PDA

View Full Version : Back in the day...

watkibe
01-05-2010, 11:57 PM
I have been keeping my hoarded bricks of primers in reserve, and I'm using up all my assorted old primers first.
Last night I ran across 3 boxes of 100 that still had the price tags on them. 2 were $1.29, and 1 was $1.49... Back then I could buy them by the hundred, because I knew there were always more at the store!

Beekeeper
01-06-2010, 10:48 AM
Last night I had a walk down memory lane!
All of my reloading gear is stored on shelves as I only have a 2 car garage and due to local regs have to keep all of my cars inside .
As I was getting some things down and moving others around I found an ammo can I did not remember.
As I opened it a lot of memories came back. 40 plus years ago I had to make a decision , Guns or Family! I chose family and carefully put all of my gear away in ammo cans with desicant and aparently completely forgot this particular can.

Inside was 2 bricks of large rifle primers and an unopened can of IMR3031.
I do not remember these items and I am sure the can has followed me around the world a couple of times during my time in the Navy.

The thing I found most amaxing was the price tags, they were still there!
CCI large rifle primers from Weisers Sporting Goods in National city Ca. $.65 per hundred
IMR 3031 from the Navy Exchange in San Diego Ca. $1.25 per pound
The can is un opened and still sealed.

Seeing them brought a lot of memories of matches and hunting all those years ago and made me wonder where I would be today if I had made the decision the other way.

Jim

watkibe
01-06-2010, 10:13 PM
HOLY COW ! IMR 3031 for $1.25 ! That's unheard of, even back then. The best powder deal I ever saw was pounds of 4831 in brown paper bags for $5 each...Of course for that price, you didn't know which 4831 it was, IMR or H...

454PB
01-06-2010, 11:19 PM
When I started handloading about 1969, primers were 39 cents per hundred, and I bought surplus H-4831 in 1 lb. paper bags for $1.

I still have some of the old Hodgdon cardboard containers of HS-5 with a $3.99 price tag, and a 1000 count box of Sierra .30 cal. gas checks marked $1.75.

JMtoolman
01-07-2010, 12:05 AM
I have a can of Bullseye setting on the shelf that I am using, the price on the front of it is $2.59. The toolman.

geargnasher
01-07-2010, 12:07 AM
I haven't been doing this for as long as some of you, but I do still have most of a brick of Remington Large Rifle primers marked "$1.19" from Zeo's sporting goods in Menard, TX., They were old when they were given to me nearly 20 years ago.

Gear

Springfield
01-07-2010, 12:10 AM
You have to park your car in the garage? That's just crazy. If I did that I wouldn't have any reloading or casting area, or a place for my toolboxes, or mini-lathe, one of the gunsafes....

geargnasher
01-07-2010, 12:16 AM
I'm waiting for someone to post "Back in my day, we didn't have no stinkin' primers. We had to make our own, out of flint, by hammering two rocks together. Powder? We had to make that too, out of bat guano, yellow sulfur nodules and cave-fire charcoal. Shot it out of hollowed-out mammoth bones, too, and we could hit pteradactals at 1,000 yards. " or something like that......:bigsmyl2:

Gear

Bullshop Junior
01-07-2010, 12:24 AM
All of my reloading gear is stored on shelves as I only have a 2 car garage and due to local regs have to keep all of my cars inside .
As I was getting some things down and moving others around I found an ammo can I did not remember.
As I opened it a lot of memories came back. 40 plus years ago I had to make a decision , Guns or Family! I chose family and carefully put all of my gear away in ammo cans with desicant and aparently completely forgot this particular can.

I do not remember these items and I am sure the can has followed me around the world a couple of times during my time in the Navy.

CCI large rifle primers from Weisers Sporting Goods in National city Ca. $.65 per hundred

Seeing them brought a lot of memories of matches and hunting all those years ago and made me wonder where I would be today if I had made the decision the other way.

