PDA

View Full Version : tumbling media question

jarhead jim
01-03-2010, 04:34 PM
hey studs,

I have a source for some 20/40 corn cob media but can't see it in person to know if this will work for tumbling .223 and .45 auto cases. Is this a good size?

Thanks,

Jim

Shiloh
01-03-2010, 07:16 PM
SHould work fine. I went with 14/20 but my next choice was 20-40.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?p=726340&highlight=20%2F40#post726340

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?p=476623&highlight=20%2F40#post476623

Shiloh

jarhead jim
01-03-2010, 08:49 PM
Thanks Shiloh!

Jimh

jcwit
01-03-2010, 08:56 PM
Thats one of the best choices. With 20/40 there's never any stuck in the primer pockets or flash holes for that matter. Polishes just as well also. Works fantastic, I think you'll like it.

Opp's--Guess I shuda read the links first.

Shiloh
01-05-2010, 12:53 PM
Haven' had any of the 14/20 stick in the flash holes either. When it gets sifted. if there are any particles stuck, the agitating motion, clears them all.

Got mine at Grainger for about $24 out the door. No shipping if you pick it up. I have a lifetime supply.
Nu-Finish car polish from Wal-Mart as the brass polish. $5.99 for a good size bottle that lasts me 2 years of several thousand rounds a year.

Shiloh

mike in co
01-05-2010, 01:16 PM
Corn cob works great for shining and will clean the brass fairly well with additives like dillon brass cleaner and a whole host of other cleaners.
Walnut hull cleans a lot faster and better than corn cob.

another reason someone is on my ignore list..but i still babysit his remarks.

it might seem that walnut is better by his statement.

walnut is for cleaning very dirty brass. i get brass from two outdoor ranges, in the winter we get muddy brass, sometimes tarnished brass. most of my brass polishes bright and shinny in one hour in corn cob with some nufinish car polish.
my worst case is 2 hours in corn cob.

in two plus years in the brass business, i have never had to resort to walnut to "clean" any brass.
in my biz bright and shinny is what attracks the customer, flat(no shine) clean is not gonna make it. yes i own walnut, yes i have used walnut....NOTHING approaches corncob for polish and speed.

mike in co
THE COLORADO BRASS COMPANY

JesterGrin_1
01-05-2010, 01:23 PM
But we can get Walnut at a decent price such as Lizard Litter and so forth but what about Corn Cob?

Shiloh
01-05-2010, 01:59 PM
I looked at the Lizard litter for really nasty brass but decided to skip it. If it ain't broke, it doesn't need fixing. COrn cob works fine. FOr nasty brass, I use a bit of muriatic acid in a bucket of water. THe tarnish is gone except for the occasional pink oxide. THat polishes right off with corn cob.

The lizard litter I trie years ago was to dificult to rmove from bottle neck rifle brass, and it clogged the primer pockets.

SHiloh

jcwit
01-05-2010, 02:15 PM
Haven' had any of the 14/20 stick in the flash holes either. When it gets sifted. if there are any particles stuck, the agitating motion, clears them all.

I had a problem with Lyman corn cob media (untreated) packing into the primer pockets and flash holes and was under the impression that it was 14/20.

Maybe its not that grit, I have no idea, but I do know 20/40 flows like sand and cleans and polishes super. For a polish I use just any cleaner wax thats used for a car finish. Right now I'm using up some old liquid Turtle wax.

JIMinPHX
01-05-2010, 02:37 PM
For small caliber brass, I've been using lizzard litter from Pet Smart lately. It's a smaller grind of walnut shell than you get from the tumbler guys. It pours out of small caliber cases, like .223 much more easily & it doesn't clog flash holes. Unfortunately, it seems a little less aggressive on the polishing end. I still use standard media for .38s, .45's, etc.

Shiloh
01-05-2010, 04:23 PM
I had a problem with Lyman corn cob media (untreated) packing into the primer pockets and flash holes and was under the impression that it was 14/20.

Maybe its not that grit, I have no idea, but I do know 20/40 flows like sand and cleans and polishes super. For a polish I use just any cleaner wax thats used for a car finish. Right now I'm using up some old liquid Turtle wax.

I had some Lyman media as well. It didn't identify the mesh size on the container, but when compared, it was a larger mesh size than the 14/20 I got from Grainger. 12/20 I think. I dumped what I had left in the yard.

I had to look all rifle brass over as it is cleaned, case lubed and de-primed, then cleaned again to get the lanolin off the cases. Flash hole were inevitably plugged.
Every case had to be punch with coat hanger wire.

