PDA

View Full Version : Need an education on Gas Checks

philthephlier
01-03-2010, 09:01 PM
Lee CTL-312-185 bullet. Which brand and caliber of gas check does anybody recommend? Best way to install? Should bullets be on the hard side or doesn't matter? For my 303 Enfield. Suggested loads? Size the assemblies? Would like a load about 2000 FPS. Thanks in advance for the info.

Shiloh
01-03-2010, 09:27 PM
Hornady makes them all, even Lymans. Other than the ones that are available as a group buy sometimes.

Lubiszer or LEE sizer die to seat them.

Have you looked over some powders?? I'm using SR7641 which is a surplus SR 4759 clone
for military rifles with cast. I shoot 50/50 sometimes a bit softer. No leading if the boolit fits your rifle

Shiloh

Bloodman14
01-03-2010, 09:29 PM
Gas checks are pretty much standard; pick one and go. Commercial checks are made by Hornady, Lyman buys them and repacks under the Lyman name. Install by pushing through a sizing die; Lee push through (nose first), or the others, usually base first with a 'nose punch'.
Alloy and loads will depend on the gun; need more info.

JIMinPHX
01-03-2010, 09:49 PM
I've used only Hornady or home made gas checks. I make most of my 2,000fps boolits around 12 BNH (air cooled wheel weights) with good results. I've gone as high as 25BNH with slightly better accuracy, but less desirable terminal performance on game.

The Hornady gas checks work on everything. My home made checks were generally pretty good, except that chrome barrels don't seem to like aluminum checks. The chrome barrel gets smeared badly with aluminum fouling within just a few shots. It's really hard to clean out . With the exception of chrome barrels, aluminum & copper checks both seem to work well. I haven't noticed any of the barrel wear issues that some people warn about from aluminum oxide being abrasive.

leadman
01-03-2010, 09:58 PM
That Lee bullet will take a 30 caliber gas check. I usually water guench a WW alloy with lino to provide tin & a little extra antimony. They usually will harden up to around 18 BHN.

I have the best results for a bullet like this at around 2,000 fps with a slower powder like H4895. 2400 & 4759 will work for these velocities along with Accurate 5744. I seem to get better accurracy with a slower powder.

Blammer on this forum does have gas checks at times for sale. He sells a brand called Gator checks.

Wally
01-03-2010, 11:42 PM
I've used only Hornady or home made gas checks. I make most of my 2,000fps boolits around 12 BNH (air cooled wheel weights) with good results. I've gone as high as 25BNH with slightly better accuracy, but less desirable terminal performance on game.

The Hornady gas checks work on everything. My home made checks were generally pretty good, except that chrome barrels don't seem to like aluminum checks. The chrome barrel gets smeared badly with aluminum fouling within just a few shots. It's really hard to clean out . With the exception of chrome barrels, aluminum & copper checks both seem to work well. I haven't noticed any of the barrel wear issues that some people warn about from aluminum oxide being abrasive.

Might I suggest--as you are making your own Gas Checks, try using copper in instead of aluminum..you can make your own and still save.

Recluse
01-04-2010, 02:16 AM
Lee CTL-312-185 bullet. Which brand and caliber of gas check does anybody recommend? Best way to install? Should bullets be on the hard side or doesn't matter? For my 303 Enfield. Suggested loads? Size the assemblies? Would like a load about 2000 FPS. Thanks in advance for the info.

I waterdrop all of my long gun boolits and use Hornady gas checks. One of these days I'll get around to buying Pat Marlins gas check maker and make my own.

As far as loads go, there's some good plinking loads using Unique, but my absolute best accurate loads use, of all powders, W748. I don't have my reloading notes in front of me--they are a long, cold walk away to my shop. I'll look some up and PM you.

:coffee:

azrednek
01-04-2010, 02:36 AM
Send Blammer a private message and get an idea when he will have the 30 cal checks available. Blammer's prices are more than reasonable. My local dealer is getting 65 bux per thousand for Lymans. I haven't checked Midway's price lately but last time I checked they were considerably higher than Blammer's. If you can't wait for Blammer I can loan a couple dozen. Send me a private message if I can help.

JIMinPHX
01-04-2010, 04:45 AM
Might I suggest--as you are making your own Gas Checks, try using copper in instead of aluminum..you can make your own and still save.

With the price that I pay for copper sheet locally, there is not much savings over just buying factory checks. Also, the copper is tougher to cut & harder to get a good clean edge on. If you know of an inexpensive source for copper sheet, I'd love to know who it is.