Jim
Parking cars inside?
We don't even have a place to park one of our rigs. Every thing sits out side.

dualsport
01-07-2010, 02:19 AM
The garage is for motorcycles, everybody knows that. The spare bedroom is for guns and reloading.

mike in co
01-07-2010, 02:39 AM

Jim

we use to buy at the same stores and you want me to put you on my ignore list...no way

( my winchester 67a came from the navy exchange in 1957 or so....$16)

where do you shoot ??
and the store on morena blvd ?

mike in co

mike in co
01-07-2010, 02:43 AM
When I started handloading about 1969, primers were 39 cents per hundred, and I bought surplus H-4831 in 1 lb. paper bags for $1.

I still have some of the old Hodgdon cardboard containers of HS-5 with a $3.99 price tag, and a 1000 count box of Sierra .30 cal. gas checks marked $1.75.

i have two one pound cans of h4831...one says 75c, the other $1......

Buckshot
01-07-2010, 03:25 AM
Heck, I just had to get into some of my newer primers :coffee:

http://www.fototime.com/F0A8AA16719CB5B/standard.jpghttp://www.fototime.com/6F0494922BE770D/standard.jpg

...............Buckshot

mike in co
01-07-2010, 12:12 PM
buckshot,

i sold all my "new"(wooden tray) primers during the GREAT PRIMMER SHORTAGE of '09...

mike in co

smoked turkey
01-07-2010, 12:21 PM
I enjoyed the brief walk down memory lane. I am taken back to reality because just yesterday I went to our local gun shop and purchased 1000 large pistol primers...$36. Oh well the economy has to go on I guess. I need pyrodex and since it was $22 I left it.

Beekeeper
01-07-2010, 12:31 PM
I only recently found a range to shoot at.
It is called the North County Shootist Association on the Pala Indian Reservation.
Until then I have been driving 2 or 3 hours to the desert to shoot whenever I could get the Daughter to stay with my wife (not very often)
Due to the war effort there is no more recreational shooting on any military base around here.
Even the military teams have to go to civilian ranges to practice.
They are at Pala 2 days each week (all day)

Mike In the same can I found a 1 lb quart paper ice cream carton of Green dot.
Still sealed.Do you remember when Weisers sold bulk shotgun powder?

Jim

Beekeeper
01-07-2010, 12:39 PM
Smoked turkey,
At $22 you are getting a bargin.
The only place I have found that sells BP is Duncans Gunworks in Escondido Ca.
1 can of FFG goex was $38.00 and when I asked why so much ,answer was everyone has to pay for hazmat. So $18.00 for the powder and $20.00 for the hazmat

I bought 1 lb so I could say I shot my 577 Snider. I think I will put the rest on a shelf and put a ribbon around it and make a shrine out of it because at that price I sure ain't gonna shoot anymore of it.

Jim

Beekeeper
01-07-2010, 12:41 PM
Buckshot,
Mine are CCI's instead of Westerns but same boxes with the little wooden trays

Jim

Beekeeper
01-07-2010, 12:44 PM
gearnasher,
It's OK you can go ahead and post it.We won't laugh I promise.
I didn't realize you were old enough to remember the good ol times!!

Jim

AZ-Stew
01-07-2010, 04:43 PM
I bought a couple of guns at Weisers back in the 70s. A Ruger Mk II .22 auto pistol and a stainless Security Six. Both are long gone now. The best powder deal I ever got was a case (10 1lb cans) of H-335 I bought from a shop in the eastern LA basin in the late 70s. $35 for the case, making the cans $3.50. I still have about a pound and a half of it. I have some Speer Silver Match .224 52gr HPFB bullets I bought while I was stationed in Virginia, but I think the price tag came off. Then ther's the box of 100 Winchester .224 52gr HPBT Match bullets with the price tag reading somewhere in the high $3 range. Got them from the same shop where I got the Silver Match. I also have a BUNCH of the old Herter's slip-top plastic ammo boxes for both rifle and handgun that ran, I think, about $0.10/ea. Those were a great value, too.

