PDA

View Full Version : .41 DEWC Interest?

Leftoverdj
05-26-2006, 07:42 PM
How many folks want a 200 grain DEWC for the .41 Mag? It'll be a Lee six holer, and the drawing should be posted shortly.

45 2.1
05-26-2006, 08:06 PM
The 41-200-DEWC for your veiwing pleasure:

Hackleback
05-27-2006, 08:17 AM
Anything .41 catches my eye! I was thinking about a 41 "plinker" GB, this may be it. The down side is that WC will not feed through the Marlin 1894 FG rifles so many of us have.

Just some random thoughts

felix
05-27-2006, 09:26 AM
Only one good way to find out to see if a WC feeds. Have someone make you some brass slugs on a lathe, each with a different diameter, say 411, 412, 413, 414. See how far out you can seat the boolit and cycle through the magazine. Use a fired case and fill it with lube to set the overall length. Do it many times with the same, and final slug. Lube springback is the killer here, so make it tighter and tighter, stickier and stickier, to seat and hold the length. Let the rifling set the final length. My gun takes a 205 length nose at 413. A 414 will not feed at all. A 411 boolit can be seated having a nose of 245 in length. One hellacious cavern of a chamber I have here. Mighty fine bullsheet to say the least. ... felix

Bodydoc447
05-28-2006, 08:57 PM
I'd buy at least one mould.

Doc

porkchop bob
05-28-2006, 09:11 PM
I will buy one. Thanks,

Bob

JudgeBAC
05-30-2006, 02:53 PM
Count me in. I started this mess with my post on the hollow base mold.

You might want to go back to the original thread and cross reference this thread to drum up interest.

ebner glocken
05-30-2006, 03:32 PM
I would be interested.

felix
05-31-2006, 10:14 AM
Would it be more universal if we changed the nose for easier feeding (revolter and rifle)? ... felix

alamogunr
05-31-2006, 01:50 PM
Would it be more universal if we changed the nose for easier feeding (revolter and rifle)? ... felix

You guys are killing me! I would be in for one even if the nose is changed or not.

John
"alamogunr"

porkchop bob
05-31-2006, 03:13 PM
I was under the impression a DEWC was designed to speed up reloading as you did not have to spend any time making sure the corrent end was up. A second saved when you are loading thousands of practice rounds for the police adds up. I do not think our group will be making this type of production run. A small 'hat' to make it fly better is ok as long as the hole in the paper target is clean and easy to read.

Bob

Bodydoc447
05-31-2006, 03:24 PM
I'm with Bob. Anything I can feed through my revolvers and make clean holes in targets is at least a one mould buy for me. Just because it is .41 caliber. Can't have enough .41 caliber moulds.

Doc

45 2.1
05-31-2006, 03:47 PM
Whatever Emmett wants as he's the one who wrote DEWC several times.:-P :-P :-P

fourarmed
05-31-2006, 06:05 PM
Whatever the group/honcho decides, I will take one. I was happy enough with the original Lee 208 gr. that I would prefer it to a DEWC.

Leftoverdj
06-01-2006, 12:22 AM
I have no objection to a hat. Got strong objections to complicating a simple project. If 45 2.1 doesn't mind adding a hat and keeping the weight around 200 grains, that's fine with me. If there's strong support for the Lee 208 at .413, that's fine with me. What I am not gonna do is to spent weeks wrangling over minor details.

Get a WC design and a consensus within a week and we'll go with it. Otherwise, I shop the drawing we have around to as many boards as I can think of and try to get 25 buyers.

porkchop bob
06-01-2006, 01:31 AM
With or without a hat, I want a .41-200-WC. Would get 2 if that would take us to the magic 25 mark. I do not have a problem in feeding DEWC in my 38SPL. Do not expect to have one with my 657. Do not take my earlier comment as wanting a WC with a cap over a DEWC. Just that I will take either one that is available.

Bob

Bodydoc447
06-04-2006, 08:24 AM
I am just along for the ride. I am thinking this ought to be a really fun plinking bullet out of all my revolvers but especially my Taurus Tracker. Its cylinder is too short for some of the others I like, e.g. Lyman 41032. Thanks for the work on this one 45 2.1 and Emmett.

