PDA

View Full Version : Bullet Casting

neilin
01-01-2010, 03:51 PM
I cast my bullets in a cold ventilated garage. I need suggestions on how to provide proper ventilation for casting in my basement. Any casters out there with opinions on this?

mold maker
01-01-2010, 03:58 PM
A used range hood with an outside vent, served me well for several years. (no plastic fans)

bbs70
01-01-2010, 04:04 PM
I melt scrap lead to make ingots and I cast boolits in my garage.
While I cast boolits I keep a side window open and the thermostat on my heater turned down, just enough so I don't get too cold.

I personally don't like casting in my basement, I know some of us don't have a choice though.
I'm concerned about the lead and flux fumes circulating upstairs even with a vent fan leaving a lingering odor.
Also the risk of the lead fumes being inhaled by my wife.
I worked around lead for some years ( with all the safety equipment and precautions) and I still had an elevated lead blood level.
I don't want this to happen to my wife.

As I said some of us don't have a choice.
So, I would recommend a range hood vented to the outside.
I would think the closer the hood is to the top of the melting furnace the less chance fumes would escape into your home.
And a good quality respirator.

mpmarty
01-01-2010, 04:27 PM
Lead doesn't form airborne particles that can be inhaled or ingested below some ridiculous temperature way beyond the normal <800* used in boolit casting. Flux on the other hand can be nasty stuff to inhale, like being in a small room lit by a large number of candles.

Kskybroom
01-01-2010, 04:34 PM
CRS is in high gear today... Sometime back a treand on Pot in a wooden box vent hood on top vented to outside???? ANYBODY remember

Edubya
01-01-2010, 04:43 PM
I have an attic fan filling up the exterior window and a box fan behind me giving a positive pressure environment. No smell and no smoke, even when I'm fluxing.
I've used this set-up for paint spraying and a number of other non-family or household friendly chores.
EW

Fugowii
01-01-2010, 05:04 PM
I cast my bullets in a cold ventilated garage. I need suggestions on how to provide proper ventilation for casting in my basement. Any casters out there with opinions on this?

I built this out of a scrap Compaq computer case. Vents out the cellar window
behind with a standard four inch dryer vent. Works great!

http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i227/BP_2006/DSC_4132a.jpg

MT Gianni
01-01-2010, 05:46 PM
An old hair dryer and a cardboard hood should move enough air to keep odors out of the house.
Run the hood over the pot and put the hair dryer in the top. Vent it out with 2" pvc. If you have one that is burned out so much the better.

MtGun44
01-01-2010, 06:10 PM
What mpmarty said.

Lead does not vaporize measurabley at anywhere near normal casting temps.
You are keeping stinky fluxing smoke out of the house, a peace in the family issue,
not a safety issue.

Bill