Not an issue with progressively loaded pistol brass where there is no case lube.

Shiloh

mike in co
01-05-2010, 04:54 PM
But we can get Walnut at a decent price such as Lizard Litter and so forth but what about Corn Cob?

25 us dollars for 40 pounds..........5 dollars for 8 lbs......i only use 5 lbs in my large dillon tumblers...so that is 3 dollars and change to fill.....
now i use one load for about a month..no idea how many 1000's it sees...but it is a bunch.

for the home user, get together with 4 or so guys and split it up.

if you only want clean and not polish...use what you can get.

but
i constanly see guys claiming how many HOURS they run stuff to get it clean.

if it is taking more than one hour to celan AND polish your brass something is wrong.

vibrator type machines work best when close to full...if not full the run time gets much longer.

(and yes rotary is much slower...)

mike in co
THE COLORADO BRASS COMPANY

mike in co
01-05-2010, 04:59 PM
As stated by mike in co.

Ignore away mikey,, If you are a man of your word, you will leave me out of your comments from now on.

If someone just wants clean or wants to clean faster, walnut hull will do the job.
I save the corncob for finish work after the sizing to remove lube and add a bit of shiny.

MR KNIGHT,
maybe you could put some facts behind your claim of "faster"....
faster what ...the problem is when is it clean vs when is it polished?
so how long does it take to clean......1000 pcs of 9mm/40s&w/45acp ?

how many pcs does your machine hold ?

what kind of machine....

publish some pics of your "clean" brass

there are plenty of people on this site that have bought my polished brass and know what it looks like.

mike in co

lwknight
01-05-2010, 05:35 PM
Before I would argue with you, I would have to care enough.

mike in co
01-05-2010, 06:07 PM
Before I would argue with you, I would have to care enough.

so , i was correct.
its an opinion, no facts......

it was a question plain and simple.

it was not an arguement....just a chance to put something behind the statement.

you have a good day.....

mike in co

Beekeeper
01-05-2010, 06:27 PM
Well Mike you can put me on your ignore list as well! ! !
I use only lizard litter to clean and polish my brass . I put about 1/2 teaspoon of Bon-Ami cleanser in with each load and they come out perfect.

The idea that Mike in Colorado is the one and only subject matter expert when it comes to case cleaning I find ofensive.
Maybe the mods can give him his own section , you know " Brass cleaning according to MikeinCo. The worlds expert"

My $.02 worth and I am not intimidated at all

Jim

gon2shoot
01-05-2010, 06:29 PM
Can't you boys play nice?

Beekeeper
01-05-2010, 06:51 PM
Why?
If he is going to set himself up as the only expert on the forum he should be able to take the flack

Jim

alamogunr
01-05-2010, 07:03 PM
I've been using some crushed walnut media for the last couple of days. It is so cold here and I'm not used to it that I just start up the vibrator cleaner and let it run for several hours while I go back to the house. The downside to that is the excessive dust. I've had to take it outside and pour it from one bucket to another to let the wind blow the dust away. When this is used up I'm going to get some corn cob media and use it exclusively. I'm not really interested in shiny brass, just clean.

I made the mistake of using some corn cob pet bedding to clean some bottleneck cases. It was too course, like almost 1/8" size. I was ready to scrap the brass before I got it all out. That is reserved for straight cases .45 Colt and larger.
John
W.TN

jcwit
01-05-2010, 07:12 PM
Whats all the fuss about how much time it takes? I fill the tumbler up, turn it on, go to bed, come morning its done. Its not like I sit up all night watching it.

And man some sure have an ego problem on this subject!

mike in co
01-05-2010, 07:18 PM
Well Mike you can put me on your ignore list as well! ! !
I use only lizard litter to clean and polish my brass . I put about 1/2 teaspoon of Bon-Ami cleanser in with each load and they come out perfect.

The idea that Mike in Colorado is the one and only subject matter expert when it comes to case cleaning I find ofensive.
Maybe the mods can give him his own section , you know " Brass cleaning according to MikeinCo. The worlds expert"

My $.02 worth and I am not intimidated at all

Jim

i'm glad you like your results.
i probably clean more brass than anyone else on this site., month to month, year to year. do you think i would use an expensive slow method to make my living ? if walnut was cheaper or quicker . i'd be using it . it is not cheaper, it is not quicker and it is dirtier.
am i an expert ...not likeley, but between walnut and corn cob, yes i am.
i aksed foe one person to put up numbers to support his cliam...no dice.
i'll stick to my opinion. i'll continue to direct questioners to corncob and nufinish....it works, its cheap and its cheap.
you have every right to use what you want, if you are happy with it, continue,BUT not one of my commercial reloading customers(my wholsale accounts) use walnut...they all use corncob!
mike in co

lwknight
01-05-2010, 07:20 PM
I guess I don't have to take it personally about M.I.C but if anyone has an experience that differs your opinion from that of M.I.C, you had better have pictures and notorized sworn statments to back it up.