Doc

45 2.1
06-04-2006, 10:20 AM
I have another version with a button nose and PB. Unfortunately, this computer i'm on will only save as a Bitmap with a too large of file size for the upload to accept. Your going to have to wait until I get my own computer up and running to see it or any other picture. Darn machines anyway. Yeah, it's worth waiting for.

Lloyd Smale
06-04-2006, 06:31 PM
Id take one of any style as long as it aint a tumble lube design

JOE MACK
06-05-2006, 03:57 AM
Thanks, but I'll pass on this. I'm satisfied with the Lyman 41026 mold I've got. They work real well for short range target work or small critters. [smilie=1:

JOE

Bodydoc447
06-05-2006, 01:33 PM
I have a 41026 also. Great mould. But mine is a single cavity. I like to have more production than that for my time investment. Especially for plinking and target work. I am in for just about any of the designs discussed. I am looking forward to 45 2.1's drawing when he gets the smoke put back in his hard drive. Thanks guys!

Doc

KevMT
06-06-2006, 10:10 PM
Man you guys are going to put me in the poor house. Or maybe just the dog house. I'm in for one and I'm not real particular about the nose design.

KEv

Cayoot
06-07-2006, 05:55 PM
I gotta have one too!

BluesBear
06-13-2006, 03:23 AM
I'm game for one.

Bodydoc447
06-15-2006, 04:11 PM
I am just stirring the pot a little. Hope this one is still on track.

BTT,

Doc

Cayoot
06-15-2006, 04:51 PM
I'm still interested. I thought we had a honcho and everything. I hope this one doesn't die before we get the moulds ordered!

BluesBear
06-15-2006, 10:26 PM
I hope this one doesn't die before we get the moulds ordered!Same here. I have been search for .41 wadcutter moulds for ages.
I'd almost kill for a H&G #255 although I wish they had made a longer version like they did for the .429 #107. (I'd also almost kill for a #107A & 107B)
Same goes for a Lyman #41026 & #41027.

Does anyone have any experience with Lee hollow base wadcutter moulds?
Since Lee had developed a base pin that is attached and hinged to the mould why don't they make that in a multiple cavity version? Or will they on a special order? It seems to me that it would work just as well on a six cavity as it does on a single cavity.

I would simply love to have a six cavity .410 HBWC mould.

JudgeBAC
06-17-2006, 10:58 PM
Bluesbear: I just started casting with a 41027 hollow base wadcutter mold. I bought the mold for next to nothing but it had no base pin. Buckshot did a great job making one for me. I finished casting some today. Lubed they weigh 210 gr. with my alloy. Havent decided what load or powder to use yet but I'm looking forward to trying it out. I will post results when I get a chance to shoot them. Unfortunately, it will be several weeks before I can get back out to the range due to work and family committments.

Good Shooting. :castmine:

porkchop bob
06-18-2006, 12:32 AM
I have another version with a button nose and PB. Unfortunately, this computer i'm on will only save as a Bitmap with a too large of file size for the upload to accept. Your going to have to wait until I get my own computer up and running to see it or any other picture. Darn machines anyway. Yeah, it's worth waiting for.
I look forward to the new version and perhaps a poll to determine which of the two our group is more interested. As long as it is not a Tumble lube design, I will buy at least one.

Bob

Bodydoc447
06-18-2006, 09:29 AM
I am in for at least one of either. Probably two since .41 moulds are rare as hen's teeth. I am just riding the coat-tails of others' hard work and design ability.

Doc

felix
06-18-2006, 09:47 AM
Are there enough of us to warrent a group buy? Only about 10 of us? ... felix

porkchop bob
06-18-2006, 01:59 PM
Are there enough of us to warrent a group buy? Only about 10 of us? ... felix
Setup cost of $100 is waived for orders of 25 or more. If there are only 10, it just means instead of $58 the cost goes to $68 or so. That is not a major consideration. Felix, you know how to stir the pot. We go from a simple DEWC design together with a Honcho (?) to consideration of a WC with a Hat and no Honcho and when we are in a stand-by-to-stand-by mode awaiting the next design, you now ask "Are we enough?". I suggest waiting for the next design and then go from there. What's the rush?

