PDA

View Full Version : Finally picked up some lead

imashooter2
05-28-2006, 05:11 PM
I've been having terrible luck getting lead recently. No one here wants to give/sell wheel weights anymore.

Anyway, I shoot ICORE when I can and a club I was at in February had a sign up on their indoor range "Free lead, just ask". I wasn't prepared to pick any up at the time and the club is an hour and a half drive up a toll road, so I just filed the info away. I shot another match there today and came prepared. After the match I hauled out 5 buckets of range scrap. It feels good to finally get a little more insurance in the garage.

BTW, a '93 Mustang doesn't make a very good pickup truck....
[smilie=1:

buck1
05-28-2006, 05:23 PM
I once hauled 4 buckets of WW in a 90 suzuki sidekick. It doesnt make a truck eaither! ....Buck

redneckdan
05-28-2006, 06:08 PM
My dad has a sammuri, smaller than a side kick. He had to unbolt the seat and move it back so he could drive it.

Leftoverdj
05-29-2006, 01:02 AM
I'd shovel free lead into my trunk and maybe into the backseat.

Doc - J
05-29-2006, 07:32 AM
Well, I got lucky and found a tire place that gave me a bucket. I gave them some soda ( for you a'll northern's that's pop)... Now when I show up thay say hear comes the pop man.... A few cans of soda can catch you more lead then tin that's in a tin can... Heck wonder what would happen if I showed up a closing time with some beer?

Bad Ass Wallace
05-29-2006, 08:15 AM
Take yer boolit mold, and they'll prob cast it up fer ya :drinks:

imashooter2
05-29-2006, 08:41 AM
I'd shovel free lead into my trunk and maybe into the backseat.

I wasn't expecting to find lead. I had a friend with me to shoot, no replacement buckets and the hatch filled up with our gear and assorted junk. I'm not really hurting for lead either with 7 or 800 pounds of ingots in the basement. I just have growing concerns fueled by my inability to find WW and the opinion that the government has not stopped placing limits on the use of lead. I don't think it is a long shot that in a few more years no business will be allowed to give/sell lead to a non licensed consumer. I've decided the time is now to put away as big a stash as I think I will ever need.

StarMetal
05-29-2006, 11:02 AM
Doc-J

I don't find the word pop or soda localized. This isn't a flame, just some interesting information. I grew up in the Pitt, Pa area, we called it pop. Yet at the eastern border of the Pa in New Jersey, they called it soda. Now living down here in TN, and I have to say right in hillbilly territory, they call it soda. Go figure.

Joe

357maximum
05-29-2006, 11:15 AM
Pop, soda,soda pop

I call it pop, but I have a buddy that lives just south of Orlando Florida that calls every carbonated beverage coke. It does not matter if it mt. dew, sprite, rc whatever he calls it all coke. But then again the guy ain't right up in the head either. Most of my buddies here prefer barley soda btw.

Bucks Owin
05-29-2006, 11:54 AM
I wasn't expecting to find lead. I had a friend with me to shoot, no replacement buckets and the hatch filled up with our gear and assorted junk. I'm not really hurting for lead either with 7 or 800 pounds of ingots in the basement. I just have growing concerns fueled by my inability to find WW and the opinion that the government has not stopped placing limits on the use of lead. I don't think it is a long shot that in a few more years no business will be allowed to give/sell lead to a non licensed consumer. I've decided the time is now to put away as big a stash as I think I will ever need.

I think that's a darn good idea!

Dennis

buck1
05-29-2006, 12:06 PM
Well, I got lucky and found a tire place that gave me a bucket. I gave them some soda ( for you a'll northern's that's pop)... Now when I show up thay say hear comes the pop man.... A few cans of soda can catch you more lead then tin that's in a tin can... Heck wonder what would happen if I showed up a closing time with some beer?

They deliver it!!!.....Buck

felix
05-29-2006, 12:45 PM
It's been called "sodie" for the most part in southeastern missouri and northeastern arkansas. I hear sodie-pop, and coke quite a bit around here in western arkansas. ... felix

454PB
05-29-2006, 01:23 PM
It's almost like OCD, isn't it. Back about 1997 there was talk that the Clinton administration was going to force the primer manufacturers to build primers with a short shelf life. I immediately started buying every brick of primers I could find and squirreling them away. By coincidence or because of this scare, primers were hard to find for a while.

