PDA

View Full Version : .50 caliber velocity ?

buckweet
01-04-2010, 06:50 PM
hi guy's i know this question , is probly a no-answer question, till we know what load and powder this barrl likes.

i've a .50 caliber GM barrel on its way here, with 1:72 twist, it's 42 inches long,

anyone have one of these ? what velocity do you thinks i can expect from this barrel ?

i thinks , it should hit 1400fps ?

be good for elk ?

mr. grizz ? moose ?

with PRB's

tim

BruceB
01-04-2010, 07:23 PM
buckweet, amigo;

In our custom .50 flintlock, 34" barrel and 1:66 twist, 100 grains of FFg chronographs at 1990 fps.
This is well above your 1400 fps figure. That 1:72" twist restricts your rifle to round-ball loads, as I suspect you're well aware.

With the .490" ball weighing-in at about 180 grains (I think), that's a full .30-30 equivalent load at close range.

Any elk that collects one of these in a vital zone inside 100 yards will be literally meat on the table. I'd restrict it to broadside shots only, though, and try to avoid the heavier bones.

Boz330
01-04-2010, 07:29 PM
It ought to do 1400 pretty easy. I would stick to whitetails with a 50 RB gun. It will kill what you listed if they are close enough, but that RB bleeds energy pretty rapidly past 50yd. The 62 or even a 58 carries a lot more energy at 100yds than the 50. You have to remember that an elk and moose are 5 to 10 times the weight of a whitetail. As far as Grizz I would sure want someone as a back up with a really big HP rifle. While he might die from a 50 cal hit he will have eaten you and eliminated you from his system by that time.:shock:

Bob

Potsy
01-04-2010, 08:00 PM
My .50 RB gun hits 1800 with 90grn FFG. 1700 with 85grn. FFG.
Works fine for deer. Death on Groundhogs. Will hull squirells in half.
Can't comment on Elk, Moose, or Griz, but I'd start thinkin' pretty hard about .54's with elk and .62's (and up) for Griz. Though I'm sure a .50 ball has probably killed several of each.

357maximum
01-04-2010, 09:10 PM
My .50 H&A style underhammer does 1873fps with a patched roundball over 95 grains of wano3f ........28 inch G.M 1/72 twist barrel....PRB over a 1/8 X 9/16 lubed felt "gascheck" .

The same load stack does close to 2k with 120grains of wano 2f...but is a little lively and less accurate in that light frame H&A. I would not be afraid to punch an elk/moose size critter with that load inside 100 yards...grizzlies.....now that there I would have to ponder a bit...done pondering...I want a 58 or 62 for something that is willing/able to kill me back.

dualsport
01-04-2010, 10:38 PM
Grizz? You're kidding, right?. I hunted a few times with a guy that built beautiful muzzleloaders from scratch. He insisted on pig hunting with a .36 or something like that. It ended up a bad deal. Remember the old saying, "Use enough gun". With a round ball I wouldn't consider anything less than a .54 for elk, more is better. A lot depends on range and shot placement. No good reason not to try a conical in that GM barrel. Might be good enough accuracy for hunting, you never know 'til you try.

Blammer
01-04-2010, 10:45 PM
my 50 cal Lyman Plains rifle 80gr FFG and a RB I get 1660 fps, 24" brl I think

buckweet
01-05-2010, 01:45 AM
thanks guys, i've also gotten a .62 barrel on order.

no... im not going to shoot mr. grizz with a .50

maybe like you say, a .62 or bigger.

anoth rifle i have plans for is a old lyman trade rifle, .50cal, wanting to maybe ? go .72cal and a mule ear lock.