Bob

felix
06-18-2006, 02:12 PM
No rush on my part, Bob. What's more on the burner in our area of endeavors is the 22 shootout Sundog and I are going to do, whenever, whenever. We do need a good 22 mold that holds heat for us casters who work outside, for either when it is cold inside of a shed, or when there is a cooling breeze under a shade tree. A four hole in a two banger block is what is desired. Aluminum molds are out in the pasture for this kind of requirement, unless well coated somehow. ... felix

Bodydoc447
06-18-2006, 09:27 PM
Regardless of a minor bump for a portion of the set up fee, I am in for at least one mould. I think most of .41 fans know that we don't necessarily get as big of a turnout as the .45s and .44s. Whatever you all decide, I am in for the long haul.

Doc

Cayoot
06-18-2006, 11:26 PM
I'm anxious for this one and am willing to chip in for the set-up fee.

I'm hoping to see this as a sticky gb taking money soon!

BluesBear
06-19-2006, 12:15 AM
JudgeBAC, you're a lucky man. I'd love to find one of those old Lyman 41027s.

I've been looking for four years now and haven't been able to dig up any .410 WC moulds for sale except for two on eBay that I was seriously sniped on.

Leftoverdj
06-19-2006, 10:41 AM
We aren't dead. I'm just waiting for 45 2.1 to get through his computer troubles and post the new version with the cap. We seem to break down into those who strongly want the cap and those who don't care, so we'll probably go with the cap.

The numbers don't bother me. We are nearly halfway there on a preliminary inquiry on one board. When we have settled on a firm design, those interested can repost the order form on the boards they frequent, and we'll get there pretty quick. My past projects have brought in orders from boards I had never even heard of.

45 2.1
06-19-2006, 09:27 PM
First try! I'm using some upgraded software that is difficult to debug, but hope to have the correct stuff later this week. See what you think, suggestions are welcome.

Cayoot
06-19-2006, 10:03 PM
They look great 45 2.1! I think that I prefer the last one (sans cap) because my main interest in this boolit is for rabbit hunting and shooting porky pines and coons. I think the complete flat meplat of the last (true wad cutter) would make it a more effective small game round at low velocities.

Thats my opinion anyways.

Thanks 45 2.1.

porkchop bob
06-19-2006, 10:47 PM
Any of the four designs can find a home with me.

Of the 3 with a cap, I like the one on the left best. Then it is a toss up between it and the DEWC.

Bob

alamogunr
06-19-2006, 10:54 PM
I'll be watching for the announcement that you are taking $ and orders. Any of the 4 are OK but I think the DEWC would be my first choice.

John

porkchop bob
06-19-2006, 11:04 PM
Buckshot, how hard would it be to take a 6-C mold that is
_ a DEWC design and convert three of the cavities to have a cap, or

_ a cap design and convert three of the cavities to be a DEWC?

Of the two, which would be easier to do?

I am thinking we can have our cake and eat it too. :Fire:

Bob

Bodydoc447
06-20-2006, 06:47 AM
VERY nice, 45 2.1! Any one of them is a winner. Of the ones with caps I kind of like the one second from the left. The DEWC w/o a cap would be great, too. I'm in for any of the designs shown.

Doc

BluesBear
06-20-2006, 06:51 AM
My first instinct was to prefer the second from the left.

But then I looked closer at the far left one and am pondering the possibilities of multiple crimping grooves.

felix
06-20-2006, 09:44 AM
If you ever get a Marlin rifle, you will find you can get a good 100 yards out of the ones having a cap with sufficient speed and accuracy to see some splash. Below the speed of sound, the cap would offer nothing. The 1st one on the left allows tailoring the seating depth for a longer rifle fit, plus allows more powder to make those 100 yard targets with some authority. I photoshopped this particular one and checked the linear crimping dimensions and they measure more than satisfactory for crimping rounds for either a Ruger, Smith, and Marlin. The top band cannot be more than 0.09 in length to fit in the early model Blackhawks, and this checks out fine. So does the bottom crimp groove. It provides a full caliber nose close to 0.205 which is the maximum at 413 diameter for a Marlin. The odds are my Marlin is not standard with that hellacious throat length, and so the intermediate crimp groove should handle a more correctly made gun. My only complaint is that I don't like sharp corners anywhere, and I would suggest for extreme casting accuracy that the angles be softened. 30 degrees anyway. ... felix

fourarmed
06-20-2006, 12:18 PM
I think either of the two on the left would be easier casting. The second from left is most like the original Lee WC I have used successfully.