Regards,

Stew

MtGun44
01-07-2010, 04:46 PM
Back in the day of 4831 in brown paper bags, there was only ONE "4831", made by
IMR for the military in WW2 and sold to civilians as surplus by Bruce Hodgdon. No problem
knowing "which" 4831 is was, it was the ONLY 4831.

Bill

gray wolf
01-07-2010, 04:54 PM
Wow you have a garage.
Proly got one a dem dish washer things and carpet on the floor.

16x26 cabin--wood shed--garden--guns --powder--lead-- Wife and a Malamute.
Dirt driveway--dirt road and a 1994 dodge truck.
Deer meet and moose meet. And lest I forget 5 1/2 months of freeking snow.
Ahh thank you Jesus I am blessed.

Oh and yes I to remember the prices--40--50--60cents for a huned primers.
Boy have we been snookered. Change in your pocket had some silver in it to.
Doctor visit was $5.00 AND HE CAME TO THE HOUSE.
Yes we have come a long way--------------------------------------------------------------
Box a 30/30's was less than a pack a smokes are today--but then a-lot of things are.
13 -14 years old my Pal and I would get all our stuff put it on our back guns and all . we would ride the bus and the train and then hitch hike to the mountains to go huntin. we would et what we shot. food was to heavy to carry. Got my first 300 Savage at 15. walked in laid my federal reserve notes down and walked out. Got on the bus and went home.
Guess it took about 3 weeks to convince the folks I really needed it.
You may not believe this but I took it to school to brag it up.
Yes we have come a long way----------------------------------------
Ah the good old days.

GW.

Beekeeper
01-07-2010, 07:12 PM
Stew, Weisers no longer exists.
Was driving through National City Ca a month or so ago and nothing is the same as the old days.

GrayWolf,
Nothing is the same as it was back when we were young and never will be again.
All the tree huggers have taken over and are trying to take everything away from us.
Had coyotes in the neighborhood recently (dining on Cat).
Homeowners up in arms wanting them shot.
Police said "no can do" protected in Ca. in certain areas, this being one.
Had one of the do gooders ask me if I would get a permit to shoot them.
Asked him if he would loan me his cat for bait.
He doesn't talk to me anymore and tells the rest of his tree hugging friends I am a detriment to the neighborhood because I own guns.

Jim

mike in co
01-07-2010, 07:33 PM
Had one of the do gooders ask me if I would get a permit to shoot them.
Asked him if he would loan me his cat for bait.

Jim

ROTFLMAO...........!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

cats do make good moving targets.....

mike in co
01-07-2010, 07:44 PM
try san diego fish and game
out in el cajon some where

in delzura is the south bay rod and gun club

i still have some of the 52 silver speer match bullets i bought when i lived in idaho falls, id.(used to buy my reloading supplies at the savon drug store)

how about kasners down town san diego, with all the guns in the basement ?

sorry to see Weisers go. they got backdoored by the anti gun people, the fire department passed a "rule" on how much powder was allowed in the store.....no powder for sale, not reloading business.( the fire reg, was not voted on by the public and was based on blackpowder data, not smokeless powder....just one more reason why i do not live in kalifornia any more)

mike

Buckshot
01-08-2010, 12:15 AM
I only recently found a range to shoot at.
It is called the North County Shootist Association on the Pala Indian Reservation.
Until then I have been driving 2 or 3 hours to the desert to shoot ...............

Jim

..........Jon K lives just north of Pala and shoots there all time in their various BP and smokless/cast competitions. He's trying to get me and Gopher Slayer to come down and join in the festivities. I'm thinking the levergun silhuette and the Cast military rifle match would be fun. More the military rifle match as he said it starts around 11 or so.

Heck, we could use our Sniders:-D We wouldn't hit anything but it'd be a load of laughs:drinks:

..............Buckshot