just saying. :)

dualsport
01-05-2010, 03:47 PM
Now you got me thinking. Where do you get these barrels? I have a nice bunch of OTC muzzleloaders with factory barrels, a .72 sounds like fun. Always wanted a smoothbore TC, but missed that boat. Maybe I could get one for one of my Hawkens

buckweet
01-05-2010, 11:14 PM
Now you got me thinking. Where do you get these barrels? I have a nice bunch of OTC muzzleloaders with factory barrels, a .72 sounds like fun. Always wanted a smoothbore TC, but missed that boat. Maybe I could get one for one of my Hawkens

i called Ed Rayl, he makes barrel's

colerain barrel co. also, and rice barrel co.

several out there, colerain makes a turkey barrel.

buckweet
01-08-2010, 05:58 PM
ok.... im kicking this around some more.... some of you guys are pushing almost 2k outta a patched round ball...
with shorter barrel's than mine.
so ? maybe like fire and iron say's, a harder alloy, ball... in my 42'' 1-72 barrel ? should be a screamer.

buckweet
01-10-2010, 02:57 AM
impressive numbers, guys.

thanks

Geraldo
01-10-2010, 10:22 AM

Look around for Green Mountain drop-in barrels. I've got a few of them for TCs, both rifled and smoothbore.

buckweet
01-10-2010, 12:12 PM
well... as all of you have, i've read several thoughts/posts of how the .50 caliber is somewhat ''?'' of the ''min'' for whitetail deer. but we've seen the pictures of .357max, to prove otherwise.
because of the general belief, that the .50 starts running outta steam pretty fast after 50 yards,
but to lay that to rest, i've killed a few deer with my pop's old lyman, but granted they was ''under'' 50 yards, only one was out there about 75 yards.
so i got interested in in the ''momentum formula'' with this long 42'' 1-72 barrel. . sounds reasonable to me ? push this .50 caliber as fast as i can, within its accuracy zone, and have both, speed and momentum.
out to and past 100 yards.
should dang near knock em off their feets.

Potsy
01-10-2010, 02:15 PM
I went to Hornady's website and ran a .50 roundball with a B.C. of .068 and a velocity of 1900fps. I used a sight height of .5".
@ 50 yards the bullet was running 1414fps., 1093fps @ 100, and 836fps @ 200.
BTW, the drop was 26" @ 200 yards with a 100 yard sight in.
In other words, at 200 yards, that ball is still carrying the swat of a heavy loaded .38 Special at the muzzle with whole lot more diameter.
I'm not saying it's RESPONSIBLE to use a .50 ball on game @ 200 yards; I'm saying the ball should definitely be CAPABLE once it gets there.

buckweet
01-10-2010, 03:28 PM
I went to Hornady's website and ran a .50 roundball with a B.C. of .068 and a velocity of 1900fps. I used a sight height of .5".
@ 50 yards the bullet was running 1414fps., 1093fps @ 100, and 836fps @ 200.
BTW, the drop was 26" @ 200 yards with a 100 yard sight in.
In other words, at 200 yards, that ball is still carrying the swat of a heavy loaded .38 Special at the muzzle with whole lot more diameter.
I'm not saying it's RESPONSIBLE to use a .50 ball on game @ 200 yards; I'm saying the ball should definitely be CAPABLE once it gets there.

potsy !! now thats just some awsome information !!!
you da' man !
makes me thinks the ol' ''big fifty'' aint such a slouch after all.:drinks:

01-10-2010, 05:00 PM
An anecdote doesn't prove a thing and you can't prove a negative. Not too long ago the standing record black bear in MI had been killed with a 25-20!

My anecdote (from 35 years ago) about the 50 RB as a hunting round doesn't prove or disprove anything either it just demonstrates what can go wrong. With the soft or pure lead RB I came to the conclusion long ago that velocity is not the magic that many portray it to be and it may even be that high velocity can be an enemy of clean kills with that type projectile.

