PDA

View Full Version : How long does a bottle of Bullplate last for you?

Bullshop Junior
01-02-2010, 08:02 PM
Please vote!

waksupi
01-02-2010, 08:26 PM
First bottle, I managed to dump. Lasted from time of delivery, to about the second casting session. Have two bottles now, and have no idea what I will do with the second bottle, assuming I don't spill the other one.

Charlie Sometimes
01-02-2010, 08:29 PM
Heard of it, don't use it, never seen any to try it- where is the 'What is Bull Plate?" option.

Bullshop Junior
01-02-2010, 08:32 PM
Heard of it, don't use it, never seen any to try it- where is the 'What is Bull Plate?" option.
I did not think of that one. I will see if I can add it in.

Bullshop Junior
01-02-2010, 08:34 PM
I did not think of that one. I will see if I can add it in.
Nope, can't do it.
Sorry.
I should have also added 'I used mine to make speedgreen'

Johnch
01-02-2010, 08:59 PM
LOL
I bought 2 bottles and have several of the bottles sent with NOE moulds

I have not used up the first one yeat
But havn't been casting much as of late due to work my back side off

So it looks like a bottle will last me at least 2 years if I don't dump it

John

RayinNH
01-02-2010, 09:45 PM
I've had mine about three years. Bought two bottles. I cast about once a month as an average. I doubt that I've used a capful yet :-D. Good stuff though. You'll never get rich selling it at that rate...Ray

ktw
01-02-2010, 10:04 PM
My experience is that, unless you knock one over, a bottle is going to last 5yrs+.

I bought 1 (or2?) from Bullshop, got one with a Red River Rick mould and another with an NOE mould. Spilled half of one. Have 10yrs+ left on hand.

-ktw

Bullshop Junior
01-02-2010, 10:09 PM
I've had mine about three years. Bought two bottles. I cast about once a month as an average. I doubt that I've used a capful yet :-D. Good stuff though. You'll never get rich selling it at that rate...Ray
Thats why we used round bottomed bottles.
:mrgreen:

SciFiJim
01-02-2010, 10:11 PM
Spilled half of my first bottle the first time I used it. Since then I have been using one of the small bottles I got with a NOE mold. Use it to squirt about a drop onto a q-tip. I use one q-tip per casting session so I use one drop of bullplate per casting session. At one drop per, my present inventory should last me for several years. I've been thinking of making some speedgreen though, so I probably need to order more.

kbstenberg
01-02-2010, 10:38 PM
Bullshop Jr you have to make the lettering bigger on your order forms to request the flat bottom bottles of Bullplate. An not send so Manny round bottomed bottles out.

johnlaw484
01-02-2010, 10:53 PM
Ok stupid question, what is Bullplate????

cheese1566
01-02-2010, 10:56 PM
Still on the first two bottles you sold me.

I guess I haven't knocked the first over and spilled to move onto the second!

Bullshop Junior
01-02-2010, 11:20 PM
Ok stupid question, what is Bullplate????
A mould lubricant that we make

Alchemist
01-02-2010, 11:22 PM
I bought two bottles about a year ago. One has become a batch of speed green, the other still seems as full as when I got it. A little goes a long way. Good stuff!

johnlaw484
01-02-2010, 11:30 PM
Oh ok, won't graphite work?

crabo
01-02-2010, 11:38 PM

Once you use it, you will not want to use anything else.

Bullshop Junior
01-02-2010, 11:40 PM
Not as good as bullplate.
Bullplate also keeps the lead from sticking to the top of the mould.

runfiverun
01-03-2010, 12:57 AM
it can be used for other stuff too, makes good sizing lube also.

Bullshop Junior
01-03-2010, 12:58 AM
We make case sizing lube............

Rockydog
01-03-2010, 02:03 AM
Haven't tried mine yet. I do my casting in the Garage and the thermometer out there said 10 this AM. -4 outside. It'll be a while before I know. RD

captain-03
01-03-2010, 02:11 AM
Great Stuff -- never tried it until I got some with an NOE mould .... wouldn't use anything else now!

