PDA

View Full Version : Sizing time !

PDshooter
04-26-2005, 08:28 PM
Well a got a couple of hours in casting. Now comes the fun part ;-) Sizing them!
this part I really do not like todo. http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v292/PDshooter/casting/Sizing.jpg

Most of the time.......I just size them before I load them.

mroliver77
04-26-2005, 09:53 PM
Nice pile o boolits. I just got a Star sizer a couple months back. It is so fast! It is little priceyer than the orange and green ones but it is worth it to me. Jay

PDshooter
04-26-2005, 10:44 PM
What did it cost ?

slughammer
04-26-2005, 10:55 PM
Try using shoe box lids to place the sized and lubed boolits into rows. Doesn't take any longer now, but pays off when it comes time to reload.

(Think about it, you had to orient each boolit to place in the sizer, why do it again when you reload?)

old gunner
04-30-2005, 09:34 PM
For the past 3 years I have not sized any of My cast boolits, I use Lee liquid alox, and shoot as cast. Let the barrel size them, saves time. But on a more serious note, My molds and alloy mix have been close to the desired size.
This method works very well in My single shot 45-70.

Willbird
05-01-2005, 08:32 AM
I tried that liquid earwax, and no matter how thin a coating I used it built up in the boolit seater die and made the overall length shorter, and shorter, and shorter.

Bill

mroliver77
05-01-2005, 05:56 PM
Pdshooter. I bought my Star used on EBay. About $150 with shipping. I got two dies with it also. I am very pleased with it. lubing/sizing used to be a bottleneck and now I cant seem to find enough boolits to size. Others claim they are twice as fast as a Lyman or RCBS. I think prolly even faster in my case. Only thing is you cant bump/resize noses as they are straight through.I have the Lyman for that and want an RCBS as they are stronger.
When I started shooting pistol I used Alox and had the same problem as Willbird. It built up in my dies and overall length changed. Everything had alox coating after a while. I do use it for short supplies and testing yet. Jay

old gunner
05-01-2005, 07:28 PM
I have not had a problem with a buildup of alox in the seating die.
I use the lube very sparingly, and let it dry for a couple of days, and leading is
non existant, this is with mild to moderate loads.
Bill

BOOM BOOM
05-02-2005, 12:43 AM
HI,
I have the same problem w/ lube build up in seating dies, basicly I just back out the seating screw a 1/2 turn every 25 or so rounds untill I have to take the die apart & clean it. It's a pain but I have no other solution. Happens w/ both rifle & pistol.
Maybe I use too much lube.

utk
05-02-2005, 11:13 AM
I bought a Dillon .38/.357 seater for my Aloxed boolits. Very easy to pop out the seater for cleaning without changing any settings. Takes but a few seconds - hold your hand under the die and pull the clip. Catch the insert and remove the seater plug by pushing out the crosspin.
I now have a Star sizer so Alox is history for those boolits.
Same thing with the crimper - pull the clip and let the crimp insert drop for cleaning. And the profile for the crimper begins with a taper and ends in a rollcrimp, Dillon calls it "Accu-crimp", IIRC.
I "think" this is very good because it centers the case before the roll begins. With other dies (RCBS and LEE), I have observed that the roll crimp sometimes is uneven.

Urban