I was deer hunting with a fellow using a 50 cal TC "Hawken" shooting RBs. He was using 90 gr of FFg BP behind the RB. He shot a medium sized deer at 45 yards broadside. The deer ran off. It stumbled at the shot and was obviously hit. He did not recover the deer. Two weeks later that fellow was hunting with another friend of his. The second fellow killed a deer in the same area. The deer antlers matched perfectly the antlers of the shot-and-lost deer. When skinning, cleaning they found a large area of infection around the shoulder on the same side that the lost deer was shot on. They found a RB smashed like a pancake up against the shoulder blade. I had a chance to look at the deer and the RB before it was taken home. There was no doubt it was the same deer. The lead "pancake" was later weighed- almost exactly 180 grs. There is no doubt, in my mind at least, that at high impact velocity, the soft 50 RB can deform to roughly the shape and relative thickness of a 100 cal 180 gr pancake of lead. If it hits bone even the relatively thin flat bone of a med sized deer's shoulder blade it may not penetrate at all! Estimated total penetration in the above case was about 3 inches of hide and muscle.... no bone penetration. An odd angle shot would obviously be even more uncertain with the RB at the higher velocities. A RB placed into the heart lung area of that sized animal and missing all bones except maybe a rib would likely be a good, lethal, clean killing shot. Results of other, poorer angle hits most likely become even less certain. Dino slayers they ain't.

357maximum
01-10-2010, 06:08 PM
The nicest thing about being a caster is that you can add or subtract "stuff" from your alloy to make it perform the way you wish for the launch speeds at hand.

Some anecdotes are hard to believe unless you were there. I have seen a few anecdotes that I would not have believed if I had not seen it myself. I have been personally involved in about 325-350 or so whitetail kills with rifle/ML/Bow/shotgun......you see some amazing things both good and bad in that many kills.

I was at camp when my F.I.L's nephew killed a doe with less than 1.5 inches of penetration with an arrow....popped the lung with the broadheads tip only and she went 70 yards and laid dead cold when found. No blood trail to follow, just tracks in the pine needles. It was a hands and knees affair to find her. Too long a distance with too weak a bow and an inexperienced bad choice by a talented young archer caused that affair.

I am of the opinion that a little "stuff" in your roundball alloy is a help not a hindrance when you start leaving the muzzle at over 1500FPS.....but that is just my opinion and you know what they say about opinions.[smilie=1:

I have seen an up close and personal shot with a 45 caliber 230 grain Gold Dot HP in a .50 sabot from a 2k load in a 15inch encore pistol fail almost identical as in the 405's above anecdote. The buck was retrieved later that day but it was an "adventure" . The bullet simply blew up on the shoulder blade. My dad was simply pushing that 45acp bullet beyond it's intended purpose and capabilities. In that situation ...doubling the distance would have been alot better IMHO. But the real way to fix it was to change to a home cast lee 230gr TC-TL boolit in the same saboted load. The alloy I chose was AC50/50 ww/pure and it has performed flawlessly for the old man time and again since even on a few less than ideal hits. BRP designed a couple of 45ina50 sabot boolits for the same purpose with long range stability and retaining kill factor in mind....they work well in a longer barrel. Ir is what I will use first when I get my 1in28 barrel back.

There is alot of considerations and balancing to be done when you make the decision to make meat out of one of GOD"S critters. Placement is key....but only if your boolit is up to the challenge of things not going so swimmingly well.... [smilie=1:it happens.

I have simplified my life and alloy choices for the most part. I make 450lb batches of 50/50 ww/pure and use it in just about everything that is moving 1500+ in speed. When I get above 2k I waterdrop it...........I really like the simplicity of it myself. I still use softer mixes for sub speed plinkers in a few toys...but if it is a 1500+ kill shot I will have one version or another of 50/50 in the barrel from now on.

I shot a doe this year at +-90 yards with a .50 and a lead pipe RB...it did the job well with perfect shot placement. I could see by the damage inflicted to her insides that a slightly harder yet mallable ball could possibly do the job better and cover a what if situation a whole lot better.