mike in co
01-05-2010, 07:32 PM
Whats all the fuss about how much time it takes? I fill the tumbler up, turn it on, go to bed, come morning its done. Its not like I sit up all night watching it.

time is an issue when you do it for a living and you do as much as me.
you do the next lot as soon as one lot is done.
as an example(checked some records) in just 45acp in jan/feb i was doing over 100,000 per month. add to that the other calibers...and you see why time does count.
( and then there is your electric bill and the wear and tear on the equiptment....last year , without a timer on the dillon's i burned up a motor in a mater of months..over $100 to replace)

mike in co

mike in co
01-05-2010, 07:36 PM
I guess I don't have to take it personally about M.I.C but if anyone has an experience that differs your opinion from that of M.I.C, you had better have pictures and notorized sworn statments to back it up.

i actually i do not care what you do, or others that use walnut. it is the us of a. when you come on and tell others to use it, in my opinion, you are telling them how to waste time and money. that is not what this site is about.

and yes it has been the standard for this site, that when a texan makes a claim, he must back it up with documentation......lol

mike in co

JesterGrin_1
01-05-2010, 07:50 PM
Okay where would I start to look for Corn Cob for $20.00 for a 40LB Bag?

mike in co
01-05-2010, 07:54 PM

grainger
its listed as blasting media
here in colorado a tick under $25 with tax for a 40lb boxed bag.( pickup..not delivered)
if no grainger, try feed stores, metal finishing suppliers.

mike in co

JesterGrin_1
01-05-2010, 08:24 PM
Is there a particle size I should ask for?

And I would like to pull out my old shaky soap box lol.

I am a new loader in my mind only a reloader since the middle of 2007 but in everything I still try and keep a mindset as if I am new and always look for information that may help and give information when I am able.

Mike may not be Hornady or Remington or some other huge reloading company but he still goes through a bunch of brass with his cleaning stations to be able to either load ammo or to sell the brass to the public at large of which everyone knows people like things purty lol. So Mike try's to do this to make the public happy and also to make them feel good with there purchase of said brass and or ammo. So from his point of view to get good looking brass in as little time as possible and not hurt the brass is utmost to him and thus from what he has learned doing so will help others on this forum as well as people that just look in on the forum for information from time to time and heck may even join the site to learn more or to start reloading or even casting there own and this will help not only grow our sport but also maybe gain some good people on this forum as well.

If you are happy with what you use to clean brass by all means keep on keeping on. I have been using nothing but Walnut but I am willing to give something another shot. I mean heck 2O.OO or so for 40 pounds of the stuff is not bad to try. And if you do not like it you can put what you have left in baggies and maybe sell it to others and or the local range or maybe even a friendly gun shop you could leave it with.

But I see no need to argue about which is best as in life everything is an experiment and a personal choice. But please always keep an open mind to new ideas.

Dale53
01-05-2010, 08:34 PM
Many, many years ago I bought what seems to be a "lifetime supply" of a rather special corn cob mixture from Gil Hebard (they said the mixture was "corned". In appearance it is different from normal corn cobb tumbling media. It seems to last longer and is harder. At any rate, I set up my large Dillon vibratory tumbler with a timer and run it two hours with Dillons polish. When I finish up with my Dillon's polish (not apt to be very soon as I have a couple of bottles) I will no doubt go with Mike's suggestion of NuPolish.

It is hard to argue with Mike's experience particularly when coupled with my own like conclusions:mrgreen:.

FWIW
Dale53

gon2shoot
01-05-2010, 08:47 PM
Jestergrin

You are correct, "no need to argue".

Everyone has favorites and opinions, this site is about helping folks enjoy casting and shooting. If someone has a method,product,rabbits foot etc. that works for them then we're all glad to hear about it. When it turns to an ego trip because "my dad can whip your dad" nobody wins.

Folks have different methods and different needs, do what works for you, share the info from your personal experience and let people decide what they want to try.