Muddy Creek Sam
01-03-2010, 02:17 AM
I heard it was like the number of licks it takes to get to the center of a tootsie pop, The world may never know.

Sam :D

Recluse
01-03-2010, 04:08 AM
For casting, hell, those two bottles will last me longer than the years I have left on the planet.

However, I'm trying it out on my arthritis (knees, lower back, shoulders) and my degenerative discs (neck). Been told to mix a little in with some of Randyrat's Beeswax, then smear a little on my kisser. Said to keep the wife away from your face better than not shaving for a few days at a time.

I did apply a very small amount to some squeaky door hinges going out to the garage, and that door has never opened quieter.

But again, for casting, you could easily HALVE the amount you presently sell, and double the price and I'd still buy from you with zero hesitation. Put simply, it is THE best stuff going for moulds and casting that has ever come out.

And I don't know but what I may play around with it a bit as a gun lube.

:coffee:

OldBob
01-03-2010, 07:20 AM
I think mine will last about 3 years, best darn stuff for aluminum molds there ever was, I used to use graphite but this is far better. You guys that haven't tried it are missing out on a great thing !

Lloyd Smale
01-03-2010, 07:45 AM
im a dumper. I dont think ive ever actually used a whole bottle without dumping it.

Heavy lead
01-03-2010, 07:59 AM
Haven't dumped any yet, only time I've cussed it is when I applied a little too liberal and get it in the cavities, that's on me, you don't need much, the stuff works great on all moulds iron, brass or aluminum
Only been casting for 4 years now, used bullplate for the last two, still on my first bottle. If I keep buying NOE moulds, it's likely I'll never have to buy anymore ever.

Wayne Smith
01-03-2010, 08:29 AM
Let's see, I bought my first bottle when it first came out, dumped it but saved most of that because I dumped it in my cupcake ingot mold. Used the rest of it to make speedgreen, need to make more of that. Got another bottle and promply, on the second use, dumped that one too! This time on my boolit dropping towel, so no recovery. Got about half of that one left. That one didn't survive being struck by a out of control six cavity mold half. Not a round bottomed bottle!

kbstenberg
01-03-2010, 08:57 AM
Yesterday i learned how little you actually need. I had applied BP to my mold an set the Qtip on the edge of my casting bench. (there to be forgotten) went to casting, latter i needed another application to the alignment pins. there was just enough BP on the Qtip to make the pins an the top edge of the mold look like it had been moistened. I tried it, an lo an behold it worked just as good as when i applied my usual amount.
So now even the little amount that i receive with the NOE moulds will last for multiple months. Thank you one an all.
Kevin

softpoint
01-03-2010, 09:45 AM
I haven't used any yet, either, but that is likely to change soon , as I'm seeing everyone here likes it. .Never used any speed green, either, but I have enough stuff here to make a gallon or so of Felix lube, thats what I've been using .
Do you guys have your products listed on your website?

Three-Fifty-Seven
01-03-2010, 10:00 AM
I have not used anything else . . . I'm Happy

Will last me a LONG time!

Down South
01-03-2010, 10:03 AM
I haven’t dumped mine yet. I still have a lot in the original bottle that I got over a year ago. I use just a dab on the end of a Q-Tip for each casting session. This stuff goes a long way. Just a little dab will do ya.

RayinNH
01-03-2010, 11:33 AM
I haven’t dumped mine yet. I still have a lot in the original bottle that I got over a year ago. I use just a dab on the end of a Q-Tip for each casting session. This stuff goes a long way. Just a little dab will do ya.

Have you tried it yet as a replacement for Brylcreem :mrgreen:...Ray

Typecaster
01-03-2010, 11:45 AM
I gave my dad a project of resizing approx. 10,000 5.56 mil cases and 3,000 7.62 with Bullplate. He used less than 1/2 a bottle, and said it was good stuff. Obviously, a little goes a long way.

Richard

ph4570
01-03-2010, 12:15 PM
It would seem that my two jugs will last forever. Bullplate works well. Husqvarna 2-cycle chain saw oil works just as well and the jug is bigger and much less likely to spill so I always seem to grab it to use.

xr650
01-03-2010, 12:42 PM
I'm a dumper.
Seems I needed a new top coat on my pro melt.
Saved less than half the bottle with my cat like reflexes.:veryconfu
Still using the same bottle after two years.

I know a lot development went into the lube, but I think it took longer to figure out the flat looking rounded bottom. :mrgreen:

Bullshop Junior
01-03-2010, 05:35 PM
This is something a friend of mine PMed me after I started this thread. I am using this with his permission. I will also post this on the Bullplate thread.

I have no idea how long a bottle of Bullplate will last, ten years I guess. What I know for sure is that I don't want to be without it. I am a ladle caster. My experience has been that if I dip a Q-Tip into the BP until 1/3 of the cotton is wet, I have plenty for a one or two cavity mould. For four cavity moulds I need to use maybe 1/2 the cotton wet. Then I wipe it off as the instructions say. I shoot about 4,000 CB a year. My casting sessions are about 2-3 hours and one application of BP usually is all that is needed for a session. One of these days I need to order an extra bottle just in case I spill it. There wasn't enough space in the poll for all I wanted to say about BP. You can consider this an unsolicited testimonial. I have given a couple of bottles to friends, gotta get back to them to see what their opinion is.

Blammer
01-03-2010, 06:21 PM
I used mine to make speed green, well all of them but one. :)

Iowa Fox
01-03-2010, 07:10 PM
I'm still on my first bottle I ordered several years ago. I'm planning on retiring this summer and I hope to enjoy more casting time at a relaxed pace. Unless I spill this first bottle I think it will outlast me.

I keep the same q-tip in my box that I use over and over. I just rub it on the bottom of the lid after I unscrew it and about a fourth of a drop is plenty.

I like speed green lube also. It gives me nice tight little groups.

SciFiJim
01-03-2010, 07:27 PM
A question just occurred to me. I have heard about using boolit lube to lube molds with. Can you use speedgreen to lube molds with, or will the beeswax cause problems?

Bullshop Junior
01-03-2010, 07:58 PM
A question just occurred to me. I have heard about using boolit lube to lube molds with. Can you use speedgreen to lube molds with, or will the beeswax cause problems?
The beeswax in the lube will burn on and built up, and that will cause problems.

jerrold
01-03-2010, 07:58 PM
I bought some stuff from bull shop a couple years ago and they sent me a sample bottle. I usually use a Q-tip to swab the top of the container after shaking it a little. That is all I need to prep my molds. Boy that is cheap!!!!!!!!!!!!! If i don't spill it I guess it will last longer than i do.:violin:

Lunk
01-04-2010, 08:08 AM
So is the rounded bottom bottle a standard marketing ploy?:kidding:

Seriously tho, it sounds as if you may have produced too good a product. If I only need to order a bottle every few years how will you make any money off of me?

I don't have a problem with getting an exceptional value you understand, but if you sell everyone 1 or 2 bottles and we don't need anymore for years what happens to us when you go out of business due to lack of sales?
:groner:

Three-Fifty-Seven
01-04-2010, 02:53 PM
I also lubed my ram on my rock chucker . . . works good!

Thanx!

1Shirt
01-06-2010, 01:51 PM
Probably time for me to order a couple of btls again for me and son in law. Have managed to tip over a couple of times, but salvaged most of it. Great stuff.
1Shirt!:coffeecom

mmorris
01-20-2010, 11:20 PM
What is this "dumping" everyone talks about? :bigsmyl2:

(1 3/8" hole is a nice tight fit)

I didn't vote because there is no "I don't know" option. :roll:

Bad Water Bill
01-21-2010, 05:06 AM
Great idea[smilie=w:

When did they start putting labels on the bottles?

mmorris
01-21-2010, 09:39 AM
When did they start putting labels on the bottles?

Shortly after they arrived at my house. :lol:

Just something else I do for fun.

DLCTEX
01-21-2010, 11:22 AM
I also didn't vote due to there not being an I don't know option. In more than 2 years I haven't lowered the contents appreciably. I will not be without it. I have avoided spilling it by immediately putting the cap on after wetting the Q-tip. I lube a couple 2 cav's, then drop the Q-tip in a Zip-lock and use it again next casting session.

mmorris
01-21-2010, 11:51 AM
I have avoided spilling it by immediately putting the cap on after wetting the Q-tip.