Well, I'll probably never have to buy a primer again in my life, but I have been worrying that the ton of lead I have won't last me a liftime.

swampmaster
05-29-2006, 05:02 PM

How much lead is enough for a lifetime? I have about 3000 pounds and not sure if that is enough

imashooter2
05-29-2006, 06:51 PM
How much lead is enough for a lifetime? I have about 3000 pounds and not sure if that is enough

I guess that depends where you are in the life cycle. A ton and a half in ingots would get me 105K bullets if I call average weight at 200 grains. I'm 49 so that would give me 3,500 a year average till I'm 79. Factor in the jacketed stuff that I never intend to cast for and the fact that for at least the next few years, I'll trade money for time and buy most of my handgun bullets and 3,000 pounds would probably be enough for me. The stuff I brought home yesterday only gets me to 1,200 pounds, so I need to get more.

Anyway, there's no downside to more than enough. Worst case, my daughter and her boyfriend/husband will get plenty of exercise hauling it out of the basement when they settle the estate.

Leftoverdj
05-29-2006, 07:16 PM
I've been shooting on the same home range for 30 years. There's got to be a ton of lead in a few cubic yards of dirt if I ever get desperate enough to mine. I'm not using up my alloy, I'm just moving it to more secure storage.

targetshootr
05-29-2006, 10:55 PM
I had a friend with me to shoot, I have one or two of those too but so fer I've held off. :Fire:

I have 7 buckets in the garage but it doesn't seem like enough cause the sources could dry up at any time, as mentioned.

PGBsuperior
05-30-2006, 05:52 AM

It's not nearly enough for me, I'm going after another ton this week, and I think around 150 tons would make me feel comfortable for a while, but it sure wouldn't be enough to last my life.

Amy Lewis
PGB Superior Cast Bullets
Ranger Texas

wills
05-30-2006, 09:06 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by imashooter2
I had a friend with me to shoot,

I have one or two of those too but so fer I've held off. :Fire:

I have 7 buckets in the garage but it doesn't seem like enough cause the sources could dry up at any time, as mentioned.

A lively one makes a good moving target.

FISH4BUGS
05-30-2006, 12:49 PM
My tire shop gives me a 5 gal bucket every month or two in exchange for a case of Shipyard India Pale Ale and a six pack of Moxie. At worst, that works out to about 11.00 per 5 gal bucket. Lucky me.

snowtigger
06-03-2006, 12:46 PM
My tire shop must be paying their guys too much. I used to get them for free, but now they won't even pick them up off the floor for $15.00 per bucket. Just sweep them up with the trash.
Did score some pure lead the other day, about 500 lbs. along with some lino, and a few hunnert pounds of WW in ingots.
Hmmm, mebbe I could offer them $20.00... That's gettting up around .20 per pound.....

vonrang
01-24-2013, 04:51 PM
Amy Lewis PGB Superior Is She Still Alive? Jim Cox's Moly Polymer Formula J&L Bullets

I have not seen any posts from Amy Lewis in years now.

Amy bought out Jim Cox's business years ago.

She moved from Paradise CA to Ranger TX.

She has a ghost website that is still up, but inactive: http://www.angelfire.com/planet/pgbs...iorCastBullets

The last postings I find for her seem to end in 2008.

Did she die, or go to jail, oe leave the country?

Has anyone ever figured out how Jim Cox's moly polymer was formulated and applied?

I would hate to think that it may have died with both of them.

imashooter2
01-24-2013, 05:35 PM
Wow, a blast to the past... Interesting how your attitudes change. Now I'm 6 years older, have that 3,500 pounds on the shelf and I still pick up what I can find. :)

Duckdog
01-24-2013, 09:15 PM
I think it's just in our nature to keep scrounging lead. I made a bullet trap that is probably 24" x 18" x 18" out of wood and filled it with rubber mulch. I put a rubber paver in the front and back and have recovered every bullet that I have ever shot into the trap. That puppy will stop everything from 32 acp to 30-06 or 45/70. The mulch eventually breaks down, but it lasts a loooong time.

Kind of nice to just pick the bullets right back out of it to re-cast. The front paver eventually will get a hole in it, but the back one has never had a bullet hit it with any force. Plus, it kind of shows how your alloy is doing as well.