KevMT
06-20-2006, 12:43 PM
I'm still happy with any of the 4 mentioned. With a preferance for the one on the left. I would point out however, that IF you use a LEE type push through sizer, the cap helps keep the boolits from stacking into a column and pushing off the top of the boolit collector on top of the die.

KevMT

45 2.1
06-20-2006, 07:56 PM
If you ever get a Marlin rifle, you will find you can get a good 100 yards out of the ones having a cap with sufficient speed and accuracy to see some splash. Below the speed of sound, the cap would offer nothing. The 1st one on the left allows tailoring the seating depth for a longer rifle fit, plus allows more powder to make those 100 yard targets with some authority. I photoshopped this particular one and checked the linear crimping dimensions and they measure more than satisfactory for crimping rounds for either a Ruger, Smith, and Marlin. The top band cannot be more than 0.09 in length to fit in the early model Blackhawks, and this checks out fine. So does the bottom crimp groove. It provides a full caliber nose close to 0.205 which is the maximum at 413 diameter for a Marlin. The odds are my Marlin is not standard with that hellacious throat length, and so the intermediate crimp groove should handle a more correctly made gun. My only complaint is that I don't like sharp corners anywhere, and I would suggest for extreme casting accuracy that the angles be softened. 30 degrees anyway. ... felix

On multi crimp groove version, the top band is 0.080", cap is 0.040", crimp grooves are 0.050" apart. The top band could be radiused like the old Lyman 38 WC molds and solve the catching problem.

Hackleback
06-20-2006, 10:27 PM
Well, I better jump in the fray here since I was the one that first commented about a "hat" on this slug.

The comments about soo few WC's for the 41 is well taken and I think that this GB should continue down that path.

I would like to see some type of flat round nose "plinker" as a group buy. flipping through the Lyman cast bullet handbook third Edition, on page page 284 they show bullet #45468, this profile is what I had in mind for the plinker.

I do not want to hijack this WC GB, in many ways it has more merrit than my concept (again due to the low #'s of WC moulds out there).

I urge all to forge ahead and save the plinker concept for another day (if there is enough intirest).

BTW, I am intirested in the WC mould and will likely purchase one.

BluesBear
06-21-2006, 12:21 AM
Based on the four samples, I will be up for one of whatever the group decides on. But if it's either one of the two on the left I'll be wanting two.

plb60
06-21-2006, 12:59 AM
i just picked up a smith and wesson 41 mag , and i am interested in two

azrednek
06-21-2006, 01:20 AM
I could go for any of the first three, I prefer the button nose design. If you should be short of one buyer and don't hear from me a reminder if possible would be sincerly appreciated. I'll be really busy the next several weeks and don't get much time on the computer. dnisbetATyahoo.com

Cayoot
06-21-2006, 08:42 AM
Here's a question:
Would it create a leading problem (or any other kind of problem) to load one of the 1st three designs (the "capped" designs) backwards? That way we could have the capped boolit for those who want it, and I could still have the big, wide, wad-cutter nose as I want.

Does anyone have any real experience with doing this? Does it affect down-range accuracy or anything else?

45 2.1
06-21-2006, 09:03 AM
Here's a question:
Would it create a leading problem (or any other kind of problem) to load one of the 1st three designs (the "capped" designs) backwards? That way we could have the capped boolit for those who want it, and I could still have the big, wide, wad-cutter nose as I want.

Does anyone have any real experience with doing this? Does it affect down-range accuracy or anything else?

It won't cause any problems, BUT accuracy won't be great past 50 yards. Actually, you would have no problems loading it normally. The target will receive the full brunt of the WC even with the button nose.

Cayoot
06-21-2006, 09:11 AM
It won't cause any problems, BUT accuracy won't be great past 50 yards. Actually, you would have no problems loading it normally. The target will receive the full brunt of the WC even with the button nose.

You think so? I read a report a while back about meplat size being the biggest deciding factor in a C.B. The meplat is what makes the cut and the boolit shoulders just sort of SQUEEZE through, somewhat like the ogive on a round nose.

After reading that article, I started doing some comparison on small and medium game using different meplats. My findings coincided with those of the report.

