PDA

View Full Version : You can't send LEE ALOX through the mail anymore!

Frozone
01-03-2010, 05:31 PM
I tried to order a LEE sizing die from Midway today.

The checkout page wouldn't give me a shipping option.
After consulting with customer service,
It seems the USPS has declared Alox a hazardous substance and it can't be mailed.

Because you can't get UPS Ground to Alaska ( well, you can but it's really 2 day air, they just don't have to deliver in 2 days. They'll let it sit at the Alaska terminal and age for a couple days ) and Lee adds the bottle of lube to every package, Guess What?

Also What's that going to do to BullPlate?? I can go get it, but it's going to be a pain in the **** for the rest of you!

Woodtroll
01-03-2010, 06:14 PM
Well, that sure explains my limited shipping options on my last order. I'm glad you explained that!

TAWILDCATT
01-03-2010, 06:49 PM
all they have to do is leave out the thinner and we will add it.the lube itself is not hazadis,its the thinner.mineral spirits.:coffee:

GabbyM
01-03-2010, 06:52 PM
USPS hasn't changed anything. Midway recently started using flat rate priority mail and that is an air mail package. So no flammables and such. They should offer USPS first class ground but I don't now if they do.

RayinNH
01-03-2010, 06:59 PM
How about you just ask Midway to leave out the Alox?...Ray

Frozone
01-03-2010, 07:41 PM
How about you just ask Midway to leave out the Alox?...Ray

I tried that, it was too much to ask for them to open the package and remove the Alox. Kinda like asking for a cheeseburger without cheese. :-)

As for the priority mail, I've been shipped Alox by priority mail a number of times.
I guess they just didn't check.

It could go parcel post, but there is no guarantee that that will go ground to Alaska.

Rico1950
01-03-2010, 08:30 PM
Have a package of reloading supplies coming from Midway tommorrow.
One of the items .311 Lee sizing die with Alox. Just picked UPS basic in the shipping options.
Seems UPS & USPS are in on this one. Supposedly to cut shipping costs.

edsmith
01-03-2010, 08:35 PM
I just received a lee sizer from midway,sent priority mail,no alox in the package.

RobS
01-03-2010, 08:40 PM
I just ordered last week some Lee Alox and other things from Midway too and they did not give the USPS option, only UPS. I did pick the UPS basic which is a dual effort as USPS drops off the package at the final local destination (my front porch).

I don't know how it would be that USPS is to consider this a hazard when they carry UPS's packages to the final local distination. I guess that would be the loop hole!!!!

stubshaft
01-03-2010, 10:47 PM
I order my sizing dies from Lee directly (except the ones I have Buckshot make). They are a little more expensive BUT shipping is only 4.00 even to Hawaii (Alaska would be the same) and it includes the alox.

Their customer service is great as I know the shipping costs them more than they charge me.

Rico1950
01-04-2010, 07:56 PM
Received my order from Midway today. Sizer and ALOX included. Used the UPS BASIC option.

Recluse
01-04-2010, 08:36 PM
Stop and think about things for a moment.

WHO uses the most LLA/alox, per capita, than probably anyone else in America?

Gun people. Casters, loaders, etc.

Can't get yet another gun-related item through our federal government controlled shipping bureaucracy.

I said to hell with USPS a long time ago for shipping any packages--strictly UPS or FedEx or a freight service. Only thing I use USPS for is sending money/money orders, and dirty letters to my elected idiots.

I may decide to just mail some LLA to my brother. I'll stick it in a box, priority mail it, and if the bureacrap at the USPS desk asks me what's in it, I'll tell him "a plastic bottle" of a soon-to-be antique. :rolleyes:

Friggin' ridiculous.

:coffee:

Wayne Smith
01-05-2010, 08:48 AM
Stop and think about things for a moment.

WHO uses the most LLA/alox, per capita, than probably anyone else in America?

Gun people. Casters, loaders, etc.

:coffee:

Probably the people who undercoat autos.

alamogunr
01-05-2010, 09:11 AM
A few years ago, in one of my Obsessive Compulsive moments, I ordered a 5 gal. bucket of Alox 606-55 and Alox 350. This was back when the "panic" set in that Alox 2138F had been discontinued. I've been walking around it in the shop ever since. I guess that will keep me from having to pay exorbitant shipping charges for LLA. I keep a bottle of LLA on hand to check the original viscosity(eyeball only) when I am making up a small batch with mineral spirits.

It does work well as a rust preventive in severe conditions. I don't have many applications like that but it's there if I need it.

I'll leave a note for my sons to check here when they are disposing of my "stuff" after I'm gone. That won't be for a long while yet.

John
W.TN