Autopsies can be quite thought provoking learning experiences. The more of em you do the more you refine your thoughts.

buckweet
01-10-2010, 07:32 PM
now , that is some interesting reading,
all i've ever used is the old lyman, and pure lead.
but i made some good shots, they went down like a poleaxed steer,
but ? i wants the best i can use, so glad to hear what you guys have to say.
im of the opinion, now ? just keep doing what i've always did/ scout out the deer, and get close, but a little harder alloy, or water dropped, makes sense.
and on the other hand ? im not stuck with just the .50.
i'll have a .62 b4 too long.
also, as far as storys go, i've shot a few with my AR, with barns TSX's 70 grainers,
they worked very well.
passed plum through, and a half dollar size hole out the other side.
i want to hunt with the BP, just wanting to do it right.so far , so good.

Potsy
01-10-2010, 10:25 PM
Well, as long as were discussing penetration, or lack thereof....
Years ago, I shot a big nine while Dad and I were out hunting. We were actually looking for a cull whose leg I shot off that morning (bad decision, bad shot, only deer I ever lost).
A doe and the big nine jumped up about 15 FEET in front of me in the thick stuff. I shot him in the neck with a Barnes MZ 250, it did not exit, but he did hit the ground. Dad ran up carring my round ball gun. The buck was still trying to gain his legs and I shot him behind the shoulder with a Speer RB at about 10 feet. It angled in behind the shoulder, we found it flattened against the far shoulder.
I learned a few lessons that day:
A) Don't take moving shots in a fog with the sun in your face.
B) Barnes bullets look cool, but the XTP's I was using (and have used since) are cheaper and will penetrate at least that good.
C) A pure lead .50 rounball at close range and high speed ain't a big bonebreaker.

FWIW, a couple years before this episode, I shot a spike with the same CVA Hawken with a rounball in the neck at about 50 yards, it did not exit either.
Dad did however shoot one deer behind the shoulder at 50 yards, the deer made a 30 yard run and ball went all the way through. It's just not a big bonebreaker, that's all.

10 ga
01-11-2010, 12:04 AM
I have the BRP mould for the 300 gr sabot boolit and it is nice! I posted a question earlier, on this board and it should be only a page or 2 back, on a potential Elk hunt next year and using hardened RBs to enhance penetration. Check the posts there, they are good. All my hammer guns are slow twist and CO requires open/steel sights and no sabots. My inlines all have scopes. My plan is to use peep sights and a hard RB in my .58. My hunting load is 110 gr of FF Swiss in the 58 and 110 gr of FFF in my 50. I may have to take a scope off of the Encore and use a peeprib sight and shoot the BRP TC clone. The Encore shoots it real good now. I use 85 gr of FFF Swiss behind the 270 gr clone and use a card/wad under the boolit. It's real accurate. 10 ga

357maximum
01-11-2010, 04:53 AM
http://www.ricebarrels.com/velocity%20test.html

Boz330
01-11-2010, 11:57 AM
I have the BRP mould for the 300 gr sabot boolit and it is nice! I posted a question earlier, on this board and it should be only a page or 2 back, on a potential Elk hunt next year and using hardened RBs to enhance penetration. Check the posts there, they are good. All my hammer guns are slow twist and CO requires open/steel sights and no sabots. My inlines all have scopes. My plan is to use peep sights and a hard RB in my .58. My hunting load is 110 gr of FF Swiss in the 58 and 110 gr of FFF in my 50. I may have to take a scope off of the Encore and use a peeprib sight and shoot the BRP TC clone. The Encore shoots it real good now. I use 85 gr of FFF Swiss behind the 270 gr clone and use a card/wad under the boolit. It's real accurate. 10 ga

You might give the 58 REAL a try if you want more energy and better ballistics. My Hawken 58 shoots the REAL almost as good as the RB and it is a 72 twist. When it comes to elk you can't have too much.

