PDA

View Full Version : Airline Ammo Restrictions

missionary5155
01-08-2010, 09:18 AM
Good morning
Is there any restriction of carrying a box of Shotgun Shells in checked baggage ?

223tenx
01-08-2010, 09:31 AM
No offense meant to anyone, but I'd certainly NOT trust anyone except the airlines to answer.

shotman
01-08-2010, 09:36 AM
Mike the rules are changeing hourly . You may call but may be different when you get there. I would mail them.

Texasflyboy
01-08-2010, 09:46 AM
Good morning
Is there any restriction of carrying a box of Shotgun Shells in checked baggage ?

The answer is yes. Carriage of ammunition is restricted to checked bags only. Depending on the airline(s) you fly on for your trip, you will need to ensure that your method of packing complies with each airline on each leg.

Each airline will have posted on its website their general rules for properly packing and declaring ammunition. These rules vary from airline to airline. Some don't care how much you bring, some restrict you to 200rds or less.

But in general, most will say:

1. Has to be in your checked bags.
2. Has to be declared at check in
3. Has to be in a hard sided case or original factory packing. Most frown on using just the standard cardboard box shotgun shells are sold in. It's best to transfer them to a hard sided plastic carrying case.
4. You will need to be able to lock your bag, again, best to have a hard sided locking suitcase vs. a gym bag.

Again, check with your airline(s) as they will have specific requirements.

1874Sharps
01-08-2010, 09:59 AM
The last time I traveled with gun and ammo on the airlines that small amount of ammo (under 10 pounds per person) was OK, but that was about five years ago and is certainly not up-to-date information. I strongly agree with the above posters that the best course of action is to get the info on any restrictions straight from the horse's mouth.

DLCTEX
01-08-2010, 10:31 AM
If you can get a written statement from the airline, take it with you when you check in as many employees do not know the facts. It may save a hassle, but some will stick to their interpretation even when faced with the facts. Last time I flew with guns and ammo Had to be in separate containers, with the guns locked in a secure case. Ammo was in a suitcase with clothing.This was with American Airlines several years ago.

Rocky Raab
01-08-2010, 10:38 AM
You might have to search for it, but every airline has their gun/ammo policy somewhere on their website. Read it, but also PRINT it out and carry it with you. I have had two counter people give opposite opinions about my own gun/ammo on the same flight. It helps to show them their own company's policy in writing.

TSA is separate. What the airline allows might differ from TSA. They'll have it in writing also, but being the government, it will take 1,200 pages and be incomprehensible.

mooman76
01-08-2010, 10:59 AM
Yes like stated. Deffinately check with the airlines. Especially after recent events and the last thing you want is to be jacked up at the airport. It can cause lots of problems.

corvette8n
01-08-2010, 01:02 PM
I beleive ammo has to be in a seperate locked case in checked baggage away from firearms, also in a seperate locked firearms case.

missionary5155
01-08-2010, 01:07 PM
American Airlines states as long as the ammo is in the origonal container/pachage it is OK in CHECKED luggage & up to 11 pounds (5 kilos).
I will copy that and have it with me.
Thanks everyone... This time next week I hope to be in Arequipa, Peru...

MtGun44
01-08-2010, 08:03 PM
max 5 kg, in original packaging or containers specifically made for ammunition, separate from
firearm was not required in 2005 when we flew to SA. Our ammo was split up, but some
was in the same duffel as a couple of handguns. Handguns were in locked hard cases inside
the duffel.

Bill

Three-Fifty-Seven
01-08-2010, 09:07 PM
Also good to check with Peru . . . to see what they let in the country . . . if you haven't already . . .

Have a Blessed trip!

[smilie=s:

MtGun44
01-09-2010, 01:24 PM
An important note. The limit is per person, so each person can have 11 lbs of ammo.
If your wife and kids are going you can get a bunch of extra, if that is required.

Bill

Hickory
01-09-2010, 02:31 PM
My wife and I just returned from San Diego last week, visiting our son at Camp Pendlton. It was the first time I flew since 1969.
I can't say I felt any safer then I did in '69 but it was alright I guess.

When I went through the metal detector it went off, the TSA guy had me stand off to the side and waved a wond around me and came up with a cell phone, mechanical pencil and my belt buckle.
I don't think he believed me when I told him that I hadn't flown since getting out of the Air Force.

He sure was interested in my right leg, his wond kept picking up my new knee. After showing him the scare he let me go.

I'd thought about telling him that when I left the service (1969), I carried on my duffle bag and inside I had an 870 shotgun, broke down and a 357 mag with ammo because I did not want to take the chance that it might get lost before I got home.
But, I decided that the less I said the better.:roll: