PDA

View Full Version : Boolit dilemma

Rusty W
01-02-2010, 12:31 AM
I've been casting my own for about 3 years now, a BIG thanks to Cast Boolits for the help. I have several commercial cast boolits I haven't shot because I shoot the ones I cast instead. I thought I'd use these to just melt down and cast my own if I ever ran low on WW's but they are taking up space on my reloading bench and thought I may sell/trade them for something I could use. I have not got an actual count yet but I have approx. 2-300, 240gr RNFP .430, 200 or so 250gr RNFP for the 45 colt, 2-300 200gr SWC .452 for 45acp., 100-150 300gr TCFP .459 for 45/70. They run 18-20BHN according to the Lee tester. There maybe a couple more I missed. I have about 100lbs of lino and don't even use it much since I just water drop the WW's. I could always use 30 & 45 cal gas checks. And there's a couple molds going on in the group buy going on now that I'm drooling over. What would you guys do? Keep them or sell/trade for something else you could use?

lwknight
01-02-2010, 01:04 AM
I would try to trade off the commercial boolits and keep the lino for an investment or for friends. Eventually, you will use up your clip-on wheel weights and need the lino to mix with whatever you might come up with. You could cut the commercial cast 50/50 with pure lead and add about 1% tin to keep the clipon WW equivelant.

Buckshot
01-02-2010, 01:19 AM
.............Over the years I've had people discard quantities of cast boolits in my direction. If they weren't for a caliber I loaded for they got dumped into the scrap box. Ditto small quantities would go to the same place. For the useable quantities, if they miked out and weren't filthy I'd try some to see how they did. After doing that I'd either load them up, set them to one side for later use or into the scrap bin they'd go.

If I were you and those you mentioned had worked for you in the past I'd load them up as 'Grab 'n' Go' range ammo. I do this with 38 target loads. I paid a guy $20 for five 25lb shot bags full of 38 cal 148WC's. They looked like those commercial dip lubed slugs (dark gray color) and they shot well from my K38. I keep several hundred loaded and on hand.

..............Buckshot