PDA

View Full Version : good cast boolit loading guide

firsttimer
01-03-2010, 11:42 PM
im looking for a good cast boolit reloading guide can anyone reccomend one.

thanks

Mike W1
01-03-2010, 11:49 PM
Lyman's has the most information for my money.

firsttimer
01-03-2010, 11:50 PM
do thay have data just for lead

longbow
01-03-2010, 11:53 PM
The Lyman Cast Bullet Handbook is a good start with lots of good info.

There is also lots of good info on this site if you search or post particulars of what you want to do: caliber, boolit weight, powder, twist, cartridge, intended use.

Lots of people with lots of experience here making cast boolits sing and dance if you will.

Also good info depending on the gun and cartridge is a read of this Ed Harris write up:

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=13425

Not necessarily just for milsurps.

Oh, also Joe Brennan's book is a good read too. Can be had here:

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=36337

You have to go to SourceForge to download or contact Joe.

I hope that helps.

Longbow

Nrut
01-04-2010, 01:29 AM
do thay have data just for lead

Yes they do...

runfiverun
01-04-2010, 01:48 AM
it also tells about casting.
the lyman book is the best, read the whole front of it a couple of times it will start to make perfect sense after a bit.
any questions after that, then ask away.
the lee book is pretty good too if you can get past his self promotion.
both have things included in them that are good and things that can be ignored through effort but are excellent guidelines taken together.

looseprojectile
01-04-2010, 03:16 AM
I have not seen one in the flesh but I hear Lee puts out a reloading manual.
I got the 48th edition of the Lyman and was disapointed. The Cast bullet handbook by Lyman is always good. You sometimes have to interpolate a little.
With a little common sense you can use a little less than the starting loads for jacketed bullets with lead boolits from most any manual. Handgun loads are easy, rifle loads get more complicated. When loading rifle ammo it is best to stay with a good published recipe. Most loading manuals have lead bullet loads nowadays.
Prepare to ask a lot of questions here.

Life is good

prickett
01-04-2010, 09:57 PM
Lyman's has the most information for my money.

According to Midway's site, there is a 4th edition due out in 4 days. Does anyone know if that is correct? I emailed Lyman with that question but have yet to receive a response.

RayinNH
01-04-2010, 11:01 PM
According to Midway's site, there is a 4th edition due out in 4 days. Does anyone know if that is correct? I emailed Lyman with that question but have yet to receive a response.

I just saw that at Midway's site. Should be a good one. Written by our own Mike Venturino. It will include Lyman moulds as well as select RCBS, Saeco and Lee moulds. In stock approximately Jan. 8th. Oh boy :bigsmyl2:...Ray

Marlin Hunter
01-05-2010, 01:34 AM
im looking for a good cast boolit reloading guide can anyone reccomend one.

thanks

You should also look at the Lee reloading manual 2nd edition (~$13.00?). It is relatively cheap and you can buy it with a small C-press that comes in handy (~$30.00?).

BOOK
http://www.natchezss.com/product.cfm?contentID=productDetail&prodID=LEE90277

BOOK AND PRESS
http://www.natchezss.com/product.cfm?contentID=productDetail&brand=LE&prodID=LEE90700&prodTitle=Lee%2040th%20Anniversary%20Reloading%20K it%20with%20Manual

I don't know if/where you can get these in Canada.

captaint
01-05-2010, 01:50 AM
I just got the Lyman 49th edition. So far it looks real good. Lots of cast boolit info and useful stuff. Mike

SciFiJim
01-05-2010, 04:00 AM
According to Midway's site, there is a 4th edition due out in 4 days.

Thanks Prickett. I got on their email notification list for when it arrives in stock.

prickett
01-05-2010, 10:34 PM

Just received a response from Lyman. They say it'll be out this spring. It appears Midways 1/8 date is WAY optimistic!

ddixie884
01-23-2010, 09:47 PM
ttt..................