I always have a mold (mould?... the thing I'm putting the Bull Plate on) in one hand, so before I made the "anti-dump base" I always left the cap off. I almost dumped it numerous times trying to replace the cap one-handed. Yeah, I could put the boolit thingy down but that's just not the way my brain works. [smilie=l:

The base makes it really hard to knock the bottle over while it's open, and it also makes one-handed recapping easier. :idea:

BD
01-21-2010, 01:35 PM
It's great stuff, and I definitely spill more than I use.
BD

smokemjoe
01-24-2010, 05:40 PM
I waste more on the Q tip then I need on the spruce plate, Only thing is wrong with this stuff is that we didnt have it back in the 60s,I forgot last winter and left it out in the shed but it worked this summer. I told Richard Lee about it and he was very interested in it,He said he has heard of different things but never worked. Gave him your address, that was when we were woking on the 41 Swiss dies, Hope he got some, Joe

.30/30 Guy
01-25-2010, 12:01 PM
Bullplate is the greatest thing since the electric furnace.

Treated one mold and it has not required anymore for three casting sessions.

xringshutr
01-26-2010, 12:00 AM
About 20 minutes. Long enough to melt the beeswax in the double boiler to mix up a batch of Speedgreen. [smilie=s:

Truthfully, a long, long, long, time when used for it's intended purpose.

jonk
01-26-2010, 10:44 AM
Never much cared for it for its intended use. It may do what it is supposed to, I'll grant you, but I never saw the need. I don't care if there is a slight lead smear on the sprue cutter, as long as the base is cut cleanly and not torn I'm fine. About the only place I use it for lube is on the hinge pin on the mold handles. And while it works a treat there, it doesn't do any better than some high temp silicon based oil. So I give it a 3/5 as a mold lubricant.

I did use some to make speed green and quite liked it. However shortly thereafter someone gave me 5 sticks of 50/50 lube so when the speed green ran out I started on that. I'm about out of that now so I may be placing an order so as to make more speed green. I found it comprable to felix lube in performance but a bit easier to make.

So far as dumping goes..... I could see how one could do that but really, I mean.... just set the bottle down the bench from you far enough that you won't hit it. Too expensive to afford to dump.

quasi
01-27-2010, 08:14 PM
BP makes a great lube for dead centers on my lathes.

copdills
01-27-2010, 08:19 PM
great stuff, if you don't knock it over it last a very long time, its all I use

GLL
01-27-2010, 09:15 PM
The one bottle BOUGHT will last forever !

I keep acquiring NOE moulds and getting the free samples. I now have a dozen of those ! :) :)

I tip over the little squeeze bottles but they do not spill ! :) :)

Jerry

blaser.306
07-22-2010, 10:52 PM
I've cast several thousand boolits with the samples sent with noe moulds and made one batch of speed green , and still have 5 full size bottles left in the reloading room I guess I will have to live forever !!

uncle joe
07-22-2010, 11:25 PM
well I used most of a bottle making some speed green, it dont last long like that, but as far as on molds, it goes on with a q tip which i save and it takes less than a drop for a heap of boolits. Great stuff!!!!!!!!!!!!

07-23-2010, 12:18 AM
I need to get me some of this stuff......

No_1
07-23-2010, 05:10 AM
I thought I had posted on this one but I guess I only voted. My first bottle lasted just seconds before I knocked it over, the other dozen or so have lasted forever (so far).

R.

Iowa Fox
07-24-2010, 11:58 AM
If I live long enough to use up the first bottle I'll be happy.

a.squibload
07-24-2010, 01:04 PM
Just got mine yesterday, already half gone, thought it was salad dressing.

I paid the extra $97 for the flat-bottom bottle.

It's labeled, just something I do at home for fun.:bigsmyl2:

BACK TO REALITY:

I forgot I'll be getting a bottle with the NOE mold, guess I have plenty now!