Since then, I have always been searching for the largest meplats that I can find.

felix
06-21-2006, 09:49 AM
What was the distance between the first and second meplat in that report? That makes all the difference in the world, and is a function of velocity and material being cut. Faster the velocity at impact, the distance between the meplats can be greater for the same cut to take place. Denser the material being cut, the distance between the meplats must be smaller for the same cut. That article must cover both of these parameters to be completely practical. ... felix

Cayoot
06-21-2006, 11:19 AM
Hmmm...new prameters to consider....however I am a low velocity kind of guy...I like big heavy lead moving at moderate speeds, which still means (if I understand your information correctly) that I need as large a meplate as possible. Also, if ranges are longer than anticipated when planning the hunt, velocities will (again) be lower than anticipated. Thus larger meplats are desireable.

Thanks

porkchop bob
06-21-2006, 12:12 PM
Hmmm...new prameters to consider.... Thus larger meplats are desireable.
The cap is a truncated triangle. There are ways to make the top wider
_ increase the length of the base
_ decrease the height
_ increase the angle
_ a combination of the above

Bob

felix
06-21-2006, 12:55 PM
Gotta' be reasonably careful here. Ideally, the cap/button should emulate exactly the ratios on the Eley 22 match ammo. These guys spent some time on the proper dimensioning. Failing that, my experience with the Lyman 358495 has been extensive, and it will cut clean holes through about anything up through 100 yards for sure. In fact, it's cap on my version has sorta' rounded edges, that is, not terribly sharp, but still sharp looking. The second meplat is not perfectly sharp either, and in my estimation, the design is mo'betta' thataway because of rough handling in tubs, and inserting them into chambers. ... felix

BluesBear
06-21-2006, 07:50 PM
for reference

porkchop bob
06-21-2006, 08:28 PM
More references
Eley ESP RNFP 40 grain

Perhaps this is the cap/button on the Eley 22 match ammo that Felix was discussing.

Got to learn how BluesBear is attaching his images.

Bob

BluesBear
06-21-2006, 08:29 PM
I think the hat designs from 45 2.1 are comparable to the Hensley & Gibbs #255 and the NEI #.411-190-WC.

I used the H&G #255 boolits for 15 years with excellent results at a wide variety of ranges and velocities. It is my most favorite ,410" boolit of all time. The only way H&G could have made it better was if they had offered a heavier version like they did with the #107.

felix
06-21-2006, 08:36 PM
OK, I now see what Eley did. Their hat, or rather teat, follows the ogive of the round nosed boolit. Probably best in the long run, but I flat just don't like the looks of it. Besides, we want a wadcutter with a hat, not a round nose. ... felix

felix
06-21-2006, 08:40 PM
Somebody want to do a few phone calls and see which of the commercial 41's shoot the best at 50, at 100? ... felix

Leftoverdj
06-21-2006, 10:04 PM
Cayoot, I really don't think a low cap makes a bit of difference in terminal effect. It certainly doesn't with paper and typical backer materials. I believe that it is only when the meplat is far enough forward for the initial shockwave to extent past the shoulder of the body that there is a difference.

My rough count shows the DEWC a bit ahead, but I am willing to hold off a few days to see if opinion solidifies around one of the capped versions.

Cayoot
06-21-2006, 10:37 PM
Cayoot, I really don't think a low cap makes a bit of difference in terminal effect. It certainly doesn't with paper and typical backer materials. I believe that it is only when the meplat is far enough forward for the initial shockwave to extent past the shoulder of the body that there is a difference.

My rough count shows the DEWC a bit ahead, but I am willing to hold off a few days to see if opinion solidifies around one of the capped versions.

Thanks, I'm betting that you are right about the terminal effect of a very small cap.

I'm in, regardless of what you decide.

porkchop bob
06-22-2006, 08:55 AM
After the educational side trip, it is obvious that our Boolit Designer 45 2.1 in Reply #38, has presented us with 4 good 41 caliber WC designs. Of the three with a cap, I like the one to the left as it provides options for seating the boolit due to its multiple crimping grooves.

At ranges more than 50 yards, stability and accuracy become a consideration. When you miss, why worry about impact effect?

The RNFP design is the one in which consideration of meplat is most often discussed. I suggest the lessons learned with that design do not apply to the WC with or without a cap as there is no roundness at all to allow the boolit to squeeze by pushing the tissue aside. Except for an extreme design, the effective impact surfaces presented by a WC with a cap are very close to that of a WC without a cap.

Between the button nose wad cutter (BNWC) at the far left or the double ended wad cutter (DEWC) at the far right, I would rather have the BNWC for the above reasons but will buy the DEWC if it is selected. Heck, I will buy any of the 4 and be happy.

