PDA

View Full Version : A better way (for me at least) to pan lube

ghh3rd
01-08-2010, 02:28 PM
I was ready to pan lube about 100 TL boolits today, and lowered the first boolit into the lube to the top lube groove and pulled it out. A nice thin layer of wax stuck to the boolit. I decided to finish the entire batch this way.

After a few, I found a way to eliminate most of the extra drip from the bottom of the boolit. I had a metal spoon in the hot wax, so I just touched the bottom of the boolit to the spoon and could see the drip at the bottom of the boolit run down the warm spoon. There was barely any lube left on the base of the boolit.

There wasn't much excess lube to squeeze off with the sizer, or much to clean off before loading them. There is a nice even amount of lube in all grooves.

This was a whole lot easier than letting them sit in the pan until the wax hardened, using a kake cutter to get them out, and then having a lot of extra wax to keep cleaning from the sizing die.

This technique sort of reminded me of dipping cherries into melted chocolate. It didn't make the job fun, but it sure was a lot less work and went faster.

Randy

Marlin Hunter
01-08-2010, 03:01 PM
I tried that, but had problems holding the boolit without damaging it. I tried tweezers, but the boolits would drop. I tried needle nose pliers, but they left marks on the boolit.

markinalpine
01-08-2010, 03:32 PM
I tried searching this forum, but didn't come up with what I was thinking of, but someone posted an elegant idea. Use appropriately sized vinyl tubing to grab the nose of the boolit. and push it out after dipping with a wooden dowel.

Mark :coffeecom

ps, New term. Dip Lubing. It isn't really pan lubing.:bigsmyl2:

Von Gruff
01-08-2010, 04:40 PM
I have been dip lubing for some time now for one particular bullet. It is a long boreriding 7mm design and has enough length to hold in my fingers. A qiock wipe of the base on the edge of my lub pan and they are set down on an old oven tray. The still soft lube squeezes out from under the base and sticks the bullet upright onto the try. After they are all done I have an unsized cartridge with the base cut off and push each one through nose first which leaves clean base and full grooves. I did this as my lubrisizer die was a thou undersize for what I wanted so lapped a Lee die to suit then needed to lube and this is the solution for me.

Von Gruff.

Catshooter
01-08-2010, 06:28 PM
That's a good solution. Kake cutting sucks.

I have seen one article a guy wrote that he would place all the boolits in his pan, pour the lube in and wait for it to harden.

Then he would pop the cake out and push the boolits out of the cake. My only problem is I don't have a pan that will let the cake come out. Need a better pan.

Cat

Marlin Hunter
01-08-2010, 07:12 PM
That's a good solution. Kake cutting sucks.

I have seen one article a guy wrote that he would place all the boolits in his pan, pour the lube in and wait for it to harden.

Then he would pop the cake out and push the boolits out of the cake. My only problem is I don't have a pan that will let the cake come out. Need a better pan.

Cat

If the lube doesn't stick to the pan, how does it stick to the boolit?

kelbro
01-08-2010, 07:52 PM
If you line the pan with aluminum foil, will the foil peel off the lube easily?

prickett
01-08-2010, 07:54 PM
If the lube doesn't stick to the pan, how does it stick to the boolit?

You use a flexible silicone "pan".

ghh3rd
01-09-2010, 12:11 AM
I was lucky I guess that my tweezers held on just right without any damage to the boolits. I lubed 75 (need a bigger pan), and dropped one into the lube. No big deal - after the others were set aside for further processing, I pulled the one out of the solidified lube and gave it a special "hand rubbed finish" :-)

geargnasher
01-09-2010, 12:21 AM
You use a flexible silicone "pan".

BINGO!

Expensive, but highly effective. Foil and "waxed" paper stick to lube cookies IME.

I really like the vinyl tubing idea for dip lubing, I still have at least one boolit I'd like to try that on.

BTW, I know at least one person here has posted about Dip Lubing with LLA.

Gear

C.F.Plinker
01-09-2010, 12:24 AM
You might try putting aquarium air line tubing on the jaws of a pair of hemostats. Curved jaw hemostats might work better than the straight jaw variety.

BCall
01-09-2010, 12:25 AM
I've dipped a few boolits, but only those with a big enough nose to hold on to. If the lube grooves weren't full, I just dipped it again, just like making a candle. I didn't bother to clean it off, just wiped off the bottom and ran it through a Lee sizer. Had to clean some lube off of the press, but it was no big deal. Billy

BCall
01-09-2010, 12:27 AM
BTW, I know at least one person here has posted about Dip Lubing with LLA.

Gear

Ranchdog had a dip lube process with LLA, and that is what I do with all of his designs. Billy

Dale53
01-09-2010, 12:48 AM
I MUCH prefer to pan lube THIS way:

http://i269.photobucket.com/albums/jj80/Dale53/Q-Eimg052.jpg

http://i269.photobucket.com/albums/jj80/Dale53/Q-Eimg053.jpg

http://i269.photobucket.com/albums/jj80/Dale53/Q-Eimg054.jpg

http://i269.photobucket.com/albums/jj80/Dale53/Q-Eimg055.jpg

http://i269.photobucket.com/albums/jj80/Dale53/Q-Eimg056.jpg

FWIW
Dale53

Gunlaker
01-09-2010, 01:09 AM
If you line the pan with aluminum foil, will the foil peel off the lube easily?

Yep. At least it does with my BP lube.

Chris.