Bob

Hanshi
01-11-2010, 05:06 PM
I have a TVM EV flint, .50 x 42" barrel. With 100 grains of 3f I chronographed it just under 2100 fps with a prb. That puts it a little ahead of the 30/30 & .35 Rem in ME. Of course in a ML it's not "energy" that puts game down. I took a couple of deer with that load (great load, accurate & powerful) before realizing I didn't need all that velocity. I now use 60 grains 3f all the time except when I go after deer and then I up it to 75-80 grains. With a large caliber 1600 - 1800 fps is all you need.

buckweet
01-11-2010, 07:04 PM
I have a TVM EV flint, .50 x 42" barrel. With 100 grains of 3f I chronographed it just under 2100 fps with a prb. That puts it a little ahead of the 30/30 & .35 Rem in ME. Of course in a ML it's not "energy" that puts game down. I took a couple of deer with that load (great load, accurate & powerful) before realizing I didn't need all that velocity. I now use 60 grains 3f all the time except when I go after deer and then I up it to 75-80 grains. With a large caliber 1600 - 1800 fps is all you need.

hanshi , hey thanks,

also ? trying to figger out ? in your sig line ? shoulds you be hanging out with me ? or should i be hanging out with you ?
i's hatched a okie, in 60

hummmm ??? fffg in a fifty.
someone told me old rule of thumb ? small and up to fifty, use fffg, over 50 cal, use ffg.

01-11-2010, 11:33 PM
Oh yes, necropsies are most educational about this stuff. I looked for and found in the hunting catch-all drawer a couple of RBs recovered from game of the past. Both are .54 cal and of very soft alloy- near pure lead less than 7 BHN.

The pic is of an unfired .54 RB, a RB from 175# deer, a RB from bull elk

The RB on the left is from the elk. Shot at about 80 yards. Facing nearly directly at me. The ball entered the "pocket" formed by the base of the neck and the shoulders. The ball was found next to the right side rib cage at the diaphragm. I don't think it hit any bone until it stopped against a rib. Track was above heart but damaged right lung and severed large CV arteries. RB recovered dimensions about .8" width X .3" thick

The RB on the right is from the deer. Shot at about 50 yards. Quartering slightly away. The ball entered the rib cage just forward the diaphragm. The ball was found embedded between two ribs on the opposite side aligned with the off side shoulder. IIRC the ball pierced a rib upon entry. Track was through both lungs. RB dimension oblong about 1.1" X .8" width X .2" thick.

Both started out at about 225 gr. and both lost between 10-15 gr. Both pushed by 85 gr. FFg BP to about 1450 muz vel.

Accuracy and shot placement are everything

buckweet
01-11-2010, 11:56 PM
awsome.

thats just awsome.

makes me wonder how much harder a chilled ball would be ? but with peformance like that...

Hanshi
01-12-2010, 12:48 AM
hanshi , hey thanks,

also ? trying to figger out ? in your sig line ? shoulds you be hanging out with me ? or should i be hanging out with you ?
i's hatched a okie, in 60

hummmm ??? fffg in a fifty.
someone told me old rule of thumb ? small and up to fifty, use fffg, over 50 cal, use ffg.

Hey, the young guys need to be hanging with both of us, then. 63 here. Got an uncle about to turn 102. Hope my sister and I inherited those genes.

FL-Flinter
01-12-2010, 05:58 AM
One of my favorites is when I see the following question posted on the modern rifle forums ... "What MAGNUM do I need to shoot 1000 yards?"

My typical reply is something like this: "If you're only shooting 1,000 yards, you'll need the latest and greatest loudenboomer mega-magnum to get any challenge because the .45-70 burning real black powder has been delivering 500 grain cast lead bullets with authority at 2,500+ yards since 1873. Serious BPCR shooters leave the short 1,000 yard ranges clear for the folks shooting muzzleloaders."