Is it possible to have a poll to allow others to voice their desires? We have lots of readers compared to our writers. The readers and potential buyers will respond in a poll.

Thanks, Bob

Cayoot
06-22-2006, 09:15 AM
Between the button nose wad cutter (BNWC) at the far left or the double ended wad cutter (DEWC) at the far right, I would rather have the BNWC for the above reasons but will buy the DEWC if it is selected. Heck, I will buy any of the 4 and be happy.Thanks, Bob

Again, I have to ask...would it affect accuracy or creat leading issues to load the BNWC backwards so that I could have a full wadcutter (in effect) when I wanted to? It seems to me that if this can be done, then there is no reason not to choose one of the "capped" wadcutters.

felix
06-22-2006, 10:52 AM
Accuracy will be effected by the pressure remaining at the end of the barrel. Higher the pressure, the better the base seal of the boolit has to be. So, shooting at 750 fps or so, I would bet that you will see no difference worth talking about. Taking it on up to 1000 you should start seeing some accuracy difficulties, and adjustments might have to be made in burn rate of change to compensate. We are not talking powder speed per se, but the curve shape. If you have the same average pressure, you will have the same boolit velocity. Best to use powders that do not have a known top end pressure "problem", like being a little too forceful on a hot day versus a cold one. ... felix

fourarmed
06-22-2006, 12:17 PM
I agree that at bullseye distances and speeds, probably any of the four designs would work fine seated any way except crossways. I like number two just because it looks like it would fill out better, and you really don't need all the lube that 3 and 4 would hold. On the other hand, I guess I could learn to use liquid Alox and load them unsized.

porkchop bob
06-22-2006, 12:29 PM
... Accuracy will be effected by the pressure remaining at the end of the barrel. Higher the pressure, the better the base seal of the boolit has to be. .. felix
Felix, how does this compare to a boat tailed bullet? As long as the base is symmetrical, why should it matter?

Bob

Leftoverdj
06-22-2006, 12:54 PM
Bob, we could certainly have a poll, but I don't know how to copy the drawings to a poll thread, nor did I see a way to set up the poll I would like. Several, maybe most, have indicated that more than one design is acceptable. I'd like to see a poll that allows up to four choices with the top choice getting 4 points, the second 3 points, etc. That would reflect a more true consensus.

If anyone knows how to do this, feel free.

45 2.1
06-22-2006, 01:27 PM
A poll is fine, but number 1 is the most versital.

Cayoot
06-22-2006, 01:33 PM
Thanks for all the great information guys! :-D I'm gonna be happy with what ever boolit is chosen!

Bodydoc447
06-22-2006, 01:42 PM
This thread has been very educational for me. Thanks to all who have provided their experiences and knowledge. I am looking forward to seeing this one come to fruition whatever the final design. I will be delighted with which ever of the four designs is chosen.

Thank you gentlemen, one and all.

Doc

Leftoverdj
06-22-2006, 03:04 PM
Educational for me, too, in a different way. By nature, I am as independent and opinionated as a hog on ice. You can't successfully do group buys like that, and listening, accomodating, and still keeping things moving doesn't come easy to me.

Helps that any of the four designs will do me, and, apparently, most of the folks posting.

felix
06-22-2006, 03:20 PM
Typical boattails are perfectly square because they are swaged. A boattail should shoot at 750 out of a pistol, and in fact I think some have even won a match or two in the Bullseye circuit in CT (I spent 4 years doing that). ... felix

felix
06-22-2006, 04:13 PM
No matter what design is chosen, the center of gravity has to be commensurate for the boolit to perform accuracy wise. That is why some boolits shoot and others don't, just like the 44Man found out. He took the very same design and moved the grooves a little, and found that the second version was piss poor. No matter what we do, can be SNAFUed, so we might as well go with a design we all like, or think we like enough to take a chance. I am more worried about feeding into the Marlin, both ways: loading gate plus into the chamber. ... felix

porkchop bob
06-24-2006, 04:18 PM
1/ No matter what design is chosen, the center of gravity has to be commensurate for the boolit to perform accuracy wise.
2/ I am more worried about feeding into the Marlin, both ways: loading gate plus into the chamber. ... felix
Felix, 1/ of the 4 designs provided in reply #38, are there any that do not have an acceptable Center of Gravity? I am unable to tell just by looking. 2/ I do not have a Marlin rifle in this caliber. It appears that loading any plain base boolit upside down would allow you to test how the DEWC design will work. The BNWC should be less demanding. Has anybody tried this?
Bob

