09-2010, 02:03 AM
Depends. Where are you buying your bullets from? I use case boolits in all of my guns, and shoot them up to 1500 FPS with no gas check, But I use Speed Green Boolit Lube.

Wally
01-09-2010, 09:15 AM
Should i always use with/when ordering cast boolits? Even if loading with Unique or similiar powder for those light/plinking loads?

If i retained the info. correctly, really no need for them below a certain fps? we use them when the CB isn't sized for that particular barrel?

thanks

The only way you'll know for sure is to shoot them w/o the gas checks and see how they do. I think most would agree that it is better to use gas checks bullets with gas checks than not to, BUT below a cetrerain velocity the difference in accuracy is just not all that much. I bought a gas check making tool and now always use gas checks on gas check bullets,

Bret4207
01-09-2010, 09:26 AM
If you look down the main menu there's a whol;e big section created just for the question you ask. "Gas Checks" . Try there.

44man
01-09-2010, 09:26 AM
You just need to try them. I had one 30 cal boolit that would keyhole without a check.

runfiverun
01-09-2010, 11:54 PM
i usually have to use low vel loads 900-1100 if i don't use a g/c on a g/c boolit.