PDA

View Full Version : Zippo

redneckdan
05-30-2006, 12:24 PM
Note to self, do not over fill zippo lighter, bad things result....like setting yer room mates desk on fire.:shock:

454PB
05-30-2006, 12:28 PM
I didn't know anyone but me still used the old smelly Zippo naptha lighters. My worst experience was overfilling one, then putting it in my pants pocket. That naptha feels like pepper spray after soaking your skin for a while!

redneckdan
05-30-2006, 01:48 PM
I actually found this one while at work. Needs a flint so I'm gonna go downtown and get the whole rebuild kit. I've always wanted one fer my woods kit but never bought one. Guess God takes care of fools and woodsbums.

MGySgt
05-30-2006, 08:04 PM
I carry the same one I received at a Marine Corps Ball in 1975 - Yes 1975. It has been sent back a few times for rebuilds, but I carry it every day!

redneckdan
05-30-2006, 08:09 PM
cool, I got at rebuild kit containing a bottle of fuel, 6 flints, and a wick all for the sum of 2 bucks.

krag35
05-30-2006, 09:22 PM
The claw hammer, 1911 Colt and Zippo, 3 things that come to mind that really can't be improved upon
krag35

Slowpoke
05-30-2006, 09:50 PM
I actually found this one while at work. Needs a flint so I'm gonna go downtown and get the whole rebuild kit. I've always wanted one fer my woods kit but never bought one. Guess God takes care of fools and woodsbums.

You know a 16ga hull tucked into a 12 ga. hull makes a pretty nice match safe, for woods kits and the like.

good luck

montana_charlie
05-30-2006, 10:23 PM
I've been trying to quit the cigarettes for a year, now. I took to puffing a pipe just to make believe I was smoking, but I don't carry it with me when away from the house. And it takes matches to light a pipe properly.

But, even though I never fill it anymore, and don't carry smoking materials, my old Zippo still rides in my pocket everyday...just like always.
CM

waksupi
05-30-2006, 10:44 PM
I used a Zippo for years, but finally (sacrilege!) found a better lighter. I got a Nimrod pipe lighter, that is far more wind proof than the Zippo. In fact, it likes to be pointed into the wind for best use. And, unlike a Zippo, it doesn't leak fluid. After seeing a friends, I got mine from Ebay some years back, and really like it.

454PB
05-31-2006, 12:39 AM
I've been trying to quit the cigarettes for a year, now. I took to puffing a pipe just to make believe I was smoking, but I don't carry it with me when away from the house. And it takes matches to light a pipe properly.
CM

Huh? I've been smoking a pipe for 35 years. I can light it with any flame source known to man....and maybe even a flint if I have to.

What I disliked about Zippos was that taste of lighter fluid.

My son-in-law is a firefighter, and right after 9/11 the folks at the airport brought a huge bag of lighters and Ronson fluid that had be confiscated from plane passengers to his station. He handed it all over to me. I think I've got enough fire making equipment to last me a while:drinks:

carpetman
05-31-2006, 12:51 AM
Received at a Marine Corp ball. I didnt know Marines had

ZIPPO's

keeper89
05-31-2006, 08:22 AM
Naw, they usually just rub two enemies together until they catch........:twisted:

waksupi
05-31-2006, 08:35 AM
454PB rang a bell. I've not hunted antelope on the east side for a few years, and forgot about the flint and steel. Over there, the wind tends to blow a bit. More than you can light any conventional lighter in. I have a pocket flint and steel kit, and some char cloth that I keep in my pack. I can take a small square of the char, strike a spark, and light a cigar or pipe, first time, every time, assuming it wasn't raining hard. Once you get that char going in that wind, nothing is going to put it out, until it is ready to go out!

MGySgt
05-31-2006, 12:45 PM
Received at a Marine Corp ball. I didnt know Marines had

ZIPPO's
Carefull Carpetman - we are everywhere! :)

Old Ironsights
05-31-2006, 02:58 PM
454PB rang a bell. I've not hunted antelope on the east side for a few years, and forgot about the flint and steel. Over there, the wind tends to blow a bit. More than you can light any conventional lighter in. I have a pocket flint and steel kit, and some char cloth that I keep in my pack. I can take a small square of the char, strike a spark, and light a cigar or pipe, first time, every time, assuming it wasn't raining hard. Once you get that char going in that wind, nothing is going to put it out, until it is ready to go out!
I prefer Firepistons to flint & steel, but otherwise, ditto... and it's easier to lite a fuse...er... ciggarette with a firepiston ember. :twisted:

KCSO
05-31-2006, 03:33 PM
Waksupi
A banker type visitor to the old Green River Rifle Works asked for a light, Greg Roberts fished in his pocket and pulled out a flint and steel, struck a piece of char cloth and lit the guy up. The fellow went up to Gary White and points back at Greg and says, "He's been working here a long time, huh".

waksupi
05-31-2006, 08:32 PM
I prefer Firepistons to flint & steel, but otherwise, ditto... and it's easier to lite a fuse...er... ciggarette with a firepiston ember. :twisted:

I've not played with the fire piston enough. I've made a couple attempts at making them, but my tolerances must be intolerable. One of these days, I'll get it right!

redneckdan
05-31-2006, 10:08 PM
whats a fire piston?

wills
05-31-2006, 10:39 PM
Here is some information

http://www.firepistons.com/

Blackwater
06-04-2006, 01:33 AM
DAng, fellas! That fire piston's one NICE piece of equipment ... with a price to match, of course. Tell me more of its use, and how it works, if you don't mind. I'm not familiar with it.

And as to the Zippo, nothing quite competes with it, overall. Where do I get a rebuild kit for mine? The spring in the flint shaft has gone weak on me, and I could use one.

redneckdan
06-04-2006, 02:05 AM
send it to zippo, no charge for repairs. they ship it back on thier dime. a local shop had rebuild parts

StarMetal
06-04-2006, 09:27 AM
blackwater,

The firepiston works on the same principle of the diesel engine. That is it compresses the air inside the cylinder, which creates tremendous heat, and ignites whatever is inside the cylinder. In the case of a diesel it's diesel fuel, and in the case of the firepiston it's the combustible material that one puts in it to start his fire with.

I wouldn't advise putting anykind of oil in the firepiston.

Joe

C A Plater
06-04-2006, 10:33 AM
Zippo has a repair department Their contact address is:
Zippo Manufacturing Company
Attention: Repair Clinic
1932 Zippo Drive
Bradford, PA 16701

Full instructions on the web site at http://www.zippo.com

floodgate
06-04-2006, 11:48 AM
Interestingly, the fire piston mechanism has been used for ignition in firearms; it turns up in a few early experimental arms in the black powder era, and Saml. Colt is reported to have tinkered with it at one point. It is the cause of "dieseling" in over-oiled airguns, and the short-lived Daisy "VL" caseless .22 used the same principle for ignition. And, of course, a Diesel engine is just a big, repeating fire piston. The site Wills pointed to has full details.

floodgate