45 2.1
06-27-2006, 07:45 AM
No matter what design is chosen, the center of gravity has to be commensurate for the boolit to perform accuracy wise. That is why some boolits shoot and others don't, just like the 44Man found out. He took the very same design and moved the grooves a little, and found that the second version was piss poor. No matter what we do, can be SNAFUed, so we might as well go with a design we all like, or think we like enough to take a chance. I am more worried about feeding into the Marlin, both ways: loading gate plus into the chamber. ... felix

Center of gravity has little basis here since the overall design is a short range number and is longer than 1.5 calibers. The only question is do we want to radius the front band slightly to improve feeding in the lever action rifles. I think it would be a good idea to do that on the button nose numbers, but would not be good on the DEWC. So, now where are we going with this?

BluesBear
06-27-2006, 07:53 AM
Well, personally I never expect full wadcutters to feed well.
That just wasn't/isn't in their nature.

Maybe I'm old fashioned but if I want reliable feeding I'll go with a more traditional SWC design.

As for the designs submitted, the more I look at #1 the more I prefer it hands down over all of the others.

But that's just my opinion and it's worth exactly twice what you paid for it.

porkchop bob
06-29-2006, 02:17 PM
Center of gravity has little basis here since the overall design is a short range number and is longer than 1.5 calibers. The only question is do we want to radius the front band slightly to improve feeding in the lever action rifles. I think it would be a good idea to do that on the button nose numbers, but would not be good on the DEWC. So, now where are we going with this?
I have a Marlin rifle on order in 41 caliber. The S&W 657 is what I now use to shot this caliber. I have several SWC and RN moulds that can be used in the rifle. I do have one 4-C BNWC and it shoots fine in the 657. Have never turned it over and expect I never will. I will see what happens with the BNWC in 10 days when I have the rifle. Will issue a report of my findings.

For 45 2.1, in the meantime, could you provide a design with the front band slightly turned to have a radius? As you said, it may address its use in a rifle. I am sure I could take a file to a few boolits to duplicate the shape and see how they work in the rifle.

My reading of the comments is we want a WC and also want it to feed in a rifle. Such requirements do appear to be in conflict. The suggested design change may be a solution that can be accepted by those looking for a true WC design and be able to feed in a rifle.

For 45 2.1, as you said, 'Where are we going with this?' There has been only one comment since then.
_ BluesBear says he never expect full wadcutters to feed well. That just wasn't/isn't in their nature.
__ That looks like a vote that a radius is not needed.

_ As far as I am concerned, I like the BNWC and if it comes with a radius, I will still take it. If it actually will feed in my rife, that is just an unexpected bonus.

I think others will need to see the suggested design before they can come to a decision.

Thanks, Bob

45 2.1
06-29-2006, 02:41 PM
The loaded length along with a slight radius on the front band is what will get the rifle to feed properely. I used to shoot a buddys 38 Super Colt. He loaded 148 gr. WC boolits about half depth and crimped them. It was a very reliable piece. The only other thing that might come into play is a sharp chamber edge. Several folks have mentioned this and have came up with remedies for it.

Leftoverdj
07-01-2006, 12:34 PM
I'm not minded to make any substantial modiification to this project for Marlin rifles. The number of people wanting to shoot wadcutters in such rifles is too small compared to the number of people who just want a wadcutter for revolvers.

For what it's worth, my .44 Mag Marlin feeds both the Lee WC and a 180 grain Lyman WC with only the occasional jiggle needed.

I've got 4th of July stuff demanding my time. If I hear no serious objections, we'll go with #1, and I'll get the order form up shortly after the 4th.

475/480
07-13-2006, 01:01 PM
I hope this didn't fall thru the cracks.

Sean

porkchop bob
07-16-2006, 08:36 AM
I hope this didn't fall thru the cracks.

Sean
LEFTOVERDJ has started a new thread .41 WC Group Buy for processing the GB for this mold. Please go there and lets get the orders rolling in. I can not wait to get mine. Three cheers to all who have added their comments and suggestions towards the selection of the design and a Hip Hip Horay to LEFTOVERDJ and 45 2.1 for making it happen. :drinks:

Bob