PDA

View Full Version : No primer shortage at all

Tazman1602
01-08-2010, 12:37 AM
Because they're all over on gunbroker.com at outrageous prices and most of the time they want you to buy in lots of 5K. Friggin SCALPERS..................

.........ok so I needed some SP magnums and can't believe I bid $43 on them and I'll probably LOSE...............that does include shipping but it's still pretty steep.

But there are primers to be had if you want to pay the price....

Art

rwt101
01-08-2010, 12:56 AM
I got some new off brand for $33.00 a thousand at the last gun show. I have payed as high as $47.00 a thousand.
The hazmet is what gets me when they have to be shipped. I can't buy enough to make it a good buy.
Bob T

Tazman1602
01-08-2010, 01:00 AM
I got some new off brand for $33.00 a thousand at the last gun show. I have payed as high as $47.00 a thousand.
The hazmet is what gets me when they have to be shipped. I can't buy enough to make it a good buy.
Bob T

That's why I didn't think it was too stiff, the price included shipping.....if I had enough money I'd buy 5k worth....

rwt101
01-08-2010, 01:03 AM
That is my problem also. I was not able to stock up before all this started.
Bob T

geargnasher
01-08-2010, 01:07 AM
Just bought a brick of CCI 300 at my local hardware store for $34 +tx today, they are still rationing 100/day even though the shelves are reasonably full, but I had a special order for one brick in since last summer. They just now got the CCIs in, I've been making due with whatever I can get since the "shortage", but it's loosening up a bit.

Gear

mooman76
01-08-2010, 01:10 AM
They're probably trying to get rid of them quick before they loose their butt.

Lee
01-08-2010, 01:15 AM
I pray they lose more than their butt. SCALPERS is putting it nicely........

Throckmorton
01-08-2010, 01:24 AM
I walked into a very small local shop yesterday and they had thousands of primers in some sizes on hand..for THIRTY BUCKS/K !! i bought a thousand lg pistol,would have bught 2 if money wasn't a bit tight.
and yet the big box down the street ..used to be Sportsmans'.. hasn;'t had a primer of a brick of .22's in MONTHS. go figure

Tazman1602
01-08-2010, 01:24 AM
That is my problem also. I was not able to stock up before all this started.
Bob T

Yeah it was just STUPID on my part Bob. Back when Slick Willy and Hitlery were in office I bought 10K of all primers but didn't realize how low I was on these and to tell the truth I never, ever saw things going as bad as they have been. If I had I would have mortgaged the farm 18 months ago and bought 5 million primers and would probably be on my yacht in the Bahama's right now drinking mai-tai's instead of freezing my tush off in Northern Michigan...........<GRIN>

No excuses and it ain't happening again.........

mike in co
01-08-2010, 02:32 AM
I pray they lose more than their butt. SCALPERS is putting it nicely........

still find it strange that when one is on the buying end,,,THEY are scalpers,
but when one is on the selling of a great deal...well nothing wrong with that............

no one made you buy anything at any price.

place an order with a dealer and wait for your primers to come in.

quit whining

i just bought 25k in primers before comming on here.....probably $28/k delivered..they will be here next week.

mike in co

cbrick
01-08-2010, 02:43 AM
I bought 2k Fed 210 and 2k fed 150 a couple of days ago @ $33.00 a brick. Store had them on the shelf.

Rick

rwt101
01-08-2010, 06:33 AM
but when one is on the selling of a great deal...well nothing wrong with that............

quit whining

i just bought 25k in primers before comming on here.....probably $28/k delivered..they will be here next week.

mike in co

That's fine when you have the monry to put out for them. Some people are not able to do that. I know that is all my own fault.
Bob T

mooman76
01-08-2010, 10:17 AM

quit whining

mike in co

No body ever makes you buy anything. I guess that makes it all ok.

Rocky Raab
01-08-2010, 10:49 AM
Let's admit up front that trying to outbid somebody in an auction and then grousing about the price is a bit silly.