Goes right back to what I've been telling folks for years, it's not about the numbers on paper, it's all about the permanent wound channel. Too much velocity is a bad thing. Not enough mass is a bad thing. Those don't just apply to muzzleloaders either. I made the mistake once, many years ago I shot a WT deer with a 180gr Nosler partition from my .30-'06 and I never did that again! Wasted more meat to bloodshot than anything and I wasn't happy about it. Of course there's the typical gun rag **** about pointed bullets and accuracy ... side by side, load for load, the not-so-sexy RN's and FN's shoot just as accurately to 300+ yards as any pointed bullet - maybe not benchrest groups but as good as any other hunting bullet and the less-sexy bullets running at less than MAGNUM speeds don't tend wreck all the meat.

The fact has been proven time and again ... any given projectile will reach a point on the velocity scale where penetration depth will be lost. There have been several penetration comparisson tests done using the same bullet within a range of velocities. One of them used a 500gr 0.458" steel jacket RN and found that running this particular bullet around 2,600 fps from the .460 Weatherby MAGNUM it produced around 36-40" of penetration in wet newsprint. Slowing it down to about 2,100 fps in the .458 Winchester MAGNUM it produced 48-52" of penetration but when it was slowed further to around 1,320 fps of the original .45-70-500 black powder loading, penetration increased yet again to exceed 50".

I don't recall if I brought this up here or on another forum but a softer the projectile will not produce as much penetration as a larger projectile at the same velocity, however, a harder projectile will expand less or not at all and thus produce a smaller wound channel. (while I'm touching on wound channels, forget all the BS about "hydrostatic shock" and "temporary cavity" because both have been proven to be just that, BS.)

With a PRB or paper patch bullet, hardness of the alloy is not a particular issue in most cases as far as accuracy potential is concerned as the patching takes care of sealing the bore provided it is sufficient to completely fill the rifling grooves and also gripping the rifling. When you get into shooting naked bullets, you need a combination of things:
1- Bullet must be sufficiently large enough in diameter to provide enough bullet to bore friction so as to prevent the bullet from being dislodged off the powder charge creating a dangerous air-gap/bore obstruction condition.
2- Harder alloy bullets must be sized at, or over, groove diameter as they will have little to no obtrusion when the power ignites.
3- Sub-groove diameter harder patched bullets must have patching sufficient to have a sufficient amount of interference fit to the groove diameter, not bore diameter.
4- Softer alloy bullets of sub-groove diameter may be used provided they maintain sufficient bullet to bore friction and they will often obtrude enough on firing to seal the bore - a sealing wad may be used but the wad and bullet should be loaded simultaneously so as to prevent trapping and compressing air between the bullet and wad that can, and often will, push the bullet off the wad creating the extremely dangerous air-gap/bore obstruction condition.

When it comes to using harder alloy PRB's, one must remember that the harder the alloy, the lower the mass of the ball. Harder alloy will also cast larger in diameter in the same mold used for softer alloy because there is less shrink on cooling. Even a small amount of mass shed off a ball will reduce it's down-range velocity and momentum potential.

When it comes to hunting, the size of the game and consequential penetration requirements will determin the maximum ethical shooting range. A .50 PRB is a good projectile in both harder and softer alloys and while the numbers on paper may show it having the potential of working at X yards on critter Y, always use the C.A.R.E. system...
C - Consider: Consider all the possibilities of what can go wrong with the shot BEFORE you think about taking it.
A - Accuracy: Know for fact the accuracy potential you can produce with your gun, not the accuracy potential of the gun.
R - Reasonable: Be reasonable with ranges according to C & A above and well as E below.
E - EthicalL: Also fits with R above as being ethical at all times.

357maximum
01-12-2010, 09:15 AM
A speeds chart from TC. thought some might want to see it.