It'd really be sad to see a site of this caliber get degraded because people cant accept the fact that someone else may have a different idea.

jcwit
01-05-2010, 08:51 PM
time is an issue when you do it for a living and you do as much as me.
you do the next lot as soon as one lot is done.
as an example(checked some records) in just 45acp in jan/feb i was doing over 100,000 per month. add to that the other calibers...and you see why time does count.
( and then there is your electric bill and the wear and tear on the equiptment....last year , without a timer on the dillon's i burned up a motor in a mater of months..over $100 to replace)

Yes, doing it for a living would make a difference as far as time and electric consumption would go. Didn't realize that was your thing.

So with that, have a good one and a Happy New Year.

lwknight
01-05-2010, 08:52 PM
I never said that corn cob is not good.
I never said that it does not get the job done.
I use it. I like it. It has its purpose.
I just know that when I have some heavy duty cleaning to do that walnut is more aggressive.
So I just use the walnut to do the dirty work and save my precious corn cob for the prettying up if I take a notion to care about shiny.

KCSO
01-05-2010, 08:53 PM
Earl May's sells corncob bedding also, it's a little large for 30 cal but works just fine for 38 and above if yo don't mind an occasional chunk in a primer pocket.

JesterGrin_1
01-05-2010, 09:02 PM
That is why I do not remove the spent primer till they are out of the tumbler or shaker :).

Three-Fifty-Seven
01-05-2010, 09:15 PM
How long should I tumble for?

I have an old Thumlers Tumbler 10, (vibrating type)I bought it new about 25 years ago, didn't use it for at least 20 of those years . . . I don't clean that often, but when I put them in, (when I remember) I let them tumble over night . . . at least 12+ hours, most come out clean, no idea what kind of media I have . . . I fill it up with about 200 - 250 38 spl cases.

Is my media worn out? How do I tell?

Shiloh
01-05-2010, 09:19 PM

Maybe that's why I'm not getting any rest. I keep watching the cases go round and round and round and....:kidding:

Shiloh

Shiloh
01-05-2010, 09:28 PM

Got mine at Grainger. $24 if you pick it up at Grainger. If it is shipped to you, there will be additional charges accrued
Many larger cities have a Grainger Industrial Supply. Sand or abrasive blasting supplies will have it or can order it for you.

Branch: 704
5011 Rittiman Rd.
San Antonio, TX 78218-4638
Phone: (210) 654-4020
Fax: (210) 654-0114

Branch Hours:
7:30 AM - 5:00 PM Central (Monday - Friday)
View Map and Get Directions Branch: 705
4924 NW Loop 410
San Antonio, TX 78229-5312
Phone: (210) 521-7861
Fax: (210) 521-8602

Branch Hours:
7:30 AM - 5:00 PM Central (Monday - Friday)
View Map and Get Directions

Shiloh

blikseme300
01-05-2010, 09:32 PM
I switched to synthetic tumbling media to stay out of the corn cob VS walnut war. Works good too..... (Not really, I just switched because I could, and it does work well.)

I use this product purchased from mcmaster.com : Item 8104T37

Bliksem

hammerhead357
01-05-2010, 11:46 PM
I think Horrible Freight has blasting media available also. Not sure of the grade nor of the type.....Wes

JesterGrin_1
01-07-2010, 05:48 PM
Found it :) This is a 40 pound bag. They have to order it in but only takes a few days. I will give it a shot. :) What is WILD is that it is a Hazmat. Go figure Corn Cob being Hazmat lol.

Granular Sorbent, All Natural, Corn Cob Blend, Package Weight 40 Lbs., Absorbs Cutting Oils, Greases, Water, Heavy Oils

Grainger Item # 3RPP6
Price (ea.) $15.64
Brand DRI ZORB

gwilliams2
01-07-2010, 08:50 PM
Not to change the subject, and this is related.... How often do ya'll change out your media? I've used corncob just because that's what I bought the first time, it worked and I never really thought about using anything else until now. Generally speaking I change mine out when it starts looking sorta.... black.... Don't know if it really needs changed, I mean it does still clean the brass...

mike in co
01-07-2010, 10:10 PM
Found it :) This is a 40 pound bag. They have to order it in but only takes a few days. I will give it a shot. :) What is WILD is that it is a Hazmat. Go figure Corn Cob being Hazmat lol.

Granular Sorbent, All Natural, Corn Cob Blend, Package Weight 40 Lbs., Absorbs Cutting Oils, Greases, Water, Heavy Oils

Grainger Item # 3RPP6
Price (ea.) $15.64
Brand DRI ZORB

not it!!!!!
we said blasting media....(pn 2mvr4)
but for 16 bucks...take a look at it...this is a case where size matters....smaller is better.