PDA

View Full Version : Mica Powder

mecoastie
05-29-2006, 11:55 AM
What is mica powder used for in casting? I found 25 jars of it in a box I had. I think it is for casting but I dont know why. Is it worth anything?

versifier
05-29-2006, 11:59 AM
It's main use in casting is to coat boolits that have been lubed with Liquid Alox so they can be handled sooner and less messily. It's also the best lube for inside case necks during fl resizing.

Any luck finding some ww's?

Leftoverdj
05-29-2006, 03:08 PM
What size jars? It's certainly worth a little something because folks are always looking for powdered mica. Midway gets $8.39 for four ounces and $20.99 for a pound.

MT Gianni
05-29-2006, 08:13 PM
Post it for sale in swapping and selling if they are more than you can use. Lots of soft lubes benefit in handling if a slight coating of mica is aplied after lubing and before loading. Gianni.

mecoastie
05-29-2006, 08:51 PM
The mica is about 2-3 oz per jar and the jars say Silver Slick Mica on them. How do I use it? I might be interested in trading some once I figure out how much I will use it.

As for the ww's no luck yet. Seems all the shops have dealers that come every week and pick up. I have offered to do the same but no bites so far.

Flash
05-29-2006, 10:46 PM
The mica can be dusted on the bullets like you'd dust powdered sugar on french toast or, use a "Q" tip to dust the inside of the case necks on your rifle ammo before bullet seating. Mica is an excelent dry lubricant where powder or primer contamination would be an issue. The caveat is that Mica is like tiny microscopic razor blades so it will scar lung tissue. A respirator is advised for dusting bullets.

Four Fingers of Death
05-30-2006, 12:41 AM
i used it forcase necks when sizing, works well. Just put some in the upturned bottle cap and holding the case between the thumb and middle finger, 'dip' the case neck into the mica, pull it out and tap lightly with your index finger, shaking off the excess. Then size the case. Easy peasy. You have enough to last you two lifetimes I'm thinking.

Leftoverdj
05-30-2006, 08:54 AM
Mick, even easier is to mix the mica with birdshot in a shallow container. You can do 5-6 cases at a time and the birdshot takes off the surplus as it drops free.

Four Fingers of Death
05-30-2006, 06:09 PM
I must try that, have a tiny bit left. Igot some cable pulling lube the other day which we were talking about on another thread, if that works I won't bother.

yodar
05-30-2006, 08:02 PM
Originally was used in engine manufacture to make parts fitting easier as in pistons etc

LOOK FOR MOTOR-MICA as a product, They sell it in cans that would last you and the whole list FOREVER

Industrial supply houses sell it

I got mine at western auto years ago

Yodar