PDA

View Full Version : WT Borrow 1/2 x 28 or 14x1mm barrel thread tools

yotatrd4x4
01-07-2010, 07:21 PM
Does anyone have the barrel threading tool set that has the threading die, die alightment tool, and the die handle that would let me borrow it to thread my SAR-1 barrel? I can give a deposit or work out some kind of renting payment if you have it. thanks PM me please if you can work out a deal.

yondering
01-07-2010, 09:19 PM
If you don't have any takers, you can get 1/2-28 taps and dies from JTS Machine for ~$15 each. I don't know what your capabilities are, so that may or may not be helpful to you.

richbug
01-07-2010, 10:30 PM
To do it properly you need a lathe. Bullet strikes right in front of your face are no fun.

Herb in Pa
01-07-2010, 10:48 PM
To do it properly you need a lathe. Bullet strikes right in front of your face are no fun.

A threaded die would make the threads concentric to the barrel OD, but the threads need to be concentric to the bore, thus the need for a lathe as Richbug states.

yotatrd4x4
01-09-2010, 04:19 AM
A lathe is not required with the threaded alignment tool that fits into the 30 cal bore and has striaght threads on it to start the die straight on the barrel. I asked if someone has some I can borrow no lathe required I did my research and know a lathe is of no use for my ak

Herb in Pa
01-09-2010, 12:02 PM
A flash suppressor shouldn't be a problem, but a sound suppressor wouldn't be a good idea!

gds
01-09-2010, 02:39 PM
I have the 14 1 left hand set to include the special die wrench PM me.

Used it to thread a Norinco SKS worked great with a lot of oil.

Willbird
01-09-2010, 04:11 PM
A lathe is not required with the threaded alignment tool that fits into the 30 cal bore and has striaght threads on it to start the die straight on the barrel. I asked if someone has some I can borrow no lathe required I did my research and know a lathe is of no use for my ak

Actually there is at least one guy that threads a LOT of muzzles without removing the barrels on all kinds of rifles. Tornado technologies maybe ?? He has built a jig to hold a barreled action in his lathe.

One could also jig the gun up in a vertical knee mill like a Bridgeport and turn the barrel with a boring head, then run the die on it perfectly square.

Where there is a will there is a way.

Bill