PDA

View Full Version : Made my first batch!

cricco
01-01-2010, 10:42 PM
Last night I got my new equipment set up, and maade my first batch of cast boolits! Using a Lee Production Pot IV and Lee .45 200gr swc mold. I was amazed that they came out so well. Though I did this in my basement, but I'm reading that melting lead at casting temps does not give off any toxic lead fumes. True?

http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c341/harley387/IMG_0776.jpg
http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c341/harley387/IMG_0779.jpg
http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c341/harley387/IMG_0775.jpg

docone31
01-01-2010, 10:47 PM
Mold looks a little cool. Just a slight wrinkleing on the first row in the lower picture.
I do not much know about the vapours, I have an evacuative fan system.
It looks good.
Welcome.

Bob J
01-01-2010, 10:58 PM
Nice looking boolits....... Welcome to the wonderful world of cast boolits.... :bigsmyl2:

Typical casting temperatures should not create much of an airborne problem for you..... The only concern I would raise is if you are eating, drinking or smoking while casting or immediately after.... ;-)

lwknight
01-01-2010, 11:06 PM
When I had a blood test years ago and thoughtthat I would be off the scale because of my melting stuff habit. It turned out that I was lower than average. Probably because I quit actually eating lead when I got to be a teenager.

Seriously, ingetsion is by far the most common path of contamination. Wash after handling lead and do not eat around any lead. Oxides that form in the pot or even on cool lead ingots are what is a problem. Its like dust, so don't fluff it and inhale.

The little bit of lead that might get into your quarry will not amount to anything. You just pass it through

cricco
01-01-2010, 11:12 PM
So, then is casting in my basement a health issue? I do have windows, but it's about 5 degrees outside, and I would rather not open them.

Heavy lead
01-01-2010, 11:16 PM
I cast in the basement, but I have an exhaust fan running as well. Wife would kill me if I didn't, besides I don't like the stink from fluxing and such. Boolits look right fine for the first time. Welcome to the chronic.

blikseme300
01-02-2010, 10:48 AM
Cricco,

Good stuff!

There seems to be a small problem though. Look at the 2nd from left, front row, in pic 3. Notice that the shoulder is round. This indicates that the mold did not completely fill.

Most likely you just need to cast hotter. What alloy are you using? I cast the same boolit, but from a Lee 6-banger. When using straight WW's I could not get sharp shoulders. I added some tin and the problem disappeared. BTW, this boolit is not the easiest to cast well so you are doing great.

Bliksem

http://bliksemseplek.com/boolits.html

Shiloh
01-02-2010, 11:09 AM
Now you're hooked. Great start!!

As stated, experiment with a bit hotter mold. Also stated is the common sense part of handling lead. Don't have sandwich or chips and salsa while casting. A fan to circulate the air will be fine.

I don't blame you for not wanting to open the window. I cast in the garage. It is currently -17.
I won't be casting till about mid March. Fortunately I cast a bunch before winter set in here, anticipating the brutal weather.

I will load up .38 and .357. The other thing I do this time of year is brass prep. I have military brass that need primer crimps removed and sizing. Plenty to do yet before casting and shooting season.

SHiloh

cricco
01-02-2010, 03:43 PM
Cricco,

Good stuff!

There seems to be a small problem though. Look at the 2nd from left, front row, in pic 3. Notice that the shoulder is round. This indicates that the mold did not completely fill.

Most likely you just need to cast hotter. What alloy are you using? I cast the same boolit, but from a Lee 6-banger. When using straight WW's I could not get sharp shoulders. I added some tin and the problem disappeared. BTW, this boolit is not the easiest to cast well so you are doing great.

Bliksem

http://bliksemseplek.com/boolits.html

These were cast using straight wheel weights. After reading this, I checked them over again for rounded edges. There were 2 boolits with slightly rounded shoulders. The rest look good to me. I just purchased 60 lbs of ww ingots on sleazebay, so that I can practice a bit more. I don't want to smelt lead in my basement, and it's really cold outside. Once the weather warms up, I have a bunch of lead flashing to smelt. I just need some advice on what to add to make it hard enough for boolits. Thanks for all the advice and kind words guys! I am soooo hooked on this stuff already!

RobS
01-02-2010, 04:28 PM
Good go around for the 1st bit............you don't have to let cold air in; take a fan either a box fan or a window fan, reverse it (turn it around) and blow the fumes to the outside. I have a friend who even made a make shift shroud from carboard and ducktape that attaches to top of the window. Works for him.

MtGun44
01-02-2010, 05:14 PM
Ventilation in the basement is to keep your family from killing you due to nasty smells
and smoke from fluxing or junk in the pot. Lead does not vaporize significantly at
casting temps. Do not melt it with an oxy-acetylene welding torch, though, this is hot
enough to vaporize lead easily (several thousand degrees). So - rigging a fume hood
(old range hood will work) to suck up fumes and vent outside is a good idea, mostly
to keep from stinking up the whole house.

Bill

Phat Man Mike
01-02-2010, 08:06 PM
:drinks: welcome to the group! and nice first cast! bet your hooked now! I would put some kinda fan in the window blowing out IMHO. :castmine:

jimb16
01-02-2010, 09:21 PM
It starts with a single mold, then a second, then another and another and SUDDENLY..........

fredj338
01-03-2010, 12:21 AM
Good first run! As to venting, the guys are right, it's the other stuff like fluxing oder that gets to you. You can make a simple vent. Get a kitchen hood & fan & place it over your casting area. Run a vent hose to the window & put a 6" wide sheet of plywood in the open window & run the hose thru that. When you are done, pull the plywood out & close the window.

Doble Troble
01-03-2010, 12:29 AM
Turn up the temp and perfect bullets will follow. That's a great mold for 45 ACP. I size them to 0.451, lube with BAC, seat over 5 gr Unique until the top driving band and case mouth meet and they shoot reliably and accurate. PS, 100% reliability didn't come until I got a Lee post-sizing die.

hedgehorn
01-03-2010, 01:19 AM
welcome aboard. I think they look great. Shootum~!

45-70 Chevroner
01-03-2010, 01:54 AM
Not trying to be smart here but Tin/lead solder alloy the first number is always the Tin ie. 63/37 solder means 63% tin. FYI check on google or yahoo. Type in Tin 50-50 Solder..
Great boolits cricco much better than my 1st atempt which was 38 years ago. You will! have ups and downs but you already have the desease so learn to live with it. I would definately use some venting. I do not like to cast indoors at all even in my garage unless the door is open. I do all my casting in warmer weather. I know the itch gets pretty bad some times but your health is much more important. There are other toxins besides lead. I saw someone mentioned arsnick do not add this to your lead when making boolits indoors. I could not find the post about the arsnick so it must have been pulled.

dualsport
01-03-2010, 02:16 AM
At normal casting temperatures casting in the basement is safe. No airborne lead, just odors possibly offensive to someone. Good job on your first run.

WHITETAIL
01-03-2010, 09:58 AM
cricco,[smilie=s: Welcome to the insane asilum!
Now that you have been bitten by the
lead bug, their is no cure.
You will be getting more into it and
not realising it.
Soon you will be driving down the road.
And come to a full stop just to pick up
a WW.
So be forworned!:veryconfu

Wayne Smith
01-03-2010, 10:03 AM
Cricco, can you have a fire in your back yard? If so, carefully sort out zinc ww's out of your stash, start a big fire, put your wws in a big pot and put them on the fire. Keep warm and melt your wws at the same time!

Welcome to the coolest site on the internet!