Seneca, 36 caliber
Round ball loads (.350", 65 grains):
40 grains FFFg - 1894 FPS - 518 ft.lbs
50 grains FFFg - 2034 FPS - 597 ft.lbs
60 grains FFFg - 2150 FPS - 667 ft.lbs

Maxi-Ball loads (128 grains):
40 grains FFFg - 1761 FPS - 882 ft.lbs
50 grains FFFg - 1843 FPS - 965 ft.lbs
60 grains FFFg - 2001 FPS - 1138 ft.lbs

Seneca, 45 caliber
Round ball loads (.440", 127 grains):
50 grains FFg - 1584 FPS - 707 ft.lbs
60 grains FFg - 1701 FPS - 816 ft.lbs
70 grains FFg - 1800 FPS - 914 ft.lbs
80 grains FFg - 1904 FPS - 1022 ft.lbs
90 grains FFg - 1980 FPS - 1106 ft.lbs

Maxi-Ball loads (240 grains):
60 grains FFg - 1369 FPS - 915 ft.lbs
70 grains FFg - 1456 FPS - 1036 ft.lbs
80 grains FFg - 1541 FPS - 1160 ft.lbs

Hawken, 45 caliber
Round ball loads (.440", 127 grains):
50 grains FFg - 1605 FPS - 732 ft.lbs
60 grains FFg - 1720 FPS - 841 ft.lbs
70 grains FFg - 1825 FPS - 947 ft.lbs
80 grains FFg - 1929 FPS - 1054 ft.lbs
90 grains FFg - 2003 FPS - 1140 ft.lbs
100 grains FFg - 2081 FPS - 1231 ft.lbs
110 grains FFg - 2158 FPS - 1324 ft.lbs

Maxi-Ball loads (240 grains):
80 grains FFg - 1564 FPS - 1195 ft.lbs
90 grains FFg - 1659 FPS - 1345 ft.lbs
100 grains FFg - 1743 FPS - 1485 ft.lbs

Renegade & Hawken, 50 caliber
Round ball loads (.490", 175 grains):
50 grains FFg - 1357 FPS - 761 ft.lbs
60 grains FFg - 1434 FPS - 850 ft.lbs
70 grains FFg - 1643 FPS - 1115 ft.lbs
80 grains FFg - 1838 FPS - 1396 ft.lbs
90 grains FFg - 1950 FPS - 1571 ft.lbs
100 grains FFg - 2052 FPS - 1739 ft.lbs
110 grains FFg - 2135 FPS - 1883 ft.lbs

Maxi-Ball loads (370 grains):
80 grains FFg - 1271 FPS - 1328 ft.lbs
90 grains FFg - 1344 FPS - 1484 ft.lbs
100 grains FFg - 1418 FPS - 1652 ft.lbs

Renegade & Hawken, 54 caliber
Round ball loads (.530", 230 grains):
60 grains FFg - 1263 FPS - 815 ft.lbs
70 grains FFg - 1469 FPS - 1102 ft.lbs
80 grains FFg - 1654 FPS - 1397 ft.lbs
90 grains FFg - 1761 FPS - 1584 ft.lbs
100 grains FFg - 1855 FPS - 1758 ft.lbs
110 grains FFg - 1931 FPS - 1905 ft.lbs
120 grains FFg - 1983 FPS - 2009 ft.lbs

Maxi-Ball loads (430 grains):
90 grains FFg - 1263 FPS - 1523 ft.lbs
100 grains FFg - 1345 FPS - 1728 ft.lbs
110 grains FFg - 1428 FPS - 1948 ft.lbs
120 grains FFg - 1499 FPS - 2146 ft.lbs

Renagade, 56 caliber smoothore
Round ball loads (.550", 265 grains):
80 grains FFg - 1195 FPS - 840 ft.lbs
90 grains FFg - 1285 FPS - 972 ft.lbs
100 grains FFg - 1300 FPS - 992 ft.lbs

Source: "Shooting Black Powder Guns," Thompson/Center Arms Company, publication designation "CR October, 1980."