PDA

View Full Version : Cast animal getters

Von Gruff
01-05-2010, 07:13 PM
Well I have got my 7x57 sorted for hunting meat with a cast softnose.
Load is 160gn / 39gn H4350 / WLR at 2415fps

I went to the range this morning to zero a 2-7 Leupold for a proposed hunt in the next couple of weeks. when I had the scope sorted I put up a fresh target at 110 yds ( Iknow it is an unusual distance but it is from before I had a rangefinder and the target and bench positions are now organised) I fired two shots with straight lino which are the two top rounds and the other four are from the reject softnose box as they had a few surface voids and have put one in the pic to show. They shot so well the rest have gone back into the hunting box.

http://i667.photobucket.com/albums/vv39/VonGruff/7x57castSN002.jpg

This is what the remaining ones from the hunting box are like and while have quite a few ready the "rejects"will add another 15 to what is available.

http://i667.photobucket.com/albums/vv39/VonGruff/7x57castSN004.jpg

Will ring a run holder this week and seek permission to chase a few goats. The load should be good out to 250 although most shots on this property have been in the under 200yd down to 40yd category.

Von Gruff.

MT Gianni
01-05-2010, 10:01 PM
Good luck with it. Look forward to a report.

OBXPilgrim
01-05-2010, 10:20 PM
Very enlightening. I'm one of the worst for tossin' boolits with visual flaws, even though I've heard others talk about no loss of accuracy with them.

I guess one day I'll test them out myself.

Nrut
01-06-2010, 01:53 AM
VG
I can see where you sized down your noses esp. on the left round in the bottom photo..
Also appears that you neck size your cases.. How much neck tension do you use?
You are getting a very good usable vel. with a nice weight boolit in the 7X57.
You should see Nosler Partition performance on game with that unit..
Good enough for moose or elk..

Good luck on your hunt..

Bullshop Junior
01-06-2010, 02:01 AM
You need to send me some of them to try on alaska game in my 7mm/08....

Nice.

Von Gruff
01-07-2010, 12:32 AM
VG
I can see where you sized down your noses esp. on the left round in the bottom photo..
Also appears that you neck size your cases.. How much neck tension do you use?
You are getting a very good usable vel. with a nice weight boolit in the 7X57.
You should see Nosler Partition performance on game with that unit..
Good enough for moose or elk..

Good luck on your hunt..
I do neck size my cases in Wilson dies to give 1 1/2 - 2 thou tension. 316 bushing, (1/2 thou springback) Graff brass neck turned to 0165 ( very thick neck brass to start - .018) Bullet .2855. Had to try lots of different combinations to find this one that works so well. I believe you are right in its performance ability out to 200 - 250yds think it would do the business on anything I would take the 7x57 against. With this loading and the 120gn GS Custom HV bullet at 3235 I have it just about covered.. I rang the station owner and we are off up country next weekend.

Von Gruff.