Let us also admit that the price of all reloading components has been astronomical for several years. There are many legitimate reasons for that, some of which are easing. But panic buying has NOT eased - nor helped the situation. There can't be scalpers if nobody is willing to pay scalper prices.

Reloading is still about half or less than buying factory ammo. Count that as a blessing, however small. If you cannot afford even that, shoot less or cut back somewhere else.

fourdollarbill
01-08-2010, 10:53 AM
Just before Christmas our local dealer had cci's on sale for $30 from $40. He told me ha has 16 cases of small rifle he wants to dump before the tax man gets it. He was pretty certain that his 2010 order was on track and no delay's. That is good to hear.

Blazin
01-08-2010, 01:40 PM
Right about election time I bought 12k old primers for $125, they all have worked fine so far. I still don't know why he was selling them so cheap. And this deal came right after I had joined a group buy and commited to 15k primers. At the time I didn't even need primers.

Now I'm running low, but I think I can hold out until late 2010 at which time I hope things have improved.

Tazman1602
01-08-2010, 05:45 PM
Mike I'm just curious, why is it you always have something smart aleck to say to people who have a different point of view than yourself?

No disrespect, no harm intended, you just come across as really grumpy sometimes.

And what WILL you sell those primers for as long as there's a shortage?

Many Thanks,

Art
<flame on>

quit whining

mike in co

Tazman1602
01-08-2010, 05:49 PM
Hey Rocky,

I haven't heard anyone grousing about being outbid on anything, especially me. I set a price and walk away.

Yes, I understand supply and demand but I still don't like paying $3/gallon for gasoline that costs about $.50/gallon to make. Same thing.

I don't like $4/gallon milk either and I complain about that too.

Art

Let's admit up front that trying to outbid somebody in an auction and then grousing about the price is a bit silly.

phishfood
01-08-2010, 06:13 PM
Well, the last time I checked all of the various websites, there at least were some primers to be had. Not every type of every brand, but if you looked around you could find every type.

A local gun store has had most types of primers in stock throughout last year, but I just can't justify paying $55 a thousand for LP. I will have to do something soon, though, as I am down to ~ 100 primed cases. Having just got my reloading operation up and running, it would stink to have to stop shooting again.

johnlaw484
01-08-2010, 06:19 PM
Powder is not easy to find either.

mike in co
01-08-2010, 06:26 PM
Mike I'm just curious, why is it you always have something smart aleck to say to people who have a different point of view than yourself?

No disrespect, no harm intended, you just come across as really grumpy sometimes.

And what WILL you sell those primers for as long as there's a shortage?

Many Thanks,

Art
<flame on>

in this case,maybe because i make my living in this industry. i sell brass for a living, but i am also a stag arms dealer(non -ffl), sell powder on special order, and primers when i can get them.
i'm tired of people calling everyone selling primers sclapers, scum and stuff like that.
paying stupid prices in an auction, and then complaining about it...is just plain silly.
my cost on primers went up significantly.....the price listed above is my aprox cost delivered....
and why is my opinion "smart aleck" remark ?

i sell primers for aprox 32-35/k. they are all for sale...i have not bought any primers for personal use in over a year....and i still have plenty on the shelf..

Three-Fifty-Seven
01-08-2010, 08:00 PM
Since I was going into town (Tucson 80+mi away!) I decided to look for some more SP primers . . . 2nd Amendment had Rem for $4.99 a sleeve (100) but when I asked him how about 1000 or 2000, he said that they only sold them by the 100, and they only had 1400, but he would sell me 1000 for 49.90 + tax! (but he really did not want to sell me that many)

I then started calling around, and found Thunderstick had Magnatech, Wolf, Fed . . . but only sold them 1000 per customer! The Fed SP were $33.95 + Tax ($2.75) . . . So . . . I sent my wife in, while I walked the dog . . . then we switched, and she walked the dog, and I went in and got my 1000, but I saw they also had CCI which I liked better, so I got those, same price as the Fed's . . . They have quite a bunch of powder to choose from too . . . I was there 3 weeks ago and bought a bunch of powder, and some Win LP primers $33.95 per 1000.

runfiverun
01-08-2010, 09:32 PM
the 33 range is gonna be the new price get used to it, and about 40 for the match.
if you don't like the prices go elsewhere.
i drive 3 hrs to get things because i don't like the prices,or availability around me.
save up and go buy in bulk.

