PDA

View Full Version : help a dummy out

Beekeeper
01-01-2010, 09:51 PM
Does anyone know what a Rook Rifle is?
I keep hearing people talk about them but have never seen one!

This isn't the same as an Asperly Aimless is it

Jim

iron mule
01-01-2010, 09:58 PM
hey beekeeper a rook rifle is a small caliber rifle that was used in europe for small game hunting around the turn of the centry before this one// least ways this is my understanding on this // they still have matches over there and here called rook matches not sure exactly of the rules but i think you shoot at small targets at different ranges kinda set up like trail fied archery i believe/// may be right on this may be wrong but best i can do
mule

montana_charlie
01-01-2010, 11:11 PM
http://www.scribd.com/doc/13573205/The-British-Rook-Rifle-s

Bent Ramrod
01-01-2010, 11:51 PM
A rook is a European bird somewhat like our crow. Rook rifles were generally break-open, small Martini or falling-block single shots in calibers from .22 rimfire to .38 Long centerfire. They were used in England for pests (like rooks) and small game. A lot of them were converted to hot .22's or .410 shotguns in response to changing shooting fashions or tightening gun regulations, so rook rifles in the original calibers are now sought after by enthusiasts and collectors.

docone31
01-01-2010, 11:58 PM
One of us worked up some loads on an Heeled Rook Casting!
It was fascinating to see.
Much like our .22. The case heeled into the base.

Beekeeper
01-02-2010, 01:25 AM
What a cool little rifle
Is there a following for them here in the states?

I have often heard people talk about them but had no idea they had such a history.

According to the article almost any 22 break open single shot would qualify.
Some of the calibers seem strange to me today but in their hey day were great cartridges for their use .

Thanks for all the info.
See, I have once again improved my knowledge here on the forum.

Jim

rhead
01-02-2010, 07:54 AM
The NEF and Rossi in the pistol calibers are modern redneck replicas of a Rook Rifle.

Rockydog
01-03-2010, 02:16 AM
Here's a pic of a nice Rook Rifle from another board. (click on it for a larger pic)