Tazman1602
01-08-2010, 09:46 PM
Fair enough Mike, I do understand your position and meant no offense to you with this thread at all.

The "smart aleck" thing is just the way I take you sometimes I guess -- I'm not sensitive or any of that krap it's just the way the posts come across to me. If I offended you I do apologize and no I don't kiss butt nor am I PC, I just try to be a nice guy after almost dying awhile back is all.

You DO have a point about price though, as long as people are willing to pay the price that's the way it goes.

Respects,

Art

in this case,maybe because i make my living in this industry. i sell brass for a living, but i am also a stag arms dealer(non -ffl), sell powder on special order, and primers when i can get them.
i'm tired of people calling everyone selling primers sclapers, scum and stuff like that.
paying stupid prices in an auction, and then complaining about it...is just plain silly.
my cost on primers went up significantly.....the price listed above is my aprox cost delivered....
and why is my opinion "smart aleck" remark ?

i sell primers for aprox 32-35/k. they are all for sale...i have not bought any primers for personal use in over a year....and i still have plenty on the shelf..

AZ-Stew
01-08-2010, 11:07 PM
Powder is not easy to find either.

Cabela's in Phoenix (OK, it's Glendale) had quite a bit of everything New Year's day when I was in. The only thing he said they had a hard time getting was small pistol. They were encouraging sales of 1K at a time. $33 and change/K, $4.99/hundred. CCI Benchrest were higher.

I bought a pound of H4895 for $23 and high change. They had most powders in stock. No shortage of J bullets, either.

Regards,

Stew

rwt101
01-09-2010, 12:07 AM
Small pistol is what I have a hard time getting.
Cabella, Grafs, Gamamiel, Midway, Midsouth has none. Widners has PMC.
Bob T

leadman
01-09-2010, 12:30 AM
There are lots of primers listed on Backpage here in Phoenix. $30+ to $40+. Don't know if there is delivery available.

dualsport
01-09-2010, 01:08 AM
I think the scalpers are going to fall behind on their yacht payments soon. Even the Great Depression ended. I predict primers at under $100/5000 by summer. I have a crystal ball. ARs and parts have dropped very dramatically in a matter of months. Components will follow. Hang in there guys.

Frozone
01-09-2010, 01:16 AM
No real shortages here. Still a little iffy on what's instock at any given time, shelves are almost full but not every thing, all the time. What was the best place (Sportsman's Warehouse) is Mighty proud of their stuff! A number of the local gun-shops are better priced.
Powder is ~ $26 /lbs, primers are available @ ~ $33 /k (Sportsman's warehouse is asking $40+ however) and I got 2K CCI LP for $57 at what is usually the most expensive place in town.
No limit on purchases either.

NavyEngineer
01-09-2010, 11:35 AM
I have been buying Wolf primers from Wideners.com. About $29 a thousand, and they have most of the common sizes in stock most of the time. There is a $22.50 HAZMAT fee, so I usually buy at least 5 or 6 thousand. That makes it cheaper than most other places for me, and my last order got here three days after I ordered.

bbq223
01-09-2010, 08:44 PM
TNTreloading.com for primers!

rwt101
01-09-2010, 08:59 PM
TNTreloading.com for primers!

Just went to there site and none available.
Bob T

Three-Fifty-Seven
01-09-2010, 11:18 PM
Bob T

I went there (TNT) this morning, and everything is out of stock, as far as primers go . . .I bought a bunch of powder from them back in the summer, good deal, and quick shipping, would buy from them again.

Tazman1602
01-09-2010, 11:47 PM
Bob T

Ditto..............

rwt101
01-09-2010, 11:50 PM
During the summer I ordered some powder and primers from them. I did not get a response back confirming it. Then I tried calling and they were not taking calls. Tried email and told them to cancel, still nothing. But I was never charged.

So I was not too happy.
Bob T